Contact us

The Overrated and Underrated of 2018

Realest

I'm sorry but this posting is nonsense in my opinion. First, I dare to say that nobody here hates :se: as a country - neither concerning Eurovision nor in real life. Sometimes is personal taste, sometimes it's the Swedish kind of over-produced music that some people dislike. In my case I truly hate last years entry because of the cockiness of both Benjamin and the song itself, the Michael Jackson-esque concept (I really REALLY hate MJ), the staging, the music video, Benjamins Voice,... Enough reasons?

And :mk: doesn't hate Eurovision, what a silly, useless comment. I'd say that the delegation tried quite hard in the past two years songwise but then (like always) completely failed when it came to staging...

Sweden sent 3 years in a row successful Entries who ended up in the Top10 plus survived outside Eurovision and invented new performance concepts which never existed before and still got more 0s than 12s three years in a row in the poll and you really want to tell me that noone hates sweden? Do you really think Benjamin would receive the same hate if he represented another country? This is totally senseless. Also Im pretty sure the majority loves MJ and still gave him 0.
Meanwhile Macedonia sent successless songs which dont survive outside ESC with bad singers and/or performances like 2013,2014,2015, 2017 and 2018 which arent nearly on the level of an international Competitionand still slay al those polls. This is ridiculous imo and the reason why I was asking why Sweden is so strongly hated (yes, it is a hate).

Preuss

First of all; let me say that every performance is unique in their own way :D Like I’m pretty sure that we’ve never seen anyone using mannequin dolls on stage like Romania this year! Even though Blance might indirectly have been the first :rolleyes: To be fair, I haven’t heard any of Sweden’s last songs on the radio or anywhere really lol. And this argument that «songs survive outside Eurovision» sounds rather arrogant to me - maybe they do in your world ;)

I believe that Frans, Robin or Benjamin wouldn’t get that much «hate» if they represented another country - I think more people would’ve been utterly positive if they represented a country which hasn’t the same track-record as Sweden in the competition. It’s the same about you and Australia as you’ve confessed multiple times that you dislike their entries because of the country. Sure some ESC fans think the same way about Sweden. Not saying that a majority does hate on Sweden because it’s Sweden, but it definitely exists. Like, I haven’t seen many people raving about the fact that Azerbaijan hires Swedes lately as their results have dropped :rolleyes:

I mean, if you show the performances and songs of Sweden and for example Macedonia to non ESC-fans, more people would’ve preferred Sweden I believe. So you have some good points in your post but then you’re hating on Macedonian entries as well so I find it hard to find any credibility in you :D

mauve

Veteran
aef pretty much summed it up wonderfully. That you, realest, think that people here hate the country Sweden in ESC is pure nonsense. I hate no country, but just couldn't stand Benjamin's song. This year, for example, I am keeping my fingers crossed for Bergendahl (and hope she has a great song). And just because Benjamin is successful, doesn't mean that his song is good or not. Everyone has his/her taste and we are surely allowed to express our opinions. Sometimes I have the feeling that you are not only addicted to Benjamin, but also allow no other opinions than yours what Benjamin is concerned.

P.S. As for Macedonia, I didn't like the song 2018, but loved the staging. They put a lot of effort in it, so don't tell us they hate Eurovision.

aef

Sweden sent 3 years in a row successful Entries who ended up in the Top10 plus survived outside Eurovision and invented new performance concepts which never existed before and still got more 0s than 12s three years in a row in the poll and you really want to tell me that noone hates sweden? Do you really think Benjamin would receive the same hate if he represented another country? This is totally senseless. Also Im pretty sure the majority loves MJ and still gave him 0.
Meanwhile Macedonia sent successless songs which dont survive outside ESC with bad singers and/or performances like 2013,2014,2015, 2017 and 2018 which arent nearly on the level of an international Competitionand still slay al those polls. This is ridiculous imo and the reason why I was asking why Sweden is so strongly hated (yes, it is a hate).

Hm a discussion with you about that seems quite pointless to me so I will stop it for now... All I'd like to ad is that "surviving outside Eurovision" is a very useless and subjective category... And it isn't even true for the songs you mentioned, only Frans' song was played on radio stations in :at:...

Sammy

Veteran
First of all; let me say that every performance is unique in their own way :D Like I’m pretty sure that we’ve never seen anyone using mannequin dolls on stage like Romania this year!

well - DJ Bobo comes to mind.... :mrgreen:

Realest

First of all; let me say that every performance is unique in their own way :D Like I’m pretty sure that we’ve never seen anyone using mannequin dolls on stage like Romania this year! Even though Blance might indirectly have been the first :rolleyes: To be fair, I haven’t heard any of Sweden’s last songs on the radio or anywhere really lol. And this argument that «songs survive outside Eurovision» sounds rather arrogant to me - maybe they do in your world ;)

I believe that Frans, Robin or Benjamin wouldn’t get that much «hate» if they represented another country - I think more people would’ve been utterly positive if they represented a country which hasn’t the same track-record as Sweden in the competition. It’s the same about you and Australia as you’ve confessed multiple times that you dislike their entries because of the country. Sure some ESC fans think the same way about Sweden. Not saying that a majority does hate on Sweden because it’s Sweden, but it definitely exists. Like, I haven’t seen many people raving about the fact that Azerbaijan hires Swedes lately as their results have dropped :rolleyes:

I mean, if you show the performances and songs of Sweden and for example Macedonia to non ESC-fans, more people would’ve preferred Sweden I believe. So you have some good points in your post but then you’re hating on Macedonian entries as well so I find it hard to find any credibility in you :D

Yes, (Nearly) Every Performance is unique, but not every Performance is professional and on VMA-Level like Benjamins. Some People have absolutely no clue, how much hard work is behind the concept, the Implementation and the choreography and especially the interaction of both. Benjamin had the 6th biggest Commercial Success ffrom all songs (behind CY/IL/DE/AT/CZ) so yes, he survived outside Eurovision. In Sweden DYO even got double-platinum shortly after ESC.

And yes, I wrote that Im against Australia, but after Isaiahs unfair Juryresult, it felt me hard to take their Presence seriously. Nomatter how unbiased and Objective I am, I see absolutely nothing that justified 171 Points. Nothing. He scored nearly twice as much as the innovative songs from Ro and Hu together. So I didnt hate Australias Presence without a justified Reason, unlike the Sweden-Hater (Yes, I mean Haters). But I also wrote that I start to accept Australias Participation after their almost Fair Juryresult last year. So Australia gets a fair Chance to become my #1, believe it or not.

Sorry, but I dont hate macedonian Entries principally. If they worked hard and took this contest seriously, I would appreciate it. I liked their 2004-07 Entries and I think 2008 the Televoters were right to qualify them over Sweden (!!). But when I see how much positive Resonance their Flop-Entries get compared to Swedens, I find it simply ridiculous.

Realest

aef pretty much summed it up wonderfully. That you, realest, think that people here hate the country Sweden in ESC is pure nonsense. I hate no country, but just couldn't stand Benjamin's song. This year, for example, I am keeping my fingers crossed for Bergendahl (and hope she has a great song). And just because Benjamin is successful, doesn't mean that his song is good or not. Everyone has his/her taste and we are surely allowed to express our opinions. Sometimes I have the feeling that you are not only addicted to Benjamin, but also allow no other opinions than yours what Benjamin is concerned.

P.S. As for Macedonia, I didn't like the song 2018, but loved the staging. They put a lot of effort in it, so don't tell us they hate Eurovision.

No, I accept other opinions and I can understand if people didnt like DYO, but there is a difference between "Not Liking" and "Hating". And giving 0 for such a professional Entry is pure hate and we all know thatt every other Country would have received it. Its the 3rd Time in a row that Sweden got more 0s than 12s, some people wrote like 10-15 Hate-Comments after Benjamin was chosen (Did you see anyone writing 10-15 Hatecomments about Icelands or Latvias Entry this year?), Benjamin got around 10 Pages full of Schadenfreude-Comments after his TV-Flop in the Opposite to Og3ne, Cesar, Nathan f.e. who benefitted similarly from the Juries, People bash him even months later and want Sweden to fail next year, some people even want Ireland to win next year only to damage Sweden and you still say that there is no Hate against Sweden?
Im not addicted to Benjamin, I just became his Fan, because I responded to his Professionality and Careerpotential, thats all. And btw Im wondering whats so loveable about Macedonias Staging and which Effort you saw in it :D

mauve

Veteran
And btw Im wondering whats so loveable about Macedonias Staging and which Effort you saw in it :D

I have to apologize for one point … I thought you guys were talking about Moldova, not Macedonia. :oops: But as for the rest, I am of the same opinion like before ...

tuorem

I have to apologize for one point … I thought you guys were talking about Moldova, not Macedonia. :oops: But as for the rest, I am of the same opinion like before ...

Thank you for the precision. :D I was about to quote your sentence - which I had to read twice - to ask you :"is there such a thing as liking Eye Cue's staging?" :lol:

Preuss

I agree that Benjamin's staging's spectacular, I really like it :D It's really polished and done to perfection, but I have the impression that those kinds of songs and stagings don't resonate very well with some people around these boards. I mean, I think some people exaggerate it a bit when it comes to Sweden, but I also believe that Kristian and "Beautiful Mess" had a "hard" time after the song was released back in 2017 :) And then we were talking about Bulgaria...

mauve

Veteran
Thank you for the precision. :D I was about to quote your sentence - which I had to read twice - to ask you :"is there such a thing as liking Eye Cue's staging?" :lol:

xrofl3 Yeah, I can see your face … "Macedonia? Really? Is that girl crazy? "

Top Bottom