Contact us

Turkey TURKEY 2023 - not taking part

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Barish

This!

Also, I think they might come back if they have a regime change that will follow the Atatürk's principles again, until then I don't see them back in the contest and I'm surprised people still believe it's going to happen with the current state of affairs.

yeah very much this.

I know it's not exactly the correct thread for this but ruling party is preparing a law draft (or at least signaling it) to define the traditional values of a "family/marriage" (you guessed it right: a man and a woman). Even if that is not the case, they're profiting off of this populist right wing claim so it's safe to say ESC would be frowned upon under this arguement of "values"

A-lister

Veteran
yeah very much this.

I know it's not exactly the correct thread for this but ruling party is preparing a law draft (or at least signaling it) to define the traditional values of a "family/marriage" (you guessed it right: a man and a woman). Even if that is not the case, they're profiting off of this populist right wing claim so it's safe to say ESC would be frowned upon under this arguement of "values"

Yeah, well, I feel the actual problem is the Erdogan regime's islamist flirting, in which a show like Eurovision has no room. It's sad but hopefully things can change.

Last edited:

rasmuslights

Veteran
yeah very much this.

who do u think will win in the elections next year?

A-lister

Veteran
who do u think will win in the elections next year?

Obviously off-topic, but I can give my input (although the question was not directed at me). I think it all depends on whether the Erdogan regime will play it fair or steal the election.

If fair, based on polls at least, there should be a regime change (in theory). But Erdogan and fair aren't words that fit together...

hijirio

Veteran
I think people are slowly realising that throwing your toys out of the pram over one (very correct) non qualification and saying you won't participate until the big 5 are abolished will get them no where lol
Do you really think the non-qualification in 2011 is the reason why Turkey is no longer participating? If they wanted a good result, they wouldn't send Yüksek Sadakat in the first place with that outrageous song. There were many bids all in contention to comfortably reach top 5, but TRT went for that crap to create a perfect excuse to withdraw.

This!

Also, I think they might come back if they have a regime change that will follow the Atatürk's principles again, until then I don't see them back in the contest and I'm surprised people still believe it's going to happen with the current state of affairs.
I know this is not the politics thread but it's so irrelevant to bring up Atatürk here, he died 100 years ago and Turkey needs to get over him. It sounds to me like "Italy needs a leader who can follow Renaissance principles" (I mean it's exaggeration but yeah that's how I feel when you mention Atatürk here)

The world has changed so much since Atatürk's passing and I think we should build up on his legacy instead of getting stuck with his name. I assume you mean specifically 'secularism' when you say "Atatürk's principles" but as a whole there are also many outdated principles of his such as nationalism, etatism etc.

A-lister

Veteran
I know this is not the politics thread but it's so irrelevant to bring up Atatürk here, he died 100 years ago and Turkey needs to get over him. It sounds to me like "Italy needs a leader who can follow Renaissance principles" (I mean it's exaggeration but yeah that's how I feel when you mention Atatürk here)

The world has changed so much since Atatürk's passing and I think we should build up on his legacy instead of getting stuck with his name. I assume you mean specifically 'secularism' when you say "Atatürk's principles" but as a whole there are also many outdated principles of his such as nationalism, etatism etc.

Yes, that's sorta what I meant. I don't mean that the country should reverse 100 years (although ironically it kinda did in other ways), rather more like you expressed it "build up on", like acknowledge that heritage and what it means for the modern Turkish state and develop it to the 21st century, instead of completely ignoring it like the current regime does.

Anyways going off-topic here but maybe my point was understood better.

HarryUK

Veteran
Do you really think the non-qualification in 2011 is the reason why Turkey is no longer participating? If they wanted a good result, they wouldn't send Yüksek Sadakat in the first place with that outrageous song. There were many bids all in contention to comfortably reach top 5, but TRT went for that crap to create a perfect excuse to withdraw.
Considering they're refusing to return until the big 5 are abolished and they would have withdrawn in 2012 if Azerbaijan weren't hosting, yes I do think that is at least part of the reason.

hijirio

Veteran
Considering they're refusing to return until the big 5 are abolished and they would have withdrawn in 2012 if Azerbaijan weren't hosting, yes I do think that is at least part of the reason.

Hadise’s outfit choices stirred so much controversy, she was exposed to moral harassment of TRT authorities and even her music video for Dum Tek Tek was banned for being too erotic and never uploaded on the official Eurovision channel. After Hadise, they sent 3 male contestants in a row and eventually withdrew. It was going to happen anyway, the voting system excuse has never actually been taken seriously.

Also for your reference:

Top Bottom