Contact us

Ugaly

Fearnavigatr

Re: Ugaly - Going nude for 154

Thought Christmas was over? Well hold on to your sausages!

Swedish entertainer Klasse Möllberg of Electric Banana Band fame (Ugaly's NSC 25 entry) was once upon a time, back in 1992, the host of an annual Christmas program that always doubles as an advent calendar. While most of these "julkalendrar" are 24-episode epic stories, this particular one instead featured Klasse in a live broadcast talking about Christmas traditions, playing games and singing songs! While Christmas may be over for now, we at Lurkovision still think this particular tune from the show, Snögubben är naken deserves to represent us in the January winter! After all, aren't we all nude snowmen deep in our hearts?

Lyrics:

Translated lyrics:

Last edited:

Stargazer

Mod of All Things
Staff member
Re: Ugaly - Going nude for 154

Klasses julkalender is one of those I definitely remember watching when it aired, remember really enjoying at the time, but have very little recollection of. I can't even recall one thing that happened, I only remember the visual aesthetic of the show.

Fearnavigatr

Quick non-Lurking Bird post for this announcement!

The dream has finally come true, King K. Rool is a playable character in Super Smash Bros.! This is a very big deal for Donkey Kong Country fans, with the main antagonist of our favorite video game series finally returning to the spotlight after more than a decade of hibernation!

In celebration of this, Ugaly can't help but send yet another game song to NSC 161, this fan arrangement of the song from K. Rool's first appearance as a final boss:

Fearnavigatr

ODnBFi.jpg

Ugaly's NSC 164 entry is dedicated to Ragnar Franklin (1945-2018), this very odd and original person who played a huge part in the chain of events that made me a train driver, as well as a very good friend from the Arvidsjaur railway association who has influenced me in many ways since my early teens.

Ragnar became known in steam train circles as "the DJ", he would regularly play old 78 rpm records to entertain the passengers. One of the records was "På söndag" from 1953, written by Stig Olin and performed by himself along with his then-wife Britta and their young son Mats, about a family indulging themselves on a Sunday after a long week of work. This song would soon become a personal favorite and one that I would frequently request (if not pester) Ragnar to play. So in loving memory of Ragnar and all the times we spent working together on the steam train, Ugaly has chosen this song to represent us as our 161st entry!

Alternative link, in case the video is blocked in your country: https://stockholmskallan.stockholm.se/post/24234

Fearnavigatr

For NSC 183, we are digging through the archives for Ugaly's 180th entry:

Yes, our old spinoff classic from the Movie Theme Edition (as well as Spinoff Congrats) is getting a new moment in the spotlight after all these years.

Maybe not terribly exciting for those who still remember the spinoff, and normally reusing a song is not something I'd ever consider. However, I wanted to make an exception just this once, because Killer Klowns is such a huge and important personal favorite song of mine in all categories. I've felt awful about leaving it as "just a spinoff entry", and I want to take the opportunity during our milestone edition to "canonize" it into the hall of fame of Ugaly proper, especially seeing as a lot of time has passed and extant memories of the spinoff have become ever fewer. We hope you can forgive us and appreciate the song in a new context!

Welcome back to The Dickies, may your feet forever be smelly and your days ugly as you finally claim your long awaited Lurkin' Bird!

Fearnavigatr

Another look in the archives for NSC 188:
If you were there, 3000 years ago, you might remember the days when Ugaly used to hold national finals with the very simple format "three songs, vote for your favorite in a poll". This only happened during the nation's first four editions, was paused for NSC 8-10 and brought back one last time for NSC 11, after which every single entry has been chosen internally, apart from a one-off celebration NF with a completely different format for NSC 50.

Lillasyster, this rock band from Gothenburg, with the song Berätta det för Lina (Tell it to Lina), was the runner-up of the NSC 11 NF, which was ultimately won by Czech ESC veterans Kabát with the song Burlaci. Notably, the third placer of the very same NF, Ozzy Osbourne with Perry Mason, already got his chance to stand on the NSC stage a few years ago, when he was brought back to represent Ugaly in NSC 159. Now the time has finally come to complete the trio and extend the same opportunity to Lillasyster!

So why now? Well, after a long time off the spotlight in Ugly charts the band has suddenly become topical again with the surprise announcement of their participation in one of those NF events over there on Earth, Melodifestivalen 2021! This simply felt like the perfect chance to reminisce about their history with Ugaly and bring back a song that shouldn't have been lost to the forgotten depths of NF-hell in the first place!

As a side note, Mustasch has also been announced for Melodifestivalen, which also has a significant connection to Ugaly as the Swedish entrant to the NSC Countries Spinoff! Mustasch's Double Nature was one of five songs entered by Ugaly in a Melodifestivalen-inspired NF to determine the country's entry, with other songs sent by Adamsburg and Giggshood, and ultimately won the selection.

Good luck to both bands in MF, and double good luck to Lillasyster in NSC!

Last edited:

Roffbeard

Ha! Running out of new ideas are we? How typical.

I was totally pumped up and ready for NSC 6 when you disqualified me from that NF for no good reason, when am I gonna get that "extended opportunity"?!

Fearnavigatr

Fearnavigatr

Announcing our 186th consecutive entry!

Following our recent tributes to Lost Isle and Greenfroze, we are yet again giving attention to an artist from a long defunct nation, and this time the spotlight is on Nukuland!

Debuting in NSC 55 and participating 15 times until an unceremonious end following NSC 71, Nukuland demonstrated an admirable range of both pop and metal during their existence. Of particular note to the Ugly audience was the Nukish NSC 66 entrant, Gothenburg metal group Sister Sin with the song Outrage, which made little splash in its semifinal but became an instant hit in our national charts with its classic Mötley Crüe-style awesomeness!

Specially invited by Lurkovision to return to the NSC stage 123 editions later, this time representing their fanbase in Ugaly, Sister Sin will be performing this epic melodic piece in Lacrea, ready to charm a new audience and hopefully do better than last time! Prepare to surrender your soul to the crimson Desert Queen!

(Incidentally, I've been playing a lot of Assassin's Creed Origins lately, and needless to say this also fits that part of my contemporary life perfectly!)

Fearnavigatr

Presenting entry #189:

Yet again, we're doing a tribute to a defunct nation, but now it's one that has actually participated in the past century. The nation sometimes known as Illumia, and other times by !%PT#.

Japanese electro rap duo Charisma.com, with their distinct innovative style, originally participated under the latter flag in NSC 123, and was a massive hit with the Ugly audience, even outside of the contest. We would hate to see such talent get lost to time, so after a special agreement with !%PT#'s old delegation, we are proud to announce the duo's return to the NSC stage with the song こんがらガール, or Kongara Girl!

Fearnavigatr

::ugl The 200th entry of Ugaly will be revealed on 15 March, 23:00 CET ::ugl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I645VKk4_q8

It is finally time for the second great Celebrazion! Welcome to join in the grand reveal of our milestone entry on Tuesday night!

You may remember our previous centenary, when we entered with an original composition written especially for the contest. I'm sure you're wondering, will we do the same thing this time? Tune in and find out!

Last edited:
Top Bottom