Contact us

The Overrated and Underrated of 2020

simonPL

Overrated: :lt:

Seriously, I think like I am the only one who doesn't feel that guy vibes. Song is very catchy indeed, but for me those dance moves are to cooky and calculated. This is the same case for me like "Dance you off" from Sweden or "You're The Only One" from Russia, directed from A to Z. I just don't buy it and don't like those kind of performences where they try too hard to prove something.

Underrated: :ua:

Based on odds. I don't get why this is soooo low, it's my only "12" this year so far.

Nemo89

Overrated: :lt:

Seriously, I think like I am the only one who doesn't feel that guy vibes. Song is very catchy indeed, but for me those dance moves are to cooky and calculated. This is the same case for me like "Dance you off" from Sweden or "You're The Only One" from Russia, directed from A to Z. I just don't buy it and don't like those kind of performences where they try too hard to prove something.

Underrated: :ua:

Based on odds. I don't get why this is soooo low, it's my only "12" this year so far.
The dance and the show has the function of putting patches. The Lithuanian song has nothing but an appealing sound but it lacks an irresistible refrain. A good song that can enter the final and perhaps also in the "Top 10" but nothing more.

I don't agree when you write that the Ukraine song is underestimated. So far in the votes of users is third. And you also have to calculate that it is sung in Ukrainian and not in English! However, in my humble opinion, the fate of the Ukrainian song is similar to that of Lithuania: final and probable "Top 10".

Then if you refer to betting odds, maybe they think that a song sung in Ukrainian may not be understood by the whole audience and however appreciable, we are not talking about a stratospheric sound.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Overrated:

:lt: Honestly this is probably the most confused I think I've ever been made by a fan favourite. I just don't get it. The song itself is empty, monotonous, devoid of anything really besides the eccentricity of the singer. And I love my kooky, eccentrics but the song is too bland.

:is: See above but with the song being more serviceable here. Again though, I'm very confused, more so in this case cause I don't think the performance is actually all that even. We're memeing but I don't think it's a particularly entertaining LOL. Song is fine though. Just absolutely does not warrant being the favourite to win.

:no: So cold and sterile. Where's the heart? I can't find it anyway.

:ch: (can we please fix this tiny flag) Another ballad I have extreme difficulty connecting with. Like Norway it leaves me cold, except I do see some merit in the composition. I just feel like overall it's only going through the motions really.

:de: I find this one more amusing that anything else. Everyone hated on Benjamin Ingrosso back in 2018, but Germany going even squeakier and twinkier in 2020 with a song lacking the cool and more contemporary vibes of Dance You Off and it's "yaaaaay winneeeer".

Underrated:

:sl: Eurovision fans are doing it wrong. In an ideal world they'd all be celebrating the warmth and celestial beauty of Slovenia. This entry is gorgeous and if people allowed it their patience I think they'd realise it. Ana also has quite easily the greatest voice of this year. So rich and full of feeling, powerful. When everyone else's favourites start disappointing at the rehearsals, watch this one come through like my underdog ballads usually always do. Happens every year.

The other songs I enjoy this year have enough appreciation I think to avoid getting a mention. Songs like Georgia and Latvia for instance are divisive but the appreciation is there. Perhaps I could say Albania, but again it's actually gotten a decent reaction.

Last edited:

AleksTheDino

Overrated:
:is: - I find it cringey and bad, if this wins I cry.
:it: - I actually like this. But so high in the odds and potential winner, nah..
:se: - although people are upset about this, i still find it overrated because this is near the bottom for me
:rs: - I like that it is uptempo but people overhype this, the chorus is missing something..
:uk: - everyone has marked this as a step in the right direction for the UK, for me thats my last place and just as bad as last year or worse..
:al: - Always doing well in polls, I dont find anything interesting in this, Albania has been sending the same song for years in my eyes.

Underrated:
:ro: - Still a contender to win and my #1 this year. LOVE THIS. I hope staging will turn this back into a favourite to win it all
:ch: - Basically the same as above, my #2 this year, I love this and hope it can win. We know he can sing this live so...cmon switzerland.
:pt: - I kind of understand people finding this boring, for me it makes me feel something, I love the language, I wish it got more recognition xheart Always love portugal!!
:am: - This is better than Greece to me. The studio version especially. Hope it qualifies!
:au: - I've been the biggest australia hater so this is surprising me but...why do people write this off? I think the song is really good, just change the performance..I dont think this is bad or nq at all. Funny how I never liked Australia except for 2015 and now Im one of the few people who finds it quite good.
:ge: - Glad to see people realize that this is good, I love it and hope it can do a top 10 finish for Georgia
:hr: - Similar to Portugal. I understand people who find it boring but it touches me somehow. I love the language here too.

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
O:

:ro: The song is overrated per se but it's Roxen the biggest problem of it all. Unprofessional mess shouldn't get praise at all
:bg: Insert Please old Bulgaria come back!!!! comment here
:it: Just your safe and boring ballad
:ch: Good thing I don't find it as horrendous as *rc*d* but again, unmemorable and i have a hard time to connect with it
:de: It's still the best big 5 effort by far but still don't adore it
:no: Bland as hell and I hope the hype is just because of the singer (Places issa bop btw)
:be: I love to see """""""""real music""""""""""""""""""" fans trying to excuse the repetitive lyrics while they would bash them in any commercial pop song is kinda fun though
:fi: it won

U:

:il: Sis has it ALL (killer song, killer artist, did a great performance in such a short span of time) and yet not even in the top 10 of the public/odds? MESS
:cz: This should never have got the hate it got in the beginning
:am: DEF needs a revamp but not the tragedy people make it out to sound like
:ua: based on the odds
:by: issabop who defeated another horrendous man in a piano it shouldn't be overlooked

should i also add sweden and say that dotter wasn't all that? xqueenbitch

Uto

Veteran
I compared my rankings to the bookies to decide who to put here. Used data from this afternoon.

Overrated:
:dk: - The song is not pretty, it's not well produced, it's not well sung, this should be somewhere in the lower-middle range.
:uk: - Lol, this song is basically garbage. Well-intended garbage, but garbage. The singer has next to no charm. Hopeless.
:is: - It's okay I guess and there's a charm to it that undeniably has an effect on a lot of people, but nothing special here.
:fr: - Horrible entry. Just sucks the life right out of you. Last place for me ever since it was released, yet some people rate it.
:lt: - It's pretty good, but I don't see this winning. Iceland is worse, but has more appeal. This shouldn't be near the top.

Underrated:
:ua: - This should be in the conversation for the win. Top banger and had to finesse its way out of Vidbir somehow.
:es: - This is solid. People are sleeping on this for no reason. It has a great hook, it's current and the singer is charming.
:al: - Early favorite that has been forgotten it seems. It *is* that good.
:lv: - People act like this is some sort of joke. It's not. It's just very niche, but within that niche, this is damn solid.
:au: - Still a major dark horse if they can get the staging right. The song is there, they should have a good finish.

midnightsun

Veteran
overrated: B U L G A R I A !!!!

And I don't hope I have to write Denmark here as well because I hope people will become sane and rank this very down at the bottom of the list... any list. Unless it's the most overrated list.

Zonne147

Overrated: :mt: :is:
Underrated: :ua: (!!!!!!!!!) :by: :cy: :at:

Zonne147

Let's do it again:

Overrated:

:mt: - It's a personal issue I guess, there are better "mainstream" songs this year, this seems too repetitive
:is: - A grower but still (and will never) don't agree this is contending for the win
:ru: - Catchy but not for me, I have seen better similar stuff in the contest
:it: - It seems to be climbing in tne betting odds again, there are better ballads this year. Still think this won't finish top 10
:am: - No. Was the revamp so different to see people that were putting this on 40th place before and now it is on their Top 10?? I guess it's more a "go with the wave" thing. Still NQ, she is too average live and this may flop

Underrated:

:se: - Oh yes. I can't just get tired of the song, I have it on repeat all day long. Keep sending fantastic mainstream songs :se: I'm ready to love them
:ua: - Personal thing. This may not fit everyone but you can't just say she is just screaming. Just a different type of voice
:at: - Probably a personal thing too. I like it, good vibes and danceable. Very well-produced imo too
:cy: - Same as :at:
:by: - Catchy instrumental, don't understand the hate for this song on YT - I like it!
:ge: - Not here but on YT this is hated af... It's like the 3rd consecutive year :ge: is in my underrated list but I believe this time there will be more people voting for it
:fr: - I know it's very very cheesy but tbh I like the melody very much and I hope it doesn't end last or bottom 3
:fi: - If "Cicciolina" was not in UMK 2020 this wouldn't be as hated as it is. Come on, it's not that bad (imo ofc)

Last edited:

Nemo89

:al: This song enjoys respect but is still a little underrated.
:am: Before other songs were made official it was overrated now instead it is a little underrated (certainly better than the Ukrainian song).
:at: Strongly underrated.
:au: Before it was heavily overrated, now it is underrated. My judgment? He can conquer the final but he is from eighteenth place.
:az: He enjoys due respect.
:be: "Release me" is underrated. For me this song is from eleventh / thirteenth place. Good choice of Belgium.
:bg: Overrated! Did Eurofans mistake the ESC for "Disney On Ice"?
:by: Before it was overrated. Now it has the right (little) consideration.
:ch: A little overrated. From the words of the Eurofans it seems that we are seeing a great piece of French-style music ...good song but the song goes on and boredom increases.
:cy: Many show feelings of tenderness for "Running" but are aware that it will be eliminated.
:cz: Before the change he enjoyed due respect. After the revamp, I agree with the Eurofans, it has lost its magic.
:de: Before, it enjoyed due respect and is now underrated. The problem with Germany is that it has brought a catchy song to an edition where catchy songs are many and competitive.
:dk: Song overrated in words then the votes of the Eurofans seem to give it the right size (from the middle of the ranking downwards).
:ee: No more is expected from Estonia. It will participate and will be eliminated. Same level as France but unfortunately not part of the "Big 5".
:fi: A little underrated.
:fr: Bad song that must thank for being part of the "Big 5". There are songs that will be eliminated that deserve its place. Everyone agrees to define it as little stuff, but lately it is experiencing an inexplicable little increase in consents.
:es: Spain raises the bar for ESC. But it is difficult to get more than a seventeenth place. Before it was underrated, it is currently enjoying some just more consensus.
:ge: Extraordinary! Eurofans are learning to recognize the value of this song even though ... some complain about the lyrics. Okay ... some criticism is right there is.
:gr: Overrated! If together with Stefania she sang Zac Efron we would attend "Highschool Musical". For me it is a song that can hardly conquer the final and reach a place between fourteenth and nineteenth place.
:hr: Weak song. Everyone agrees. I feel sorry for Croatian friends.
:ie: Underrated and unfortunate song. This song is unlikely to reach the final due to an over-priced Sweden.
:il: It deserves the final and perhaps a place in the "Top 10" but it is a little overrated.
:is: It deserves the final and perhaps a place in the "Top 10" but it is a little overrated. Anyway congratulations Iceland. After the Hatari they bring another valuable representative to the ESC.
:it: Overated!!! Diodato sucks, he is ugly and bad! The song recalls the ballads of June 7, 1927!!!
To boycott!
:lt: Excellent song for Lithuania but it is very overrated. A not too original ballet covers the gap of a non-phenomenal refrain. It deserves the "Top 10" and nothing more.
:lv: Overrated. This Baltic song also strengthens the show but is inferior to the Lithuanian song.
:md: Very underrated. Ok, the song maybe can't make room in the eurofan's heart but it's not bad!
:mk: Underrated. Great Macedonian song. I hope they reach the final.
:mt: Good song and excellent interpretation. Deserves the final. Maybe it's an underrated pinch.
:nl: Overrated. Sufficient song to honor the stage. The Netherlands have no intention of winning but of crowning the next winner.
:no: Super overrated. Only Ulrikke's voice saves a mechanical and overly constructed sentimental song.
:pl: A little underrated. He might struggle to make it to the final, but I fear he will fail.
:pt: Underrated. Technically it's a good song. As with Germany with catchy songs, the Portuguese song suffers from the high amount of competitive ballads.
:ro: Overrated. In other song editions like this I have seen them easily eliminated. For many Eurofans, a masterpiece worthy of silent admiration.
:rs: Although many pretend to love this song, it is actually a little underestimated. Deserves the final. For me, this is an energetic song.
:ru: God! I see people cheering because in this song "Uno" is repeated, the singer has a wig and a fat man writhes on the ground ... Madhouse stuff!
:se: Super overrated. With which song will Sweden risk being eliminated? Excellent recycling: from Lundvik to choristers. Then there are people who criticize the songs of others ...
:sl: For me it is a difficult song to interpret. He enjoys the right little consideration. Nothing to add.
:sm: Excellent test of San Marino which is confirmed as one of the queens of dance music! She has her admirers but is very underrated.
:ua: Solovey enjoys an estimate that I don't understand ... for me it's a false estimate. The song may deserve the final but it is not the masterpiece that many want to understand.
:uk: Song that is judged by the level it has: currently 25 points in the "Ranking Game". But I have read about some who consider the British song worthy of their great past and obviously better than others ...
:va: Holy God, help me! xpray

Last edited:

Franzilein

Overrated: :no::rs::ru::az::bg:
Underrated: :cy::by::fi::pl::au:

Alaska49

overrated: :it: for getting praise just for being italy even though they are mediocre this year, :al: for months of elvana gjata slander to defend the country's most average ballad, :dk: because people like it and that's enough tbh, :az: because i do enjoy it but people are acting like it's an instant classic or a winner and like calm down it's just a trash bop lol

underrated: :no: because i didn't live through years of people pretending undo by sanna nielsen is anything but a crap wrecking ball clone to tell me this one has no emotion, :ie: since it's a trash dated bop like so many who were fan favourites and yet for this one everyone decided they had standards, :ua: because It Has At Least One Hater [/gianlucatomoe], :uk: who has a legit effort and is not getting the recognition it deserves for the improvement, :au: because montaigne slays and after (if?) eurovision happens so many people will pretend they were day 1 fans just like with blanche and fellow australian KMH before her

Top Bottom