3 1.8%

16 9.6%

• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
Ukraine-scaled.jpg

AlekS

Veteran
Yeah, but those against it would probably be more vocal about it. If Maruv's performing in Russia was an issue this year, I can't see how they can turn around and send an official delegation to Russia a year later. Would not be a good look.
People have already spoken by voting :cool: People are free to like or dislike her but the choice had been made.
UA:pBC wanted her as representative and she agreed to their conditions but not to EBU's. Nobody cared about people xshrug And I don't really see why they should care about it. It wouldn't influenced TV ratings that much honestly.

This is just a song contest and listening to people who blow everything out of proportion is not the best idea.
And she would have been our representative already if her label she didn't refuse. Despite some people's opinion.
Some of our sportsmen compete in Russia and when they win :twisted: there, all those against it suddenly shut their pieholes. Because they (Finally! Hallelujah!) discover a different perspective.

EscGeek

Veteran
Again: Give me back the old Ukraine that died after your first withdrawal, and send Tayanna xpray xheart

Maruv was a good start (you screwed up anyway), but you can do even better:p

Brandt

Do we even know if UA:pBC won't apply the same rules and cause a similar drama as they did with Maruv?

AlekS

Veteran
Do we even know if UA:pBC won't apply the same rules and cause a similar drama as they did with Maruv?
Maruv said that she accepted UA:pBC rules xshrug Her label She didn't accept EBU rules.

UA:pBC should aknowledge all performers about having the Head of delegation & Universal being one of the copyright holders.

Alaska49

vidbir is year in year out the best NF in europe and this year was literally flawless with not one bad song (and every time i read people saying it was anything less than that my blood boils lol), so it needs to stay. i just hope there are no political sheningans next year. i welcome their new comedian overlord if our outcome is a vidbir unaffected by politics. ukraine has so much quality, they can send anyone they want. i don't have a horse in this race. just come back, kick ass and regain your throne as the best eurovision country.

Brandt

Maruv said that she accepted UA:pBC rules xshrug Her label She didn't accept EBU rules.

UA:pBC should aknowledge all performers about having the Head of delegation & Universal being one of the copyright holders.

Wait, what? This is definitely not what Wikipedia claims.

Following Maruv's win, it was reported that the broadcaster had sent her management a contract, requiring Maruv to cancel all upcoming appearances and performances in Russia in order to become the Ukrainian representative. After it became clear that she would be performing in two concerts in Russia the following months, Vice Prime Minister and Minister of Culture Vyacheslav Kyrylenko stated that artists who toured in Russia or "did not recognise the territorial integrity of Ukraine" should not take part in Eurovision.[7] She was also given 48 hours to sign the contract or be replaced.[8] The day afterwards, Maruv revealed that the broadcaster's contract had additionally banned her from improvising on stage and communicating with any journalist without the permission of the broadcaster, and required her to fully comply with any requests from the broadcaster. If she were to not follow any of these clauses, she would be fined ₴2 million (~€67,000). Maruv also stated that the broadcaster would not give her any financial compensation for the competition and would not pay for the trip to Tel Aviv.[9]

AlekS

Veteran
Wikipedia

These are her own words: https://www.instagram.com/p/BuSYdiWgd6z/

Following Maruv's win, it was reported that the broadcaster had sent her management a contract, requiring Maruv to cancel all upcoming appearances and performances in Russia in order to become the Ukrainian representative. After it became clear that she would be performing in two concerts in Russia the following months, Vice Prime Minister and Minister of Culture Vyacheslav Kyrylenko stated that artists who toured in Russia or "did not recognise the territorial integrity of Ukraine" should not take part in Eurovision.

"I'm ready to refuse from performances in Russia. I had answered all jury's questions live.I haven't been to Crimea since 2014. I didn't abolish any Ukrainian laws. I'm also ready to cover all expenses of my Eurovision participation."

The Minister of Culture has no power to interfere into UA:pBC business.
+ he was flipped off by UA:pBC music department. In the end he was raving that we refused.
ps. Not to mention that UA:pBC is at war with the government for cutting their budget repeatedly and trying to add positive news about PM before the elections (didn't happen).

As for funding - MARUV perfectly knew that UA:pBC wasn't funded properly (again) and they never funded our performers. STB used to sponsor our performers in 2016-2018 but they stopped doing so this year. + STB used to take the majority of contract responsibilities so performers could sign a "lite" version. But not this year.

The day afterwards, Maruv revealed that the broadcaster's contract had additionally banned her from improvising on stage

UA:pBC responded by publishing the excerpts of their (fully) / EBU's contract (only the parts which were allowed by the EBU) :cool:

http://1tv.com.ua/news/channel/105106

I agree with Andy from ESCKaz - there was no "any uncoordinated split will be fined" thing and she blew it out of proportion. Also she could discuss it with UA:pBC instead of fantasizing in instagram (I blame UA:pBC in that too). ESC Techies pre-program cameras and lighting so any change of plans will ruin the performance and the EBU will ask to compensate their reputational damages. These are the EBU's demands. And it's certainly not about minor improvs such as uncoordinated split. But if she decides to change her performance right before the rehearsals ... The exact timing and description should be ready by the middle/end of March. If she values her artistic freedom more... xshrug

+ According to UA:pBC Head of music department there were only 2 UA:pBC demands and MARUV agreed to both (do not commit actions prohibited by our law & no concerts in Russia until August). MARUV confirmed that herself.
The EBU asks all broadcasters to avoid politics in May otherwise they will be fined (like Iceland). Any provocation and her wrong response to that provocation would have beeen fined by the EBU. Any serious change of plans during the broadcast would have been fined by the EBU.

communicating with any journalist without the permission of the broadcaster, and required her to fully comply with any requests from the broadcaster.
Communication with journalists is authorized by the EBU & delegations. Every delegation has a person responsible for that. "Clearly comply with any requirements and instructions of UA:pBC" - there was no "any". All requirements were listed in the contract.

And the copyright issue is from the EBU rules too. It's not UA:pBC's fault that Warner didn't want to hand their copyrights to Universal. She has already been aware of that rule since January btw.

AlekS

Veteran
2 most popular suggestions for internal selection in 1 pic:

mG0GHQe.jpg

MARUV & Olya Polyakova.

A-lister

Veteran
2 most popular suggestions for internal selection in 1 pic:

mG0GHQe.jpg

MARUV & Olya Polyakova.

You think Ukraine will go for internal selection next year?

None of these names excites me tbh... oh well.. I know that they can both put up good stage shows though, musically it's a hit-or-miss however.

WhoKnows

While she wouldn't be my top choice, I actually think Polyakova could do very well. She has the voice, the charisma and just the right amount of camp. If she finds a song as good as Koroleva Nochi, she'd be dangerous.

With that said, based on some of the things she's said in the past, I don't see her taking part.

Brandt

These are her own words: https://www.instagram.com/p/BuSYdiWgd6z/

"I'm ready to refuse from performances in Russia. I had answered all jury's questions live.I haven't been to Crimea since 2014. I didn't abolish any Ukrainian laws. I'm also ready to cover all expenses of my Eurovision participation."

The Minister of Culture has no power to interfere into UA:pBC business.
+ he was flipped off by UA:pBC music department. In the end he was raving that we refused.
ps. Not to mention that UA:pBC is at war with the government for cutting their budget repeatedly and trying to add positive news about PM before the elections (didn't happen).

As for funding - MARUV perfectly knew that UA:pBC wasn't funded properly (again) and they never funded our performers. STB used to sponsor our performers in 2016-2018 but they stopped doing so this year. + STB used to take the majority of contract responsibilities so performers could sign a "lite" version. But not this year.

UA:pBC responded by publishing the excerpts of their (fully) / EBU's contract (only the parts which were allowed by the EBU) :cool:

http://1tv.com.ua/news/channel/105106

I agree with Andy from ESCKaz - there was no "any uncoordinated split will be fined" thing and she blew it out of proportion. Also she could discuss it with UA:pBC instead of fantasizing in instagram (I blame UA:pBC in that too). ESC Techies pre-program cameras and lighting so any change of plans will ruin the performance and the EBU will ask to compensate their reputational damages. These are the EBU's demands. And it's certainly not about minor improvs such as uncoordinated split. But if she decides to change her performance right before the rehearsals ... The exact timing and description should be ready by the middle/end of March. If she values her artistic freedom more... xshrug

+ According to UA:pBC Head of music department there were only 2 UA:pBC demands and MARUV agreed to both (do not commit actions prohibited by our law & no concerts in Russia until August). MARUV confirmed that herself.
The EBU asks all broadcasters to avoid politics in May otherwise they will be fined (like Iceland). Any provocation and her wrong response to that provocation would have beeen fined by the EBU. Any serious change of plans during the broadcast would have been fined by the EBU.

Communication with journalists is authorized by the EBU & delegations. Every delegation has a person responsible for that. "Clearly comply with any requirements and instructions of UA:pBC" - there was no "any". All requirements were listed in the contract.

And the copyright issue is from the EBU rules too. It's not UA:pBC's fault that Warner didn't want to hand their copyrights to Universal. She has already been aware of that rule since January btw.

Her Instagram post doesn't exactly conduct anything against EBU, though.

I am ready to abandon performances in Russia. Live answered all questions that interested the jury. I have not visited the Crimea since 2014. Did not violate a single law of Ukraine. And also ready to take on all the costs of participation in the International Competition.
And now about the sensational contract itself, which they demand from me:
1. I am forbidden any improvisation on the stage without the approval of NTU. (Uncoordinated split, for example, will result in a fine of 2 million hryvnia)
2. Immediately transferring the copyright to the song belonging to the world label Warner Music (these rights were known before the start of the competition)
3. Accurately fulfill any requirements and instructions of NTU. (Theoretically, they can force me to dance at a birthday party with some deputy prime minister, and in case of refusal, they will disqualify me and oblige me to pay a fine of 2 million hryvnias again. Plus, compensate NTU for alleged losses!)
4. The ban on communication with journalists without the consent of the NTU. (Which completely violates freedom of speech and human rights)
And a lot of what is absurd.
In case of violation of one of the points, a fine of 2 million hryvnia and compensation of losses is still an indefinite amount.
In return, I get nothing from the NTU: not a dime of financial support, nor assistance in organizing a trip, nor, especially, international promotional support. Even I have to deal with a visa myself.

AlekS

Veteran
Her Instagram post doesn't exactly conduct anything against EBU, though.

I am ready to abandon performances in Russia. Live answered all questions that interested the jury. I have not visited the Crimea since 2014. Did not violate a single law of Ukraine. And also ready to take on all the costs of participation in the International Competition.
And now about the sensational contract itself, which they demand from me:
1. I am forbidden any improvisation on the stage without the approval of NTU. (Uncoordinated split, for example, will result in a fine of 2 million hryvnia)
2. Immediately transferring the copyright to the song belonging to the world label Warner Music (these rights were known before the start of the competition)
3. Accurately fulfill any requirements and instructions of NTU. (Theoretically, they can force me to dance at a birthday party with some deputy prime minister, and in case of refusal, they will disqualify me and oblige me to pay a fine of 2 million hryvnias again. Plus, compensate NTU for alleged losses!)
4. The ban on communication with journalists without the consent of the NTU. (Which completely violates freedom of speech and human rights)
And a lot of what is absurd.
In case of violation of one of the points, a fine of 2 million hryvnia and compensation of losses is still an indefinite amount.
In return, I get nothing from the NTU: not a dime of financial support, nor assistance in organizing a trip, nor, especially, international promotional support. Even I have to deal with a visa myself.

;)

1. The EBU rules: "The stage performance shall be identical in all second Dress Rehearsals and during the live Shows."

The EBU demands detailed plan (audio, color scheme, number of people on stage, their names) /timing/technical description of the performance until March/beginning of April. I've got some of the documents from UA:pBC but I'm not authorized to publish them.
The performance in May is pre-programmed by ESC techies basing on that data.
Every broadcaster is obliged to make sure that ESC techies and performer understood each other. Changing camera angles, adding pyros, minor changes in lead/backing vocals is allowed. UA:pBC never said anything like "uncoordinated split". It's ok if she misses the camera but if she drastically changed her performance the broadcaster would have been fined.

2. The EBU rules:

PART 2 — LEGAL AND FINANCIAL PROVISIONS

2.4.3 EBU's rights and obligations

Grant of rights

The EBU is in exclusive control of all centralized marketing and exploitation of the ESC.

Without prejudice to the other rules in this Section, all broadcasting and other rights to the Shows and the ESC are exclusively owned by the EBU, to be managed centrally by the EBU on behalf of the Participating Broadcasters.

Universal receives copyright in order to publish those songs on the TV, on the radio, on the ESC official YT channel, on the album, promo etc.

3. According to the EBU rules:

"The Head of Delegation shall be responsible for:

- the national entry, including delivering all material requested by the EBU and the host broadcaster in due time;
- supervise the national delegation
The head of delegation is the point of contact between the EBU and/or the host broadcaster and the other Participating broadcasters and as such is fully responsible for all aspects of its organization's participation."

The EBU requires all performers to follow their schedule (press conferences, interviews, rehearsals, shooting postcards, red carpet etc.) via the delegation officials and there's nothing UA:pBC can do about it. They are obliged to control the performer. + there was no word "any" in the contract.

4. The EBU has their own communication pool of officials who don't give a heck if performer doesn't want to go to press-conferences or record interviews for YT channel, at the red carpet etc. Journalists have accreditation terms & conditions. Delegations are getting instructed by the EBU in a private way. + Every delegation has its own press secretary (or a HoD) who decides whether they want to give interviews or not. They can't give interviews to unaccredited media obviously. Or answer "uncomfortable" questions and get fined by the EBU. If that violates freedom of speech and human rights... xshrug
ps. Jamala talked to some aggressive Russian media on Eurovision even despite UA:pBC wasn't in awe.
ps2. Also UA:pBC sends all their press releases to the EBU first and only after that they are allowed to post ESC-related info.

UA:pBC has nothing to do with those EBU demands. Thus she disagreed with EBU rules/demands only. No matter if she made UA:pBC guilty in all deadly sins.

Fierro

I honestly didn't miss Ukraine this year, I don't like to be nervous about our place as well. The one thing to regret about is that we didn't know how'd our audience and juries vote, that is always one of the most exciting parts.

I think it's a bit too early for Maruv (+ the public outrage will be huge, many people are afraid our President is hiddenly pro-Russian). I'd go with Soloviy.

AlekS

Veteran
FO SHO

Akine

Khayat

With a great song this time pls.

Odyn v kanoe

The Hardkiss

(one can dream)

Alina Pash xheya

And of course ViS, alyona alyona or NK.

Loindici

Veteran
Just do something effective and less demanding. The fact that most of the Ukrainian budget for Eurovision comes from their participating artist is a shame to be thought of. xbored

Top Bottom