18 4.9%

15 4.1%

19 5.2%

12 3.3%

14 3.8%

40 10.9%

• Total voters

CPV4931

I don´t get, why the Netherlands didn´t reach the final this year.
It was a good song, different from the rest and a great performance and I thought you could qualify.

CC92

Thankfully! Well, for me it easily explained.

* country/folk genre does not work in ESC, especially with the countries voting in that semi-final. A few years ago Texas Lightning had a much better song (really good one imho) of this sort, and still collected only few points.
* melody was too childish.
* Joan Franka's nasal-shrill voice takes some getting used to. And honestly, she was out of tune for too long.
* then some bad luck (allocation draw, early start) but I do not think either of this was the crucial factor.

Next year something in Dutch again. :D

94ayd

The staging was all wrong (just like :bg:) but Joan was so charming, I couldn't resist giving her a vote. :)

Synergise

On another forum, there is a thread where people tally the votes they actually cast. Here are the current results from UK voting.

Serbia 0
Macedonia 4
Netherlands 97
Malta 14
Belarus 3
Portugal 9
Ukraine 8
Bulgaria 10
Slovenia 14
Croatia 1
Sweden 33
Georgia 0
Turkey 0
Estonia 2
Slovakia 6
Norway 3
Bosnia and Herzegovina 1
Lithuania 0

Told you Joan was popular here. We have large Turkish and Lithuanian diasporas that aren't reflected in this voting, but still, massive Joan proportion so far.

LakZaNokte

I'm sorry but I have to blame this on the feathers.
I was actually thinking if I should write this at all and here I am so...

on our forum, every1 commented on the feathers. almost no comments on the song. earlier today, my friend asked me "what do u think about the lady with the feathers?". also, no comment on the song from her. we talked about the feathers (I explained why are they there) and she was like "ooooh. I didn't get it".

I know it's rather lame to explain these things now and it all may annoy you all but I just wanted you to know that it wasn't song's fault. or even Franka's fault. maybe it would have been better if she removed them from the act once it was clear that video with kids won't be in the background. this way, as it seems, they just distracted people.

Mozz

Good morning...
Well, today is the 'day after' what the Dutch Eurovision fans have witnessed since 2004 :(.....
But I'm still alive, people are still on the streets outside and today is another beautiful summer day. And I'm already looking forward to the Grand Final on Saturday night.

Oh, I forgot:

Thank you for your support!

and Thank you to all those who voted for Joan last night!

It really feels good to know that so many people in in Europe like our entry this year, even though we couldn't make it to the final. I assume that The Netherlands will just keep on trying (stubborn as we are :p).

Sean

Admin
Staff member
I'm sorry but I have to blame this on the feathers.
I was actually thinking if I should write this at all and here I am so...

on our forum, every1 commented on the feathers. almost no comments on the song. earlier today, my friend asked me "what do u think about the lady with the feathers?". also, no comment on the song from her. we talked about the feathers (I explained why are they there) and she was like "ooooh. I didn't get it".

I know it's rather lame to explain these things now and it all may annoy you all but I just wanted you to know that it wasn't song's fault. or even Franka's fault. maybe it would have been better if she removed them from the act once it was clear that video with kids won't be in the background. this way, as it seems, they just distracted people.

Only because the commentator in your country probably didn't explain the backstory. Scott Mills explained the meaning behind the head-dress in the UK so there was no mistake.

Why do you think a song like Iceland 2011 managed to qualify?

Mozz

Well, the problem is: we will never know. It was a tricky decision, and I have to applaud Joan and the team for making such a gutsy decision. Was it a wise decision?

That's up for discussion and it is being discussed by many Dutch Eurovision fans. My personal take: chances at success would've been slighty higher if without the hairdress. Just slightly. But still we will never know if she would've qualified without the hairdress.

dezbee2008

I'm sad to see that the Netherlands is out of the final for the 8th year in a row. :( Good luck next year. :)

LakZaNokte

Only because the commentator in your country probably didn't explain the backstory. Scott Mills explained the meaning behind the head-dress in the UK so there was no mistake.

Why do you think a song like Iceland 2011 managed to qualify?
tbh, I have no idea if he explained the backstory cause i really don't listen to him (I rather write smth on forum :D) but it is possible he didn't. it would be interesting to find out how many of them exactly did :confused:

and that's why it's tricky so have such entries, that need explanation. you can't count on commentators to say it and on ppl to listen to the commentator at all xshrug

gustav

I'm very curious how this would have sounded without the feathers. I guess we'll never know.

Chantal7

Back from vacation, seen semi 2 in Spain. Joan was most out of tune, very pity :( The first rehearsals were OK but from the dressrehearsals her voice was getting more and more worse.

Chantal7

Apart from that, Netherlands is not a very populair country to vote on. We dont have a fan base like Russia, Serbia, Norway, Sweden, etc etc. So i think we start with a 1-0 behind if i talk in soccerterms. We really must send something good like Sweden this year to say we can qualify for sure. OK performances are not enough, then we can better stay home. Quality above quantity.

Chantal7

15th place in semi 2. And after see how many neightbourvoting there was in the final I think we seriously must think over about participating next year(s).

Mozz

The Netherlands
Points received in semi 2:

Estonia gave 7
Germany gave 8
Lithuania gave 3
Norway gave 3
Slovenia gave 2
Sweden gave 1
Turkey gave 7
UK gave 4

Total 35 points = 15th place out of 18.

We received the most points from Germany (8), Turkey (7) and Estonia (7).

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
Germany gave more points than any other country to the Netherlands. I'm really proud to be German right now :D

Top Bottom