Contact us

There are not enough older acts

PinchyCrabstina

So I just realized that there are only 2 (!!!) acts this year that are 40+, Serhat and Darude ft. Sebastian Rejman... I feel like this has become a recurring theme in Eurovision (or everywhere in society really, ageism is running rampant!). Not saying that every other act needs to be like Engelbert Humperdinck because that would be pretty boring too... But more diversity with all the different age groups properly represented would be nice, and I say that as a young person (20).

What do you guys think?

BorisBubbles

Veteran
Nah, I think we're good. There's no need to have diversity in singers just for the sake of it. Give me engaging people with good songs and I'll be satisfied, no matter who or what they are.

The main problem that I have with the older acts in this year that there very often is a disconnect between their age and the type of entry they're trying to bring. I call it an Embarassing Parent Vibe, like when your parents try to fit in with your friends and start to adopt teentalk to sound hip and groovy? �� Sebastian uses his EDM song to ~raise awareness of social issues~ with a strained PainFace and my instinctive response to that is "Whatever you say, *dad* ��".

Tamta likewise has a similar problem in that she's almost forty and is used to pull off a Femme Fatale party song, which would simply be more credible if she looked my age (I'm ten years younger than she is). Cyprus try to counter that with extensive make-up and hiring dancers that look more haggard than she does, but it just doesn't work, because girl is at the age where most people have children and also she looks like this:

tumblr_inline_ppm2p0MpsV1uj0mew_500.png

She's in that awkward age group where you can look either glamorous or haggard, depending on how well you sleep (given the aching joints and chronic backpain you feel once you pass 26 years, probably not very well)

Cyprus needs to recognize she's more of a Cool Mom type (even Tamta refers to herself as a "Mommy" to her "Baby" dancers!!!) and roll with it, otherwise the shoe won't fit. Everyone (especially the gays) love a glam cougress. GIVE US WHAT WE WANT!!!

Serhat's age doesn't bother me at all, though, and neither did Lina Hedlund's, Hank von Hell's and Arvingarna's (who are all middle-aged, but would count as "old" in an ESC context), because they made their age work for and not against them. The genre defo helps (Schlager and Rock are two examples of timeless genres), but more importantly their songs did not try to coerce them into a younger, hip role which is the reason why most older ESC acts flop.

Except for Engelbert. He was just boring lol.

Top Bottom