Contact us

TONIGHT: EUROVISION SONG CONTEST 2018 - LIVE DISCUSSION THREAD

NemesisNick

#AllAboard It's all over now. Israel won the Eurovision Song Contest 2018 with 529 points. Congratulations to Israel. As much as I personally dislike "TOY" (it's not my taste in music anyway), Netta Barzilai did amazingly well to win for Israel in such a close-run vote this year. That means Israel has now won four times since its debut entry in 1973. Israel - Winners 1978, 1979 1998, 2018. 20 years gap between its two most recent wins (1998 - 2018).

Well done to all the 26 finalists that took part tonight. Commiserations to the United Kingdom, which finished 24th out of 26 with just 48 points; SuRie sang well for the United Kingdom, despite the uncalled-for stage invasion. I was shocked and disgusted when I spotted the stage invasion. I'm glad SuRie kept calm and carried on singing during the invasion. She was offered the chance to sing again, but didn't. I guess she would have been too stressed to sing again, and might have given an inferior performance second time around, in which case that may have been detrimental to viewers voting for her. Cyprus, who I would have preferred to win over Israel, finished second with 436 points.

Altogether an excellent night of entertainment, and what a nail-biting voting sequence. Just for the record I voted for Estonia, Australia, Cyprus, Lithuania, Spain, France, Denmark and Norway.

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
Thank you, :pt: Portugal and Lisbon for a great Grand Final, really enjoyed it! xcheer

My favourites (top 10) in the Final were:

1. :cy: Cyprus
2. :dk: Denmark
3. :au: Australia
4. :fi: Finland
5. :rs: Serbia
6. :md: Moldova
7. :it: Italy
8. :fr: France
9. :ee: Estonia
10. :no: Norway

Some reflections:

- Congrats :il: Israel with victory! Personally I don't like the entry at all, I am no fan of joke/gimmick-entries in the ESC and this felt like it to me, but once again Europe loves an entry that is not my cup of tea (same happened last year with Salvador) so maybe my taste is slightly out of touch.. ;) Ps. We discussed at my place if the Israel-Palestine situation would hurt the Israeli entry but it seems that did not happen.

- :cy: Cyprus, you should have won! Congrats on a great 2nd place! xup

- :at: Austria and :de: Germany: surprised they did so well, found them both average myself but Europe obviously enjoyed them.

- :se: What the heck happened with :se: Sweden!? The televote-collapse was more than mysterious and destroyed its chances of a high result. Very peculiar.. it was 11th on my list, nice I thought but lacked something.. did not deserve to be destroyed by the televote though..

- a15th place in the end for :no: Norway. Alexander Rybak did his best and had a very good stage show with great charisma I thought, but the melody was always kinda average and so I hoped for a top 12. Fewer votes from the juries than expected damaged its chances for a top 10 I think. Well done anyways, Alexander! You will always be a legend after your glorious 2009 ESC victory! xup

- What happened with :au: Australia? I was sure it would end top 5 and can't understand why it was so underrated. Very strange I find. :fi: Finland also deserved a much better result. 2 catchy modern pop-songs well performed, too mainstream for modern Eurovision? Does one have to send something unique/different that stands out to win? Many of the winners past years have been in this category one way or another..

The show was quite good I thought. I liked some of the humour though some was a little strange to me. I also liked the stage, lighting and hosts. But how could a ESC-host again manage to have a person slip through onto the stage (UK entry?) Once again a security-slip up, they must improve their routines so we don't see this happen again in already volatile Israel next year..

Another ESC is over. It has been exciting and fun as always. Well done, all - already I look forward to next year! xup

Jukica

(Retired) Admin
Congrats to :il: :D I was expecting that it will be :il: vs. :cy:, I was actually rooting for :cy: in the end :D

I'll write more tomorrow :D

Also, full jury/televoting results are out - https://eurovision.tv/event/lisbon-2018

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Does someone have the link to split jury voting thing. I honestly cannot find it and it's driving me mad. -_-

blein

delete.

crashworld

Veteran
deletes image to prevent cluttering

Thanks for the detailed table.
So songs that are destined to fail to qualify (meaning flopping in both televoters and jury) are:

Semi 1
- Azerbaijan
- Armenia
- Belarus
- Croatia
- FYR Macedonia
- Iceland

Semi 2:
- Montenegro
- Russia
- San Marino
- Georgia

Amethystos

In a year where all the participants were no more than mediocre, we had a good winner which came first in televoting.

Btw
give my congrats to mr Rybak for keeping his record one more year and please don't forget to inform him that we learned how to write a song....

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
Just read the semi results. Alexander Rybak won semi 2! Fantastic! Who would have thought! :D

Noticed also that Azerbaijan just missed out on qualification (11th), would have had them in the Final.

ag89

I am happy to see Russian and Ukrainian juries didn't ignore each other the way they did back in 2016 or the way Armenians and Azeris do it regardless of the song. Of course, Russian song got 0 from the Ukrainian jury (deserved), but she was not there like dead last. On the other hand Ukraine got some points from the Russian jury (at least in the semi final)

#peacepeacelovelove

Preuss

Australia was robbed... last place, really...?
Bulgaria didn’t do as well as I thought...
Belgium didn’t qualify...

Top Bottom