Contact us

The Netherlands THE NETHERLANDS 2014 - The Common Linnets - Calm After The Storm

How do you rate the entry?

210 55.3%

33 8.7%

21 5.5%

25 6.6%

19 5.0%

13 3.4%

7 1.8%

12 3.2%

13 3.4%

6 1.6%

21 5.5%

• Total voters

Mlyn

Banned
I think I was in the front nominating the Common Linnets as favourite and dark horse on escunited.

But now the song is overplayed on the radio, I have to change frequencies whenever this song comes up. I like Waylon's new song more now.
According to Wikipedia they were rewarded triple platinum in Holland and gold in Austria for their album, and 3 times gold in Holland. Germany and Austria for the hit single.

Brandt

Calm after the storm was the best song that is sung ever on Eurovision Stage so far. Only if Conchita's LGBT supporter fans didn't take her to victory, this song would take what it deserved, a pure victory. I am also supporter of LGBT rights though, this is just painful to see this one at second place because of an LGBT activist's unnecessary attention act. I have nothing against Conchita. But remember Ukraine in 2007, such entries may take good places. But a victory is just too much for it.

tuorem

Well, I think this entry would have been a much better winner musically speaking, but Conchita was a statement herself, so she got extra attention and given both happened to compete the same year... I won't listen to Walk Along untill the ESC starts, but I hope the Netherlands can come up with something as good as Calm After The Storm.

I'm not particularly fond of country-ish music, but this one was really nice to my ears: plus the outfits, the singers, the staging... everything was well thought and it worked.

Mlyn

Banned
Let's face it, Conchita owned the stage like no one else and made the biggest Eurovision moment. Even more so as she didnt have a commercial song. I dont think she could have won with a commercial Europop song like That's what I am, same message or not. RLAP made her shine and opened hearts that night.

It wouldnt feel right to me if CATS would have won over Conchita, although that song is more commercial and easier to listen to. CATS owned the charts, and Conchita the big stage. That's just right.

Furthermore, I remember very well how Conchita outperformed herself in the Final and gave her best performance, while the Linnets had their best performance already in the semis. Something felt bleak about that song in the final to me.

Both songs beat the generic Swedish schlagersong and horribly sung overhyped Armenian dubstep.

blue00eyes

Furthermore, I remember very well how Conchita outperformed herself in the Final and gave her best performance, while the Linnets had their best performance already in the semis. Something felt bleak about that song in the final to me.
If I remember you wrote after her final performance that she was better in the semi xthink For me Conchita's semifinal performance is way better. She tried too hard in the final.

I think CATS should have won. Conchita had not only the song but also controversal appearance and some statements, which are very popular nowadays. People agreed with the message - that's why she won. Musically they were at the same level.

Oh well, at least The Common Linnets do well in the charts and receive awards.
Conchita should focus on her music career (I really like "Heroes"), she's too much into politics.

Mlyn

Banned
Conchita was very tense in the semis and very relaxed in the final. She didn't care for the victory after the burden of qualifying was released.
But the eye contact was way more intense in the semis and I fell for it. It was like her heart was melting out her eyes. But vocally she was better in the finals.

Still, CATS had more magic in the semis imho.

Kairit

I just basically burst into tears randomly right now when I watched their performance again and heard the song. Even though I watch it quite often. It just brings me back so many memories of last May and last spring. Is it my favourite Eurovision entry ever? Maybe. Probably.. Yeah. There won't ever be something like this anymore and I will remember this one forever. I still listen to it so much (also their album). I don't think I can ever get tired from it. It's just so special and ultimate class. The feeling it creates is almost unfathomable, because it's too good, too special, too sort of.. warm? Too dear to me. I find a lot of comfort and peace in this song when I'm in need of it. Kind of weird I guess, but yeah. I am forever happy this exists.. xheart

hugh

CATS still sounds fresh to me, I must have listened to this song so many times but I still love it, it will always be my favourite from last year. However despite that I'm still glad that Conchita won instead of CATS, Conchita Wurst is inspirational and the "Rise Like A Phoenix" performance was epic.

eugoose

CATS still sounds fresh to me, I must have listened to this song so many times but I still love it, it will always be my favourite from last year. However despite that I'm still glad that Conchita won instead of CATS, Conchita Wurst is inspirational and the "Rise Like A Phoenix" performance was epic.

Really? Conchita's win reminds the world that Eurovision was still the same cheesy kitsch festival and always will be. Yes, I liked the performance, but I don't like how an agenda pushed it to win over the Common Linnets. It's a SONG contest, not 'let's vote for Conchita since she's queen of the gays,' or 'let's vote for Conchita since she's confident enough to do drag.' I hated how people treated Aram Mp3 last year, and it became more about what he said, rather than what he sung (amongst the fans anyways).

zoyuxi

Review/Commentary: I didn't pay much mind to this song earlier, but having decided to take another look at it, and actively listening to it a number of times, I LOVE this. I love a song that breaks my heart in a good way. There's a mix of reflection, anguish, tension, and dilemma. Plus there's a special place in my heart for country music; I don't listen to country as much as I used to, but a great country song is emotionally impactful, is great for storytelling, and sounds down-to-earth.

I love the imagery used in/for this song: the person (both persons?) is driving down the highway; it's both literal and figurative. Many highway drives are lonely, and it can be easy to wander off. They've been through a lot of experiences and been together all this time, but their relationship is strained, and as time moves forward, they wonder where to go next.

Maybe I can find you
Down this broken line
Maybe you can find me
Guess we'll know in time

The two people feel lost from each other, and hope they can find each other down the road. This song tells us a lot about what can happen in long-term relationships: a combination of life happenings & changing priorities, personal differences, and pride (I could say I'm sorry/But I don't wanna lie) all can lead to a weakening of the relationship, if gone unchecked. When people move in different directions, it can be a tug of war.

I just wanna know if staying
Is better than goodbye

As uncertain as staying is, leaving can lead to even more uncertainty. And deep down, they don't want to hurt the other person's feelings. The sense of hope is still there.

I love the instrumental solo at the 2-minute mark. xheart

I'm glad that TCL did very well, and am glad to see the country/folk style represented and be successful in the contest.

blue00eyes

Really? Conchita's win reminds the world that Eurovision was still the same cheesy kitsch festival and always will be. Yes, I liked the performance, but I don't like how an agenda pushed it to win over the Common Linnets. It's a SONG contest, not 'let's vote for Conchita since she's queen of the gays,' or 'let's vote for Conchita since she's confident enough to do drag.' I hated how people treated Aram Mp3 last year, and it became more about what he said, rather than what he sung (amongst the fans anyways).
Thank you for this comment xup Conchita's image and statements were much more important than her song.
The Common Linnets deserved to win, they gave us wonderful gimmickless performance we will never forget. They were classy . :)

Jay25

What I find quite interesting:
This song is STILL quite popular or at least played very regularly in German radio. :eek:

For example, radio station WDR2 plays it almost every two days.
5vGdZyO.png

Top Bottom