7 4.2%

3 1.8%

16 9.6%

• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
Ukraine-scaled.jpg

ClaudiuP

I've listened to the songs from semi 2 and I only like "Bonfire". I thought that girl from The Voice Kids will come up with something better, but she'll probably do well because she can sing.

I'm waiting for the Verkovna Rada to pass on the law stating that Katya Chilli and Khayat can't perform in any public gathering or on TV, internet etc or in front of a group of more than 2 persons, so I'm hopeful that he won't be allowed to perform in the semi.

Last edited:

Mrm

Veteran
@ClaudioP

What is your problem with Slavic ethno? xshrug

ClaudiuP

@ClaudioP

What is your problem with Slavic ethno? xshrug

I absolutely love it, but when it's something of good quality, not when it's an absolute kitsch and an outrage to good taste in music like the so called artist Katya Chilli or Khayat.

The Ukrainian song "Kray", originally performed by Sofia Rotaru is one of my absolute favourite songs.

Сheck it out

Mrm

Veteran
@ClaudiuP

OMG, that s not real ethno, it is schalger with some ethno touch (not even real elements). :D
And it is more on the kitsch side..
I personally like it, it reminds me of Soviet entries for festival Slavianski Bazaar in Vitebsk in Belarus.. :lol:
But it is not real ethno Claudiu..
Katya Chilly and Khayat are mysterious songs with great, real ethno touch and elements, but OK if you don't like it, I understand.. :D

Uto

Veteran
Ukraine, semi 2, my preview. Listening to these songs was not a punishment, but it wasn't quite like semi 1, but that's not a problem, I don't expect any semi final for any of the national competitions to ever beat that. There's a problem with semi 2 though and I want to get it out of the way immediately:

Khayat - Call For Love : 6,45
Why is this hyped? He has an atrocious accent, he's a worse singer than I am, melodically it's just not interesting *at all* and the production isn't something we haven't heard a thousand times before. This has basically 0 originality. It's not bad, but there's nothing good to say about this. So there's only one conclusion for why the hype exists which is that Khayat has some prior fame. That's fine and all, but this song isn't getting any better just because the guy is famous. Just ditch this dumb jam, it's shit. People won't listen to me, but whatever. Next.

David Axelrod - Horizon : 6,58
Obvious that this guy is pretty and is likely to get some people to vote for him just because of that, but it would definitely have helped if he didn't have such an old-fashioned song. I don't know about the size of the granny vote in the Ukraine, but based on semi 1 I don't expect it to be huge. I also suspect Ukrainian grannies are cool and think this is shit. Song doesn't go anywhere it's not supposed to, but maybe it should have, because now it's just boring really. Hopeless.

Oleksandr Poriadynskyi - Savior : 6,6
Ok I like the tone of his voice and all, but I just listened to a boring ballad and now I have to do it all again... This was nice two decades ago. Just go home. Next please.

Elina Ivashchenko - Get Up : 6,85
Yeah ok so another ballad. This one has some melodic value to it and the girl singing this is absolutely gorgeous which makes staging this a simple task, her voice is decent (that accent is pretty bad though), but it's just all very average and again very old-fashioned. Get with the time people, you're just going to get destroyed with stuff like this. Hopeless. Next.

GARNA - Who We Are? : 6,98
This starts off pretty well, melodically it's all okay and this continues to be the case throughout the song. Production seems very mid-naughties but it's kind of ok. But there's something about this song that really puts me off and I don't know if it's her voice or the 'heeejhooooj'-type sound effects pervading through half the song (think it's the latter) but it's just ruining the experience. Song also lacks a nice finish, it's really just a very basic structure and not half as adventurous as it could have been. This is just average. Shouldn't be in the conversation for making the final.

Moonzoo ft FMF Sure - Maze : 7,08
This isn't good by any means if you ask me, in fact it's pretty shit as a song. Gimmick here is that they turn a ballad into funky techno, turn that into shoegaze EDM, turn that into hip-hop and finish on the shoegaze again. That's interesting, could say it sounds like a musical maze. So yeah, rather bland but very original track that banks on being consistent through the pumping beat. It kind of works I guess. Could make the final, but I think it's too weak. A very intense staging could really benefit this song.

FO SHO - BLCK SQR : 7,35
Oh my. This song is trippy as hell, there's so much going on here it's hard to follow. Insert red flag. Point is though, if they can stage this like for instance Intergalatic by the Beastie Boys with very frenetic camera action, this would actually bring consistency to the whole audiovisual experience and make this its selling point. As a song this is really rather great as far as hip-hop goes. Awesome beatsmithing, simple but thick. I also really like the way these girls mix their rapping with really rather decent (scrap that, it's great) singing performances at times. The flow in the rapping is like, I don't know, absolute world class btw. What are they even doing here? How is this group not already huge? So yeah, big fan, but it has problems. It's probably too chaotic to be palpable for most and it's tedious after two minutes or so, so it overstays its welcome I fear. All of this can be fixed with staging though. Deserves a spot in the final surely.

Tvorchi - Bonfire : 7,7
These guys just kill it with a very tasty mixture of styles and consistently great melodies. Not much to say, just listen to it, it's great. But there's a problem here which might just be its undoing. How are you going to stage this? It's trying to be expansive at times (requires lots of light and zooming out) and intimate at times (requires the opposite, darkness and close-ups) so it's not really going to be easy to get something going that won't be jarring. This is great in darkness with headphones, but on a gigantic stage? There's also not much to add by having perfect vocals or anything. Feel like this is a great entry, but it doesn't really have a high ceiling like FO SHO has or any of the qualifiers from semi 1. Would really like to see this get to the final, but it should eventually lose to FO SHO, Go-A or (of course) Krut.

So yeah, I expect to see Tvorchi, Khayat and FO SHO in the final. Hope Khayat is pushed out in favour of Moonzoo, but that's just wishful thinking I guess.

Last edited:

ClaudiuP

@ClaudiuP

OMG, that s not real ethno, it is schalger with some ethno touch (not even real elements). :D
And it is more on the kitsch side..
I personally like it, it reminds me of Soviet entries for festival Slavianski Bazaar in Vitebsk in Belarus.. :lol:
But it is not real ethno Claudiu..
Katya Chilly and Khayat are mysterious songs with great, real ethno touch and elements, but OK if you don't like it, I understand.. :D

That is just a new version, I'm not sure if the original is on youtube, I think this might be it:

This is quality ethno song and quality ethno singing, not that crap.

ClaudiuP

Ukraine, semi 2, my preview. Listening to these songs was not a punishment, but it wasn't quite like semi 1, but that's not a problem, I don't expect any semi final for any of the national competitions to ever beat that. There's a problem with semi 2 though and I want to get it out of the way immediately:

Khayat - Call For Love : 6,45
Why is this hyped? He has an atrocious accent, he's a worse singer than I am, melodically it's just not interesting *at all* and the production isn't something we haven't heard a thousand times before. This has basically 0 originality. It's not bad, but there's nothing good to say about this. So there's only one conclusion for why the hype exists which is that Khayat has some prior fame. That's fine and all, but this song isn't getting any better just because the guy is famous. Just ditch this dumb jam, it's shit. People won't listen to me, but whatever. Next.

So yeah, I expect to see Tvorchi, Khayat and FO SHO in the final. Hope Khayat is pushed out in favour of Moonzoo, but that's just wishful thinking I guess.

OMG! Finally someone with some sense! Yes x 10000!

I hope he won't qualify because that would be a crime against music!

• Like It
Reactions: Uto

Mrm

Veteran
@ClaudiuP

I can officially tell you that my new favorite NF entry ever is Katya Chilly - "Pich".. :D

Eugene

After watching some interviews with Fo Sho, I would say they pure ukrainians. They speak without accent and behave like ukrainians. It is clearly seen that they were born here.

• Like It
Reactions: Mrm

AlekS

Veteran
:cz: Benny Cristo and :ua: Sophia Ivanko (JESC 2019) will be Semi #2 interval acts.

All dem black performers in Semi #2 be like:

Beyonce-Formation-Tour.gif

xheat Ready to vote for Tvorchi & FO SHO meself :cool:

Wondering if STB will make some announcement about hosting JESC 2020 NF :unsure: Or PBC wants to give some promo to Sophia.

Last edited:

ClaudiuP

:cz: Benny Cristo and :ua: Sophia Ivanko (JESC 2019) will be Semi #2 interval acts.

All dem black performers in Semi #2 be like:

Beyonce-Formation-Tour.gif

xheat Ready to vote for Tvorchi & FO SHO meself :cool:

Wondering if STB will make some announcement about hosting JESC 2020 NF :unsure: Or PBC wants to give some promo to Sophia.

That is so random. Why would they invite a JESC singer who didn't even do well in the contest? They could have invited Anastasia Petryk if they wanted to make an announcement about JESC?

You get 12 points from me for having good taste in semi 2! x12pointsxlove

Trece

Han Hazretleri
Staff member
That is so random. Why would they invite a JESC singer who didn't even do well in the contest? They could have invited Anastasia Petryk if they wanted to make an announcement about JESC?

You get 12 points from me for having good taste in semi 2! x12pointsxlove

Everyone is sick from Petryk sisters, thats all :lol:

Top Bottom