C2: :gr: :hu: :ee: :fi:
C3: :sl: :bg: :cy: :no:
C4: :rs: :ro: :me: :lt:
D1: :kz: :ge: :ad: :lv:
D2: :lu: :by: :md: :sm:
D3: :az: :fo: :xk: :mt:
D4: :am: :mk: :li: ::gi

Schlagerman1

I counted out how the results would be in each league, if the most recent home and away results were counted. If they weren't any, I decided to randomize, still with an advantage to the higher ranked team. The tiebreaks are made in traditional UEFA style (with head-to-head being over total goal difference).

LEAGUE D

LEAGUE C:

LEAGUE B

LEAGUE A

Total top 55 ranking

Himan

My Predicions:

Some conclusions:

Teams in A will very probably reach at least the playoff's even if you lose everything in qualification(And yes I mean everything)
Teams in B also always reach at least the play off's though that will be a bit closer, but at least 4 surprises from C or D teams are needed for that to happen. So 4 teams from C or D need to qualify directly, which some are capable of: :rs:, :ro:, :bg:, :no:, ... but it needed to be done at least 4 times, which will not happen often I guess.
B teams will reach the Euros less times. Cause A teams are mostly to good to let that happen to them and B teams will often be placed in the A play off, which they will often lose. And there is only one spot in the B play off. So one spot for all losing B teams, which is not that much. (Normally they would've a C team as opponent and probably win.)

Qualification A in 2016
11/12
Qualification A in 2020
11/12

Qualification B in 2016
10/12
QF B in 2020
8/12

QF C in 2016
3/15
QF C in 2020
4/15

QF D in 2016
0/16
QF D in 2020
1/16

njdevils94

Veteran
Does anyone wanna do some sort of predictions league for this? [MENTION=15870]Realest[/MENTION], [MENTION=16177]Himan[/MENTION], [MENTION=4395]Schlagerman1[/MENTION]

ShoeFlo

I am none of them but I will try a prediction anyway...

A1: :fr: :de: :nl: - hard to guess... often teams who just become world or euro champions have some kind of "post-tournament-crisis" , just like Germany which lost 0-2 to Poland after WC 2014 and I remember Spain losing 0-4 to Portugal after one of their tournament wins. Nevertheless France must win this... Germany is still in trouble, the team atmosphere seems to be very "poisoned". Netherland could benefit from this but then again I saw their squad nominations... Babel, Elia, Sneijder xfacepalm what is going wrong with this formerly great footbal nation?

A2: :be: :ch: :is: - Mmh, no surprise here. Belgium showed the world what they are able to achieve. Switzerland is very very decent and they might even beat Belgium on home ground but probably mess it up in a cold night in Reykjavik. For Iceland it will be harder and harder to compete on this level and we dont know yet if Erik Hamren can continue the success work of Hallgrimsson. The team is still the same but technically they are obviously very limited. Lets hope for windy rainy and cold matches in Reykjavik so they can end up on the second place at least

A3: :it: :pt: :pl: - Italy will rise like a phoenix, they probably have desire for revenge after their historical disaster... I'm not convinced by Portugal anyway. Poland relies too much on Lewandowski

A4: :en: :hr: :es: - Holy moly, what a group! This is gonna be very tight... but England is doing very well in friendlies/qualifying and they are petty self-confident now after their little fairytale this summer. Croatia is still a shaky team after all but they usually look good against Spain, whose demise is gonna continue.

B1: :cz: :ua: :sk: -On the one hand this group looks very boring for me, on the other hand it is incredibly balanced. This prediction is more like a desire than a prediction. Ive got no idea here but I support Czech Republic as theyve got the next Petr Cech standing between the goal posts and his name is Jiri Pavlenka. About Slovakia I wouldnt have a clue if there wasnt Hamsik ... Ukraine is a team with many average players. I followed them as they were in Iceland's WC qualification group and they looked rather bad.

B2: :se: :tr: :ru: - Sweden has a great chemistry and spirit. Russias football still lacks talent, they were a one-hit-wonder pushed forward by the home crowd. Turkey... is something. Average team that can now and then impress when theyve got a special day.

B3: :at: :ba: ::ulst - I hope our neighbours will finally get their shit together. Potentially theyve got a very strong side and the first results with their new coach looked good already. They should win the group. Bosnia doesnt have a good squad depth and Northern Ireland overperformed long enough.

B4: :dk: :ie: :wale: - Denmark is by far the best team. And even though they didnt prove in World Cup they can actually play very good football... the brazilians of scandinavia if you wanna phrase it like this. Ireland and Wales know each other from last qualfication campaign. Ireland I think is a little better

C1: :al: :sc: :il: - maybe an unpopular prediction but I think people still use to underestimate Albania. They played in Euros 2016, they couldnt realistically qualify for WC with Spain and Italy in their group but at least they ended up above Israel in the final ranking. Moreover they benefit a lot from their diaspora in Switzerland. Scotland is irrelevant.

C2: :gr: :fi: :hu: :ee: - I also think Greece will slowly but surely recover and in this group they should somehow win. Interestingly, Finland and Hungary were their opponents in that awful Euro 2016 qualification when they ended up last... but this will never ever happen to Greece again. Finland on second place might be a surprise... now after their former captain Moisander retired from international stage they hardly have any player with experience on a high level, apart of goalkeeper Hradecky. But, Hungary isnt that much better and the last couple of matches in the qualification looked good-ish, maybe theyve got a shot here to end up on 2nd place. Estonia will finish on last place, there are easily 3-4 better teams in Division D, if not more..

C3: :sl: :no: :bg: :cy: - Slovenia will win this group cause they might have a tad more quality than Norway, but Lagerbäck will stabilize this Norwegian team and they can look into the future a little more optimistically. Bulgaria is one of the few teams in Europe from which I literally couldnt name any current player. Bulgaria is just... there. Cyprus is weak.

C4: :rs: :me: :ro: :lt: this is rather a strong group. Serbia is in a wrong division but they will correct this mistake without further problems. Montenegro is performing well as a team even though they lack individual quality. Will be a hot derby against Serbia. Romania is alright but they havent been in a good shape lately. Lithuania can only defend but they dont know what to do with the ball.

D1: :ge: :kz: :lv: :ad: maybe some people dont know but Georgia has actually some interesting talents in the squad for their standards and I remember them playing decent football against Germany in the Euro 2016 qualifying. I guess they can win this group. The level of Kazakhstan football isnt that bad considering that Astana made the UCL group stage in 2015-16 and only lost two matches and last season they qualified for R32 in Europe League... but nevertheless they could be better if they had a little more international experience. Good enough for second place though. Latvia is in awful shape but theyre still good enough to beat the likes of Andorra

D2: :lu: :by: :md: :sm: Luxemburg is definitely on the rise and I think they have big plans for the future. They beat Belarus before and they will do again. Ive got no opinion about Moldova. Sherrif Tiraspol is a decent team, but I feel like Belarus will beat them. San Marino is not competitive, even on this level.

D3: :xk: :az: :fo: :mt: - Kosovo winning this group is everything but a surprise. They needed some time to harmonize as a team but qualitywisely they are a level above the other teams here. Milot Rashica will destroy the opponents by himself. What can be said about Kazakhstan is also true for Azerbaijan. The level of club football is alright but the players should gain more experience abroad.

D4: :am: :mk: ::gi :li: - I'm too tired now to analysze this group ... Armenia is an obvious number 1 cause theyve got 2-3 exceptional players. Macedonia is an obvious second place... and yes, little surprise: I think Gibraltar can beat Liechtenstein. In Qualifications Gibraltar looked worse than all other teams just because they are not clever enough yet to defend well against big teams cause they're still too naive.. but I think their can actually play more powerful attacking football than the likes of San Marino and Andorra.

DutchSuomiFan

I am none of them but I will try a prediction anyway...

A1: :fr: :de: :nl: - hard to guess... often teams who just become world or euro champions have some kind of "post-tournament-crisis" , just like Germany which lost 0-2 to Poland after WC 2014 and I remember Spain losing 0-4 to Portugal after one of their tournament wins. Nevertheless France must win this... Germany is still in trouble, the team atmosphere seems to be very "poisoned". Netherland could benefit from this but then again I saw their squad nominations... Babel, Elia, Sneijder xfacepalm what is going wrong with this formerly great footbal nation?

Sneijder is only in there because he's going to play his last cap for The Netherlands against Peru. Plus we've got Donny van de Beek and Matthijs de Ligt. Remember their names!

Himan

NL will be very dangerous for any team. The players you name aren't the ones who are going to play. NL had as much points as Sweden in qualification and won their last game against them. Later in friendlies NL won 3-0 against Portugal. Of course we haven't the depth of Germany or France, but we will be very dangerous and are getting good again on every position. And I also believe NL were capable of reaching QF in last WC. Nothing is more dangerous than underestimating the Dutch team I've learned in 2008 and 2014!

Himan

I wonder why Klaassen isnt nominated though IOTAP

That's a bit strange, I guess he should play first? With France as opponent you should expect that we play 5-3-2 of 4-2-3-1 or something like that. Though Pröpper, Vilhena, Strootman, Blind and Wijnaldum are above him right now.

njdevils94

Veteran
Good to see Hateboer and de Roon called up. Both playing well for Atalanta who have gotten off to a great start this season.

DutchSuomiFan

NL will be very dangerous for any team. The players you name aren't the ones who are going to play. NL had as much points as Sweden in qualification and won their last game against them. Later in friendlies NL won 3-0 against Portugal. Of course we haven't the depth of Germany or France, but we will be very dangerous and are getting good again on every position. And I also believe NL were capable of reaching QF in last WC. Nothing is more dangerous than underestimating the Dutch team I've learned in 2008 and 2014!

I think the fact that we did not reach the play-offs for the WC was just rather unlucky. Of course those games against France and Bulgaria were bloody awful, but why did that ref disallow Bas Dost's goal in the 90th minute to make it 1-2 against Sweden?

Himan

Or the 2-1 of Sweden in the last minute against France. Or the 8-0 out of nowhere against Luxembourg. Or just the whole draw being placed first, drawing the World Champion(France) and a quarter finalist of the WC(Sweden, capable of Beating Italy, Switzerland and Mexico in the meantime) The only game NL could blame themselves is away against Bulgaria, and that was 1,5 years ago which was another time already cause a lot has changed since. The only team who can really get away with underestimating us right now is exactly France. The Netherlands have the worst draws possible lately and still, we should have hope. I really believe 4 points is possible, which can lead to a 2nd place.

njdevils94

Veteran
Predictions for UEFA Nations League

League A Group 1: :de: :fr: :nl:
League A Group 2: :be: :ch: :is:
League A Group 3: :it: :pt: :pl:
League A Group 4: :es: :hr: :en:

League B Group 1: :ua: :cz: :sk:
League B Group 2: :tr: :se: :ru:
League B Group 3: :at: :ba: ::ulst
League B Group 4: :wale: :dk: :ie:

League C Group 1: :il: :sc: :al:
League C Group 2: :hu: :fi: :gr: :ee:
League C Group 3: :no: :sl: :cy: :bg:
League C Group 4: :rs: :ro: :me: :lt:

League D Group 1: :ge: :kz: :lv: :ad:
League D Group 2: :lu: :by: :md: :sm:
League D Group 3: :xk: :fo: :az: :mt:
League D Group 4: :mk: :am: :li: ::gibraltar

JamieBrown

I just don't focussed on this competition, so I don't know how much effort the teams lay into it, even tho I think that the possible qualification for the Euro should be a motivator, especially for the teams in League C & D. Most of the teams in Group A & B should be confident enough to believe qualify directly or that all teams of League A will qualify anyway and their spots for the PlayOffs will be rewarded to teams of League B. So I can't think of a precise prediction.

I just think that Germany will not win against France. I still trust Joachim Löw to be a good coach, but France should be stronger, plus the german team's may try out a few tactical changes. It might become a great match, but France possibly wins 2:1 or something like this.
And with all the rumours from Denmark I'd say they're lucky enough they only play one official match vs. Wales, otherwise with these third class players and Futsal loans they would've facen 0 points after half of their matches.
And as I'm in love with Iceland, I fear that all your predictions will come true. Still the chances to see them playing a successful qualification for the 2020 Euro are quite big, like as I said most, if not all, other League A teams should qualify before the Playoffs

Himan

B4: :dk: :wale: :ie: Wales' Euro SF was probably a lucky shot. Denmark will take 9 points or more here.

A bit too early :D

Top Bottom