Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Overrated
:is: :pt: :no: :nl:

Underrated
:by: :ro: :ru: :cz:

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
Overrated: Switzerland, Estonia, United Kingdom, Belgium, Czech Republic, Netherlands, Malta and Azerbaijan WE DIDN'T START THE FIRE xsing

Properly rated by the far-larger-than-usual San Marino cult this year, underrated by everyone else: :sm:

Overrated as a song but subject to a lot of negative stuff which says far more about the people dealing it out than about the song, hence completely off any form of equilibrium and impossible to call "overrated" or "underrated:" :fr:

Underrated: :mk: :rs: :ge: are incredibly lush songs sung staggeringly well. I hope there's room in the final for one, two, or xpray all three. :at: is great, and I'm a little bit lost about where the reaction to a warm and lovely song like it comes from (though wouldn't mind if the press from certain segments of its fandom made it a bit easier for the unconverted not to be hopelessly annoyed). :ro: has recovered from the hit it took from being an NF choice by which Three Homosexuals Were Pleased (TM), so I can't put it here in good conscience anymore. That it's recovered from its status as an NF shocker, though, is perhaps a lesson for next time. I love :il: but fully understand where the reaction comes from. "Underrated" signals perplexity which I lack. From what I recall, the reaction to :lv: winning its NF was fairly positive, but it languishes at the bottom of the odds. I think that's a little unfair.

I'm so happy not to be putting :sl: in underrated! Werq, fan favorite!

I think :se:'s CHANCES are overrated, but the gap between my thoughts on the song and the reception the song's gotten is not ghastly like the above. It gets a reprieve.

Also, *extremely Chloe Sevigny voice https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoVbnv01Qek * it has recently come to my attention that Esk Younitied loves :hu:. If that were the impression I were getting from the fandom at large, I'd add it to the overrated list.

*catches breath* I feel like I truly left no stone unturned.

Teaisloveable

Ireland is so underated this year! They've had a bit of a mixed decade or so for sure, but its such a charming little song, I have a feeling it'll be popular with the jury, and perhaps a burst of the general public on the night.

carl1

Overrated:
Italy - they are overrated by fans almost every year (they deserved the hype only in 2015 and 2018 imo), but this years random massive hype is rather annoying

Underrated:
Azerbaijan - fabulous pop song that could be a worldwide hit.

A-lister

Veteran
Overrated:
:ru: - Grossly overrated, overdramatic, clichéd and banal ballad that even with its theatrical antics is surprisingly bland and dull.
:ch: - One of the worst uptempo/"bops" of the season, too constructed and plastic, jumping on a bandwagon too late. Not one of the worst songs, surely a top. 15, but winner material? Nah!
:gr: - A bland forgettable piece that tries to come across as more "interesting" than it actually is.
:nl: - While it's a pretty good song no doubt, I don't get the uber-hype for it. A winner really? Well... I guess if it's actually between this and Russia then yeah... not a tough choice but still.

Underrated:
:is: - Now it might be ranked high in both odds and fan polls, but imo it should be ranked even higher than "just top. 10" since this is probably one of the musically most interesting and well produced things we might have ever seen in ESC, and even outside of the ESC bubble this is really something unique. Clever combo of hard beats, roughness and softness and use of native language also adds some mystery to what is already a genius madhouse.
:au: - For once Australia brings something interesting to the contest and it's very underrated. Quirky little catchy gem that is both ESC-esque and unique enough on its own terms and puts a smile on your face for the right reasons.
:no: - Another song that is ranked fairly high but deserves even better, it's your "typical ESC-esque pseudo-ethno" DancePop song but it doesn't try to be something it's not and brings both nostalgia and a smile to your face, also it has its own character added into the mix.
:pl: - This song needs some listens to get to you, and while it lacks some oomph to it and initially comes across as a bit bland, it is still bringing something different to the contest and is genuine and one of the few truly local sounding entries, something ESC should emphasize rather than dismiss. Surely one of the more daring entries of the edition which should, in the best of worlds, pay off.

Top Bottom