Contact us

The Netherlands THE NETHERLANDS 2014 - The Common Linnets - Calm After The Storm

How do you rate the entry?

210 55.3%

33 8.7%

21 5.5%

25 6.6%

19 5.0%

13 3.4%

7 1.8%

12 3.2%

13 3.4%

6 1.6%

21 5.5%

• Total voters

Adeline

So he wants solo career? When he could have a succesful career in Common Linnets he is leaving? :eek: What an egoist

The whole story remains a bit unclear, especially since Ilse doesn't respond to the commotion, but it's a lot more complicated than 'Waylon leaves because of his solo career'.
From the start, The Common Linnets was Ilse's idea and it is made clear that Waylon's contribution would be temporarily. Waylon and Ilse agreed to make one album, go to Eurovision together and give one concert in July (Tuckerville) and that Ilse would continue with different artists after all that. The formation was never going to be permanent and both Waylon and Ilse have solo careers they had to put aside for this experiment. Waylon's solo cd was going to be released anyway and the whole Common Linnets project would end for him with the concert in July.
I think the cause of the problem is that Ilse and Waylon never expected their Eurovision adventure to be this successful and didn't take into account that sometimes things go different than you imagined beforehand. They did not come up with a Plan B in case the whole thing would become huge. Nobody expected that The Common Linnets would be such a huge success worldwide and Waylon couldn't know (having already planned to release a solo cd this year) that this could mean a chance of a worldwide breakthrough. Of course he is not going to leave a project in the wake of international success; nobody would, and it's more complicated than that.
It should be understood that Waylon already had a career as a solo singer and has been around for quite a few years. Over the years he has gathered a team of about 25 people around him. Since The Common Linnets is a project that Ilse started, Waylon's team had no say in anything. Waylon has actually implied that he was more than willing to postpone the release of his solo cd to stick around with TCL longer as long as his team could join the project and he would have an equally large amount of creative freedom. I do not think this is egoistic of him, but rather a reasonable consequence of events. Waylon can't just ignore his team and continue being Ilse's second fiddle for so long since that would be completely unreasonable to his team and himself as an artist.
I understand that Ilse doesn't want to give away something she started in the first place by equally 'sharing' her project with Waylon and that Waylon can't give up on his team and the project (solo cd) he had already planned. I also understand that this was always going to be the plan. However, not only have things changed with this unexpected international success, but the world has come to know them as a duo. People have seen their performance at ESC, their chemistry, heard the blending of their voices. Part of what made Calm after the Storm so popular was their chemistry and their creative cooperation. People hear Waylon on the cd and the songs he co-wrote and the one song he wrote himself. TCL may initially have started as a long-running project with different artists, but right now, in the heat of the moment with a potential international breakthrough Ilse should understand that Waylon is beneficial to this success and has the damn right to benefit from the success of his work. They made this cd together and should at least have continued the tour together to promote what they have produced. Ilse can always contribute with another artist on another cd, but right now they are promoting Ilse's cd with Waylon and Waylon should not only benefit from the success, but Ilse should also realise that this success is not due to her initial idea but to what she has actually produced together with Waylon. People do not want to hear her sing Calm after the Storm with another dude because that was 'part of Ilse's plan'; they love the cd and want to hear both Ilse and Waylon and see their chemistry on stage. Come on; it is barely three weeks after Eurovision! It is far too early to let go of Waylon. Ilse has all the freedom in the world to contribute with other artists as part of her plan, but this is not the time. It would be a sacrifice on her part to allow Waylon's team to temporarily join the club, but I feel it is a sacrifice she should have made.
The real problem seems to be as followed: Waylon's contribution was always planned to be temporarily, but now that TCL turns out to be more successful than they expected both have to make amendments to the original plan in order to harvest this success and launch their international careers. Ilse has to tolerate the influence of Waylon's team within the project and more creative freedom on Waylon's part and Waylon has to postpone his solo career. I sympathize with both of them and understand that it is a difficult situation, but I feel they have to finish what they have started and that it is too early to part ways. Both sides have to make sacrifices and amendments now that everything turned out different than expected.
To be honest, I have slightly more sympathy for Waylon in this case. In order to benefit from this unexpected success, both of them have to give in and reconsider the original plan and I get the impression that Waylon is more willing to do this than Ilse. I understand her position, but I also think she is showing an incredible lack of flexibility.

greece

[MENTION=7088]Adeline[/MENTION]

I'm sure I could understand and with less words :)

Anyway I agree on what you said if this is the occassion. I knew that they made TCL only for Eurovisionbut as you said it is 3 weeks after Eurovision. He could be in Vienna or in the summer tour and the leave it. But ok I take back what I said for him

Adeline

[MENTION=7088]Adeline[/MENTION]

I'm sure I could understand and with less words :)

Anyway I agree on what you said if this is the occassion. I knew that they made TCL only for Eurovisionbut as you said it is 3 weeks after Eurovision. He could be in Vienna or in the summer tour and the leave it. But ok I take back what I said for him

Haha yeah sorry for the length. I can never keep it short. :p

Mozz

Ditto [MENTION=7088]Adeline[/MENTION], and thank you for taking the time to write the lengthy explanation in perfect English of what's happening in the past week.

I just want to add that I wished both sides would not see things in black OR white, or all OR nothing. They could still sit down and talk and make arrangements. About for example, when exactly Waylon will be touring with Ilse, what percentage of the tour he'll be part of, and even if he can perform a few of his OWN songs during TCL tours. Waylon could use TCL as a vehicle to pave his own way toward international fame.

But it's important to point out that Waylon is NOT an egotist. I can completely understand his situation. As a solo artist you naturally strive for recognition for yourself and your own work. He put time, effort and even his own money (he financed it) in his album. He had to postpone the release of it because of the TCL project. If he has to postpone it again because of touring with Ilse, it would also mean that his team (25) will be without a job again. Still, I hope he will try to combine these two things. Touring as a member of TCL, and at the same time working on his solo career and promoting himself as a solo artist. It would a perfect win-win situation.

Mlyn

Banned
omg, Calm after the storm rises in their fourth week from #5 to #2 in :at: :eek:

Whereas Conchita drops from #2 to #3

Mlyn

Banned
Linnets #2
Conchita #4

Skymnos

Hey guys I think is much simpler than that: Waylon is under contractual obligations with other projects related to his solo career.

As previously stated, the Common Linnets were conceived as side project. They probably never dreamt of being so successful and made no medium/long term plans. I'm sure Waylon would be there if he hadnt made prior commitments.

Cheers

Mlyn

Banned
Linnets #2
Conchita #14

Nicfedy

Still being played on BBC radio 2 and heard twice this week in the soap Coronation Street on the pub juke box

JTL90

The Common Linnets is still doing quite well in Austrian and German charts:

Single: 4th in Austria and 10th in Germany
Album: 13th in Austria and 14th in Germany

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Still being played on BBC radio 2 and heard twice this week in the soap Coronation Street on the pub juke box

which episode? I've heard them play COTU a few times as well, they obviously like their eurovision on the cobbles.

JTL90

Last week The Common Linnets announced to go on a European tour this fall. They will visit these places:

5 October: Utrecht, Netherlands (Tivolivredenburg)
8 October: Amsterdam, Netherlands (Paradiso)
9 & 10 October: London, United Kingdom (Bush Hall)
13 October: Brussels, Belgium (AB Box)
14 October: Zürich, Switzerland (Eldorado/Komplex)
15 October: Berlin, Germany (Kesselhaus)
19 October: Munich, Germany (Backstage Werk)
20 October: Vienna, Austria (Wuk)
21 October: Frankfurt am Main, Germany (Gibson)
22 October: Cologne, Germany (Burgerhaus Stollwerck)
23 October: Hamburg, Germany (Gruenspan)
26 October: Groningen, Netherlands (Oosterpoort)
31 October: Nijmegen, Netherlands (De Vereeniging)
2 November: Tilburg, Netherlands (013)

JTL90

More success to the Linnets. Their album reached triple platinum status.

BtnQqpiCUAAZWZi.jpg

Mlyn

Banned
#5 AT singles
#3 AT albums

Top Bottom