Contact us

The predecessors

Fluke

No doubt this year's winner will be seen as a watershed moment, like when Norway's Secret Garden showed that winners could be far from formulaic pop, and Finland's Lordi made the contest cool again, to so many who thought of it as outdated and irrelevant. Now we have a winner who's surely going to be seen as bringing the contest back to being about music, and bringing back the style of the first decades of the contest. But Salvador Sobral isn't the first one to try, even in recent years, there's some important predecessors.

"Kuula" was an important one, much praised for the simplicity of its staging and for staying with Estonian, though with a more modern sound.

"När jag blundar" was also a simple classic number, though it didn't make the final, and it's the only time Swedish has been used in the modern age - ironically only by Finland!

"Birds" is perhaps the most important one of all, as it went for an entirely orchestral arrangement with no drums, and also using the satellite stage just like Salvador - though this might have been a bad choice, as the audience ruined the mood a bit, but the song still got much praise.

"Eg a lif" is also worth a mention, as it's in Icelandic and has a similar relaxed, folksy vocal style in the first half. Though it failed to produce much enthusiasm, it at least made the finals.

"One Thing I Should Have Done" was also a simple solo number with a similar low-key delivery and slightly goofy appearance, that should be mentioned.

You could also consider France's "Et s'il fallait le faire" and "Sognu" to be predecessors, though they weren't very succesful, the later had very high expectations but turned out disappointing to most. And even the great Conchita had some similarities, although glamorous, it was still a simple solo performance and the song had a similar structure, classic orchestral arrangement, plus their voices are actually a bit alike!

What other entries do you think are important predecessors?

joao

Super Moderator
Staff member
I actually think this year we had two (besides Portugal).

Czech Republic and Finland!

And may we never forget this precious gem:

Fluke

Lol, i love the studio version of "Siren" but the performance was total wreckage.

FilipFromSweden

I think it's always on trend that the following year many countries is inspired by what won the previous year (so many ballads this year! So much pop last year etc). I think however not many is going to catch on the trend of doing something like Salvador did since it's obvious it's incredibly difficult to reach the kind of level and quality he did (just like in 2013: there wasn't much copying of Euphoria). I think there will be more pop entries inspired by Bulgaria, Moldova and Belgium

joao

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lol, i love the studio version of "Siren" but the performance was total wreckage.

The performance could have handled Malcolm alone at the stage. They didn't needed to add the rest. And the backing singer did this weird moves. Anyway... the song was good and that is what's important.

Alaska49

I think it's always on trend that the following year many countries is inspired by what won the previous year (so many ballads this year! So much pop last year etc). I think however not many is going to catch on the trend of doing something like Salvador did since it's obvious it's incredibly difficult to reach the kind of level and quality he did (just like in 2013: there wasn't much copying of Euphoria). I think there will be more pop entries inspired by Bulgaria, Moldova and Belgium
i actually would like to expand on this and posit that the next contest is never really shaped by the previous winner, and after sergey's epilepsy-trigger-warning extravaganza was hurled off a cliff by the juries, i think it will happen even less than before. it's just too transparent to try to piggy-back off the previous winner, while being inspired by other entries who did well is a lot more lucrative - beautiful mess is basically sound of silence 2.0, and it got even more points, even if the placement ended up the same.

a very early guess of mine would be that sunstroke project will be the biggest influence on next year - the message sent by their success is that as long as your musical package is tight and competent, you are allowed to have fun with your concept and staging. countries like greece are completely able to follow this and actually leave the scrap heap for once.

anto475

Ezio

Veteran
The female Salvador

This is not even close to Salvador, because there is no emotion and sincerity, but the proof that even the old days of Eurovision produced meaningless and bland winners. This is one of the most forgettable winners of all times.

Alaska49

i mean, i think it's a damp squib of a song too, but the year only had 12 songs and pretty much all of them were weak, so i'm not surprised this won by default

Laepo1

as a side note: this was supposed to be the Portuguese entry in 1970. We withdraw because we were against the voting system at the time :p

SpZ

The performance could have handled Malcolm alone at the stage. They didn't needed to add the rest. And the backing singer did this weird moves. Anyway... the song was good and that is what's important.

Who is Malcolm?

Alaska49

i actually would like to expand on this and posit that the next contest is never really shaped by the previous winner, and after sergey's epilepsy-trigger-warning extravaganza was hurled off a cliff by the juries, i think it will happen even less than before. it's just too transparent to try to piggy-back off the previous winner, while being inspired by other entries who did well is a lot more lucrative - beautiful mess is basically sound of silence 2.0, and it got even more points, even if the placement ended up the same.

a very early guess of mine would be that sunstroke project will be the biggest influence on next year - the message sent by their success is that as long as your musical package is tight and competent, you are allowed to have fun with your concept and staging. countries like greece are completely able to follow this and actually leave the scrap heap for once.
i would like to bring attention to the fact that i 100% predicted netta AND mikolas (and to a lesser extent saara)

i am so good at this sometimes i wish i could make it into a career

Top Bottom