Who do you WANT to win?

• Total voters

Ezio

Veteran
xrose

xlwnie.jpg

I will be so upset if Sweden once again crashes the party of the South

burrito

I'd love Portugal as a winner because it's something outstanding, unique, beautiful in it's simplicity and full of emotions at the same time. (and it's sung in Portugese!)
I'd love Bulgaria as a winner because it's something fresh, modern and may appeal to wider masses (and partly because of the fact Kristian is so young, and ESC should appeal also to young people :D )
I'd love Italy as a winner because it's catchy, feel-good song, very radio-friendly so it will become a hit. (and it's sung in Italian)

I have no idea whom to choose. Probably :pt:, but I can't really decide once and for good.
And that's a sign that this final will be great :D

Jacketh

Portugal now favourite on Betfair. I expect other bookies to follow suit by the end of the day.

nikkisback

Portugal has a nostalgic ballad sung in native language, which would usually end deep down in the semi, but the beautiful presentation and Salvador's charm turned that around, and look at them in the odds now! The fanbase is in love with Salvador, and he might win the televotes with his cute-weird personality.

Bulgaria has a modern song in English which can take the votes of both the younger audience, the Bulgarian diaspora (which is not crazy as Armenian or Turkish, but still they're there) and Balkan televotes, since they and Croatia would be the only representatives. Apart from televotes, this may be the jury winner just because it has the most TOP 20 appeal and out of three, this has the luckiest draw, right between two up-tempo songs.

Italy is a long-time favourite which is getting some backlash unfairly, but still many think the song is entertaining, clever and satirical. However understanding the Italian song may take some time for the people outside of the fanbase, which gives the advantage to Bulgaria and Portugal. Although he has an interesting stage performance, Francesco is neither as quirky (in the best way possible) as Salvador or cute (and appealing to younger audience) as Kristian. However the jury may choose to protect him, and the televote-crowd may choose him instead of Portugal or Bulgaria because the song's just so entertaining and catchy.

In conclusion, i don't know which one to choose! Song-wise i like Italy and Bulgaria better than Portugal, but i just love Salvador and his underdog country's winning chances.

Jacketh

Do you guys think Kristian might pick up a lot of the ex-Soviet countries that normally went for Russia, though? He's popular in Russia apparently.

If he can pick up most of the Balkan states, and the likes of Azerbaijan, Georgia, etc, then he's on his way to winning, surely?

The song is modern enough and will do well in Western states as well. Might be overshadowed by Portugal and Italy, but plenty of 8s and 10s.

LoveHate

Do you guys think Kristian might pick up a lot of the ex-Soviet countries that normally went for Russia, though? He's popular in Russia apparently.

Most definitely. It appears as if some people/countries vote for Russia by default, regardless of what they send (2014, 2011 come to mind). If those votes are channeled to Bulgaria, Kristian wins. If Russia was still in the contest, Bulgaria would be more of an underdog. Sure, they could have received full marks from Russia, but Russia would be collecting all those autovotes.

midnightsun

Veteran
In the end, Italy will win. A funny, light song will always will win over a ballad. Italy will attract more people. Portugal is definitely not everyone's taste (especially not the younger audience one's and the first-time-listeners) and Bulgaria will probably be too mainstream for a lot of people, not outstanding enough. But I think this is gonna be an interesting night on Saturday, I wouldn't even count Belgium out of winning! Closely behind Sweden and then probably Romania, achieving a huge fan / televoters' response, like Poland last year!

midnightsun

Veteran
Kristian will surely get a lot of votes from the Ex-Sovjets, but I think so will Portgual and probably Belarus, Armenia and Hungary, for their traditional folk songs! Not sure, Kristian will gather that amount of votes, probably more from Balkan countries than Ex-Sovjets.

Jacketh

In the end, Italy will win. A funny, light song will always will win over a ballad. Italy will attract more people. Portugal is definitely not everyone's taste (especially not the younger audience one's and the first-time-listeners) and Bulgaria will probably too mainstream for a lot of people, not outstanding enough. But I think this is gonna be an interesting night on Saturday, I wouldn't even count Belgium out of winning! Closely behind Sweden and then probably Romania, achieving a huge fan / televoters' response, like Poland last year!

Do the public always prefer the fun, lighthearted stuff though?

Last year Russia wins the televote with Ukraine second. There wasn't really a fun entry, these were both quite traditional.
2015 Italy won the televote with Russia second; Mans was obviously the 'fun' entry that year.

The public still love a good ballad and the more traditional music. I really think Bulgaria, and especially Portugal, will finish above Italy in the public vote.

Italy will *need* a strong performance with the Juries. And I'm not sure he'll get it in my opinion.

QwaarJet

ESC Moderator
1. Portugal
2. Italy
3. Anyone that isn't Bulgaria

Ezio

Veteran
The astrology map,
gives a battle between..

Astrological winner has to be :pt:, runner-up :it:.

Other songs dont make sense astrologically this year, except for :fr:

A-lister

Veteran
Bulgaria is my preferred song just based on music taste, but summing up different aspects (language, originality, what would be good for ESC etc.) I'd vote for Italy.

Bulgaria, while being one of the better ballads amongst the overflood of ballads this year, is "just another" English language Westernized ballad, it's not a bad song or anything and it feels enough up to date and well produced (which can't be said of all the ballads), but is it really what ESC needs right now? It sounds though like it could cross-over to radios, but somehow I think it won't be a hit in Europe, maybe in some limited markets.

Portugal is probably the most overrated song this year, I like that it's authentic, I like that it differs and that it's sung in native language, and I respect all of that plus Portugal deserved better outcomes many times, but this to me is a sleeping pill and dated simply, it's not a cheesy wailing stuff which is good because those I can't stand, but on the other hand it just feels out of touch somehow.

Italy is catchy, poppy and sung in native language, although it's not as special as people make it out to be, it's a pretty standard radio-Pop song but atleast it has something that sets it apart and I could see this being one of those rare moments when a non-English language song cross-over to become atleast a medium-sized hit in most of Europe, the same can obviously not be said about Portugal which will have its moment in ESC, but then won't be touched by any radios around Europe and ESC again will produce a winner that lacks in relevance in the sense that it won't cross-over, and I think ESC needs to not only stay unique, but also have some relevance in music.

FilipFromSweden

I just don't want Bulgaria to win, he has said in an interview he would smash the trophy in Moscow if he did. An utterly disrespectful child who still needs time to grow

A-lister

Veteran
I just don't want Bulgaria to win, he has said in an interview he would smash the trophy in Moscow if he did. An utterly disrespectful child who still needs time to grow

Smash the trophy? What does he even mean by that? xshrug

Top Bottom