Contact us

The Overrated and Underrated of 2017

So what do you think are overrated and underrated?

Example below:

Overrated: :se: :au: :it:

Underrated: :hu: :fi: :hr:

NikkiBoy

Overrated: :it:

xqueenbitch

xDEWx

Overrated:

:be: - it will qualify to the final and finish between 10-15 (maybe it will get disqualified before).
:nl: - so dated, it hurts, hopefully stays in semi.
:lv: - she is horrible live, let"s be real.

Underrated:

:au: - probably the best produced ballad this year.
:dk: - very impressive live performance, she will slay.
:at: - this year's dark horse.

a9bb69e87607a259c0c7b2ad62fc6fa1

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
This comes with the disclaimer that what seems to be rated as what is a bit confused this year, so I'll try my best to focus on specific aspects of songs that people are/aren't praising that I'm not seeing as much/seeing more than others.

Overrated
:nl:'s harmonies I'm not as fond of as a lot of people seem to be. With groups like Sugababes, The Supremes, and The Indigo Girls (unfair as it is to force anyone's harmonies to match up to any of theirs), the harmonies give a kind of "wait.....WHAT'S the melody supposed to be?!" rather than what I'm getting from the Dutch song, which is "someone is very loudly singing something which is very clearly not the melody." Maybe it's just the sound mixing and it'll be better come Kyiv.

I don't think :lv: is that innovative. I dunno, there's just kind of a "been there, done that, could go see it at a thousand Electric Daisy Carnivals if that weren't my personal conception of hell" feel for me.

EDIT: :se: is also overrated by being rated at all.

Underrated
I mentioned it in the entry thread, but I think we're collectively missing how gutsy it is to be as camp as Slavko comes off in :me:'s song. There's been a lot of problematic blowback related to its presentation that, as a Ross Matthews incarnate, worries me a bit.

:cz: I reckon suffered a little bit from when it was released. If it'd switched release dates with :ch:, :ge:, :al:, etc. I don't think the reception would be as harsh and believe that a lot of the negative press was ballad fatigue in general rather than a specific dislike for the song.

Somehow, Both
There's a lot of subtlety and finesse* in :hu:'s studio version that hasn't gotten a lot of play. However, the live performance takes all the nuance** away; I'm not really getting what others are getting from it.

* Yes, I know those words are essentially synonyms, and no, I'm not sorry
** YEAH, THAT'S RIGHT. A THIRD WORD THAT MEANS VIRTUALLY THE SAME THING. AND WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO ABOUT IT?

ESC

Overrated: :pl:
Underrated :at:

Kaz

Overrated: :ro::it::cy::uk:
Underrated: :al::no:

LastDreamer

Banned
Overrated : :is: :hu: :it: :fr:
Underrated : :de: :uk:

Chorizo

overrated:
:pt: :au: :se: :by: :fi: :uk: and :de: (because it's not at the very bottom)

underrated:
:no: :ro: :me:

Ezio

Veteran
overrated: :rs: :au: :by: :uk: :ch: :ee:
underrated: :de: :fi: :no:

EscUKFan

Overrated: :pt::pl:
Underrated: :hu::fi:

Franzilein

Overrated: :cy::pl::se:
Underrated: :fi::ch::ie: