Contact us

The Venue & Host city

Jacketh

I created this this time last year and we had that very long wait. With first the rumours of a stadium, Lyiv, etc. We eventually ended up in Kiev, which seems to me did a fine job!

I'm sure that the Portuguese guys on here will keep us updated on their thoughts on where we could be heading next year. I imagine Portugal will be keen to have it in Lisbon though, particularly with it being the first time they'll want it to be perfect, and it has the infrastructure I imagine. I hear that Lisbon has a 20,000 modern venue that'd be perfect.

DanielLuis

MEO Arena, formerly called Pavilhão Atlântico (that 20,000 seater) is almost surely going to be the venue!
The area around it, the Parque das Nações (Park of the Nations) was used to host the Expo 1998 and it has the potential to be an incredible eurovillage!

I still can't believe I'm actually discussing this. I'm so damn happy!!

Jacketh

Congrats!

And yeah, that is the place I'm on about. I feel like this won't be much of a bidding process... seems like it'll be a formality that place will host. It screams Eurovision. Looks great!

Any other potential venues that could table a bid?

Uvaro

i think the only real option will be the meo in lisbon. porto would be nice but the biggest arena there only has a capacity of 5400

DanielLuis

I think besides Meo Arena most arenas have less than 10000 seat. In Lisbon, Campo Pequeno has 10000 seats but it is too small to properly host Eurovision.
Unless some alternatives like the B&W Hallerne arise, or some stadium, MEO arena with the 20000 seats is the only viable option! And it really is the perfect venue, it is situated fantastically in Lisbon, in a very beautiful part of the city, and the area around it has everything to be the perfect Eurovision venue, with the Euroclub, Eurovillage and everything else being around the arena.

0scar

GOD I can't believe we're actually heading for Lisbon next year.. my second favourite city in Europe xheat I love it, and the venue proposed seems perfect. Can't wait until Eurovision starts again next year!

Nemesis

Right next to MEO Arena, we have 4 Pavillions used for Lisbon's International Fair.

3_669.jpg

ag89

It's incredible we can discuss this topic about Portugal hosting, really lovely.

QwaarJet

ESC Moderator
I'm positively salivating. And it's very likely I'll be attending assuming my health doesn't get worse. So my first ever ESC will be in this wonderful city!

MyHeartIsYours

I'm guessing with Portugal waiting SO LONG to host, there is no doubt really that it will be in the capital. I would be surprised if it is given to Porto, Faro or any other city for that reason alone, even if they had acceptable venues (which I have no idea about lol).

If I do end up going then that works perfectly for me because Lisbon is one of those places I've always wanted to visit but never actually go round to going to :p I think it looks a beautiful city, so much history and culture, and I imagine its stadiums/arenas and infrastructure are far more equipped for Eurovision than other cities in the country.

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
Going for sure as long as it isn't my exam week, and even if it is, I might not be able to resist taking all classes with papers my final semester to go. I can't wait to be acquainted with Portugal - never been but heard great things :D

GermanBango

I bet that the EBU (*cough* Björkman *cough*) is going to say that MEO is too big. :?

FilipFromSweden

30 million euro is the budget. It's more than 2013, 2015, 2016 and 2017 but slightly less than 2014. I thought the budget was going to be smaller! Anywho I am impressed by how fast Portugal has made decisions

Ezio

Veteran
Portugal winning finally makes Eurovision complete for me. I lived to see my country win in 2014 and to see a country win, that I desperately rooted for for many years. I don't know what more can I ask for from the future. My Eurovision bucket list is checked.

The only thing I can do is to visit as much Eurovisions as possible in the future.

For some reason, I'd love to go to Oporto again for Eurovision. This city is lovely and has astounding features like the Douro valley right before the river's estuary to the Sea.
The city is very vintage and hipster. I would love to live there.

Douro-Kreuzfahrt-Porto.jpg

Oporto_%28Ponte_do_Douro%29.jpg

Ezio

Veteran
Top Bottom