Contact us

Turkey TURKEY 2022 - not taking part

escYOUnited

Administrator

flag-800.png

iwanna belovewithyou

Turkey has always been a historical friend of italy, but recently the italian prime minister defined erdogan a dictator and relations between the two countries have become very bad especially because italy and the italians are having a bad view of turkey, and then it was also beaten by italy recently, after all tourism in turkey is also losing a lot, erdogan is close to the elections and also needs the votes of the turkish eurofans, and then a eurovision in italy will not at all be a gay pride like those which they recently did.

AlekS

Veteran
Lukashenko failed the dictator club. Erdogan is on the mission to save their butts... and steal the spotlight from Putin. Intraspecific competition :cool::LOL:
As we've seen with Lukashenko, yes, they really take a song contest that seriously.

Erdogan's ratings hit all-time low in May, he can become more pro-European to steal some votes from his competitors.

Personally, I hope the EBU won't be stupid and they will wait 2 more years until the next presidential election is over.

Sammy

Veteran
The statement of TRT clearly says they will not return as long as the current voting system is in place. I don’t think EBU will change it. So…
And let‘s not forget how many times Turkey has announced its return to the contest and it never happened.

Last edited:

ESC94

The statement of TRT clearly says they will not return as long as the current voting system is in place. I don’t think EBU will
change it. So…
And let‘s not forget how many times Turkey has announced its return to the contest and it never happened.

Yeah, in German we call this time of the year "Sommerloch" (summer hole).

GianlucaTomoe

Banned
I still oppose the participation of this country in ESC, in the name of quality music.

DenizESC

Banned
If it is TRT, which it is. I would agree with Gianluca tbh :ROFLMAO:

And tbf if TRT genuinely is interested in returning don't expect anything good, they will have an agenda. I can actually see modern TRT pull a Belarus and use Eurovision to get support for the 2023 elections where they are losing. Turkish voters are very emotional clown 🤡 they will actually fall for a stunt AKP manipulation with an aim of Europe is against us!!! (just look the article mentions how much of an audience ESC reached, it's clear what they would want imo XD)

Let's waste our energy in getting Kazakhstan in and instead and wait for 2023 instead imho.

DenizESC

Banned
Lukashenko failed the dictator club. Erdogan is on the mission to save their butts... and steal the spotlight from Putin. Intraspecific competition :cool::LOL:
As we've seen with Lukashenko, yes, they really take a song contest that seriously.

Erdogan's ratings hit all-time low in May, he can become more pro-European to steal some votes from his competitors.

Personally, I hope the EBU won't be stupid and they will wait 2 more years until the next presidential election is over.
You're smart! you said what I said basically about the current political climate before me :D

This is 100% true and the point if they would be interested.

A-lister

Veteran

This!

Erdogan is cynical as hell (I mean he staged a fake "coup" and collaborated with ISIS, let alone all the journalists his regime put prison, so the guy can go to any length really), so wouldn't surprise me if he will "fake flirt" with pro-Western voters only to steal another election. EBU is kinda desperate to have that big market back though so I'm afraid they don't care (Belarus is small so it's probably the reason why they did do something for a change).

GianlucaTomoe

Banned
"Location: UK"

Ok..........

In another thread, I already listed a series of countries, among the ones that are currently participating, that shouldn't participate in ESC because of the low quality of their entries, and Italy (my country) and UK (the country where I live now) are among these. Among the currently inactive countries, I never made a list so far, but I know for certain that Turkey shouldn't return.

Mainshow

Veteran
I'm a bit lost at his words... Why did he applaud the new executive producer's work by saying that "finally, after many years, he organised a good Eurovision edition"?

I really liked this year's edition in terms of winner, performances and hosts but it wasn't that different from previous years, imo: The voting system hasn't changed since 2016, the juries are still part of the show, the Big-5 rule hasn't been expunged and we still got our fair share of LGTBQ+ content/entrants.

I honestly don't get TRT's statement. I think they are trolling. Some sort of.

That said, I'd be deliriously happy for all Turkish fans if Turkey decides to come back. I'd prefer TRT's view on Eurovision and LGTBQ+ people first, though.

DenizESC

Banned
Btw in an alternative reality where Turkey DOES take part and TRT decides to be tasteful.

Besides ofc Queen Aleyna Fox and Edis I would like to see my wonderful hemşehris Feride Hilal Akㅡn and Lin Pesto #stanAnkara

Emoshen queen (Tutku is also a crybop we stan)

Lesbian lonely futuristic Ankara nights, relatable for everyone

Lance Esgard

I'm a bit lost at his words... Why did he applaud the new executive producer's work by saying that "finally, after many years, he organised a good Eurovision edition"?

I really liked this year's edition in terms of winner, performances and hosts but it wasn't that different from previous years, imo: The voting system hasn't changed since 2016, the juries are still part of the show, the Big-5 rule hasn't been expunged and we still got our fair share of LGTBQ+ content/entrants.

I honestly don't get TRT's statement. I think they are trolling. Some sort of.

That said, I'd be deliriously happy for all Turkish fans if Turkey decides to come back. I'd prefer TRT's view on Eurovision and LGTBQ+ people first, though.
The focus on the new executive producer might be a way to save face in explaining why discussions have begun at all given their prior position (and the stuff that hasn't actually changed), or to be able to insult many years of Eurovision in a relatively more diplomatically phrased way.

hpp0

I would really like them to come back as I loved their songs (not so much the 00s ones but the older) but let's say they come back, for how long are they going to stay? As far as I know their main problem is the voting system and the inclusion of the juries. Juries might put them high the first 2 - 3 years (but probably not high enough to allow them to have a chance to win) but after that I imagine due to their big diaspora they will get the Poland treatment and get constantly downvoted by the juries, so I don't know if they really are ready to come back right now even if the current system is more balanced than the old one.

tomos2019

I don't think you can just say for example Italy ''shouldn't'' participate IMO. I do think if my dream of split UK in Eurovision finally came true then on principle that would probably be more my taste in music than what unfortunately does strike me as essentially just a southeast England participation(even if I do like some UK entries!) but as for actual landmasses that shouldn't be in it it seems a bit harsh to actually get rid of existing countries just for the sake of it.

Top Bottom