10 2.8%

5 1.4%

9 2.5%

12 3.4%

16 4.5%

17 4.8%

• Total voters

musicfan

Anouk was ranked lower in televote at least. Still overrated for me, but as I said I know it is the fashion now for people to idolize smooth vocals that people find relaxing. I just like music that engages me more than is just like a lullaby. Birgit had way more charisma than Anouk but I guess her song isn't thought as fashionable, which is a shame as I thought it was better.

The balls in the Russian one I would guess represent wholeness, reflecting the circles on the stage. When they are thrown to the audience they connect the perfomers to the stage, the lights come on, and the theme of oneness/completeness is again reflected. Though I just like the melody, the annoyance that some have with the theme of the song just seems to be as it represents the Russian broadcaster who entered it. I don't care where it is from, the music sounds good to me. The fact that Swedes apparently wrote it though completely undermines the anti-Russian position of some lol. Though Dina brings some typical Russian sadness to her vocal.

Celia

The "you don't like a song because it comes from "x" country" thing is absolutely ridiculous xfacepalm for instance I don't like :ru: this year because the lyrics are puke rainbows style and the whole thing sounds like a hundred former songs. I like Dina's voice though.
Birds on the other hand is original and dramatical by keeping it simple (and that's why so many people liked it xqueenbitch) We won't change your mind about it, but you won't convince us either :lol:
And Anouk and her vocals aren't always precisely smooth and relaxing. She can rock as well :cool:

musicfan

The "you don't like a song because it comes from "x" country" thing is absolutely ridiculous

Not really, because I hear things like that on the internet. Some people were complaining about the lyrics and that it seemed to have a message and it came from Russia and that they always qualify. And your opinion doesn't represent what every other person thinks. I also heard some people saying they really wanted Anouk to do well just because the Dutch broadcaster's song hadn't qualified for the final for so long. So some people (I never said all, and I never said you) do think like that.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Anouk was ranked lower in televote at least. Still overrated for me, but as I said I know it is the fashion now for people to idolize smooth vocals that people find relaxing. I just like music that engages me more than is just like a lullaby. Birgit had way more charisma than Anouk but I guess her song isn't thought as fashionable, which is a shame as I thought it was better.

The balls in the Russian one I would guess represent wholeness, reflecting the circles on the stage. When they are thrown to the audience they connect the perfomers to the stage, the lights come on, and the theme of oneness/completeness is again reflected. Though I just like the melody, the annoyance that some have with the theme of the song just seems to be as it represents the Russian broadcaster who entered it. I don't care where it is from, the music sounds good to me. The fact that Swedes apparently wrote it though completely undermines the anti-Russian position of some lol. Though Dina brings some typical Russian sadness to her vocal.

Is it? All I see today are people idolising diva's warbling up and down. That seems the fashion, at least in the mainstream world. If Anouk's style of singing was some kind of fashion, wouldn't she have scored higher with the tele vote? All types of music can be engaging, even the mellow stuff. Everyone is different though. Stuff like Russia and Georgia this year bore me to tears. I find those songs to be quite musically insulting but then there are people that enjoy them. The one thing Anouk's song had though was a dash of originality. The song had a peculiar melody, so not right to my ears at first that it took me a while to get it. She dared to do something that wasn't exactly the norm. Dina's song on the other hand.. it was like as if they tried to cram as many Eurovision cliches into it as possible. Estonia's song, although quite "dated" had a real warmth to it. The heart shone through. By comparison Russia's song was as cold as ice to me.

joyster

Not really, because I hear things like that on the internet. Some people were complaining about the lyrics and that it seemed to have a message and it came from Russia and that they always qualify. And your opinion doesn't represent what every other person thinks. I also heard some people saying they really wanted Anouk to do well just because the Dutch broadcaster's song hadn't qualified for the final for so long. So some people (I never said all, and I never said you) do think like that.

That people wants the netherlands to do well, has nothing to do with the fact Anouk qualified!!!
I hear that for a couple of years now, it didn't helped Joan and the 3J's did it?
She qualified because the song deserved it, nothing more and nothing less. that you don't like it ok, but a lot of people do like it very much and thats why it qualified, and the fact that it just was not one in a dozen song did help her with that I think! Well and her singing voice helped her also, she has a unique sound to her voice she is borned with. The combination from song and voice a a little touch of her personality on stage get her into the finale, and not the fact she is a dutch person and the netherlands failed many years to qualify, you live in a bubble if you really think that is true!

musicfan

Is it? All I see today are people idolising diva's warbling up and down. That seems the fashion, at least in the mainstream world. If Anouk's style of singing was some kind of fashion, wouldn't she have scored higher with the tele vote? All types of music can be engaging, even the mellow stuff. Everyone is different though. Stuff like Russia and Georgia this year bore me to tears. I find those songs to be quite musically insulting but then there are people that enjoy them. The one thing Anouk's song had though was a dash of originality. The song had a peculiar melody, so not right to my ears at first that it took me a while to get it. She dared to do something that wasn't exactly the norm. Dina's song on the other hand.. it was like as if they tried to cram as many Eurovision cliches into it as possible. Estonia's song, although quite "dated" had a real warmth to it. The heart shone through. By comparison Russia's song was as cold as ice to me.

Well maybe the mainstream goes beyond just stuff in the charts now, and is about indie mainstream as well. Georgia's song was quite generic, I wouldn't compare it to the Russian one, the chorus being pretty static rather than unfolding like Dina's song. The Anouk song didn't have anything that unusual in the music to me, I thought it was just a very simple waltz tune.

musicfan

That people wants the netherlands to do well, has nothing to do with the fact Anouk qualified!!!
I hear that for a couple of years now, it didn't helped Joan and the 3J's did it?
She qualified because the song deserved it, nothing more and nothing less. that you don't like it ok, but a lot of people do like it very much and thats why it qualified, and the fact that it just was not one in a dozen song did help her with that I think! Well and her singing voice helped her also, she has a unique sound to her voice she is borned with. The combination from song and voice a a little touch of her personality on stage get her into the finale, and not the fact she is a dutch person and the netherlands failed many years to qualify, you live in a bubble if you really think that is true!

I never specifically said it helped her qualify that's your addition, but it obviously gave her more support on forums (some people even admitted it on the internet). And as I said before I understand some people like this kind of song now, but I don't really think it's that original it's simply seen as being more fashionable. And fashions come and go.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Well maybe the mainstream goes beyond just stuff in the charts now, and is about indie mainstream as well. Georgia's song was quite generic, I wouldn't compare it to the Russian one, the chorus being pretty static rather than unfolding like Dina's song. The Anouk song didn't have anything that unusual in the music to me, I thought it was just a very simple waltz tune.

Well "Birds" wouldn't fall under Indie. If the song were to be categorised, it would probably fall under Baroque pop.. which has never particularly been a popular genre but it's something well respected and a genre many people find and fall in love with.

I really feel strong similarity between the Russian and Georgian songs. Both extremely generic ballads with glossy production. Both filled to the brim with cliches. Anouk's song was simple indeed, very simple. Had dark undercurrents to it though, the way she sings parts of it clashes in a very weird, unsettling way with the melody.

joyster

I never specifically said it helped her qualify that's your addition, but it obviously gave her more support on forums (some people even admitted it on the internet). And as I said before I understand some people like this kind of song now, but I don't really think it's that original it's simply seen as being more fashionable. And fashions come and go.

Well its nice to hear that people support Anouk as you say:)
Without support an artist is nowhere you know.
Fashion or not....Anouk is going to stay, her next album is on his way, and I can't wait to hear it ;)

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Well its nice to hear that people support Anouk as you say:)
Without support an artist is nowhere you know.
Fashion or not....Anouk is going to stay, her next album is on his way, and I can't wait to hear it ;)

I'll certainly anticipate new music from her. I've got all her old stuff to discover first though:)

Her latest album is fantastic. It gives me a similar vibe to one of my favourite Marianne Faithfull albums "A Secret Life". Different kind of music and voice but a similar quite theatrical in places feel, what with the spoken word parts etc. Anouk's album is very mystical and beautiful. I at first found "Birds" quite depressing on it's own. It's fits wonderfully in the album though. I've got to say it's one of the most cleverly crafted albums i've heard in a while. Every song leads seamlessly onto the next, usually in a very creative way. Rather than just being 10 songs thrown together, the album feels like one big picture thats being painted. Tis wonderfulxbow

musicfan

Well "Birds" wouldn't fall under Indie. If the song were to be categorised, it would probably fall under Baroque pop.. which has never particularly been a popular genre but it's something well respected and a genre many people find and fall in love with.

I really feel strong similarity between the Russian and Georgian songs. Both extremely generic ballads with glossy production.

Indie tends to be an umbrella term now for all kinds of stuff really. I think the Georgian song had a much more glossy production, whereas the Russian one depended more on its melody.

katapult

She's fantastic, definitely a highlight in this year's competition for me. A true artist. xlove

Her album, it's just...:eek: woah, wow...I can't get enough of it, atm.
She was one of the coolest (females) this year, imo.

[And yet not a single point from Germany for Anouk...I was so gutted about this! xfacepalm]

But hey, she's a smart woman - she doesn't need Eurovision to shine. She does quality music. :)

joyster

sad singalong songs FULL album songs!!!

© Goldilox Music, Universal Music -
A. Teeuwe, T. Johansson, M. Gjerstad
Tracklist:
1. The Rules
2. Pretending As Always (3m57)
3. Birds (7m46)
4. The Good Life (11m10)
5. Are You Lonely (14m41)
6. Stardust (18m09)
7. Only A Mother (21m40)
8. Kill (25m36)
9. I Don't Know Nothing (29m50)
10. The Black Side Of My Mind (33m22)

evija87

It will be released next week in Poland! On 18th :D There was an enthusiastic review in Polish press, with 5 stars (maximum) and question "The best song of the year?"
I'm so happy :) Can't wait to buy it! Hope many people will do the same.

Top Bottom