Contact us

The most ethnically diverse Eurovision yet!

DenizESC

Banned
What do you want me to say LastDreamer? That only white people can be 1st class citizens in Europe? That black people and other ethnically non-Europeans shouldn't ever be represented. I'm glad you're up there somewhere in Siberia in your bubble and nowhere near me with that racist attitude tbh. Also I'm sure you really must struggle with the way too overwhelming black representation in Russia (X_X), boohoo poor you 😰

You liked K3 and my post on them maybe you should listen to their lyrics a little bit and find some soul lmao:
English lyrics:

To everyone else: follow queens K3, they ended racism a long time ago

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
I think it's something more understandable when you're out of the European bubble.

In over 60 years of Eurovision, only two Brazilian-born ladies competed in the show. And I wasn't even born when one of them was selected. You couldn't tell how excited I was when Laura won because it was the first time I could see what "rooting for your country" is.

There was a comment in Israel's thread about Feker Libi and Rakata that made me so emotional. It might sound like it's nothing, but you feel like you belong there, that the contest is also for you and it may even be an achievable dream to take part someday.

It is really important to us.

Mainshow

Veteran
I can't believe people are actually trying to form an opposition to this positive thread (it being urgent was unnecessary though) like I can tell some are feeling threatened the 'whites' will be out of fashion from now on LMAO y'all crazy. Some of these countries literally have like 10-30% ethnic minorities that almost never get represented anywhere ever in the media or anywhere else. I like to see an ethnic contest like this one showing us finally that you don't need to be white to be a 1st class citizen of a European country 👍

Representation is key, especially for young kids growing up.

Representation is indeed the key but this has always been the case in Eurovison. We had people of coloue before, they even won Eurovision.

I just don't like the concept od this thread. No ethnicity is more valuable than another one. We are all equal. The Eurovision Song Contest has always been ethnically diverse. We've had 4 or 5 people of colour representing countries in a single year before. It's not a new phenomenon.
What's the point of celebrating it now and present "black people as something new, extra-ordinary kind of people which needs highlighting and saying that" their ethnicities" are more diverse than others?" - No, I detest such belief. We are all equal.
I know that this was not the intention of this thread but it comes across as such + it's simply not true that this year is the most" ethnically diverse" Eurovison based on non-traditionally-European ethnicities".

Daybreak

I'm against this type of diversity.

P.S : You can hate me after it and dislike this post.

I'd rather ask, why exactly? Because in my experience, most racist people usually struggle with actually giving a reason for their racism.

As a sidenote, Russia is a country that really could use more minority representation. Lots of people forget that modern Russia takes up basically all of northern Asia, and so there are loads of different ethnic groups that aren't Slavic - Turkic peoples, Caucasian peoples, Asians, and also all other Finno-Ugric groups besides Estonians, Finns and Hungarians - for example, the Buranovskye Babushki were apparently Udmurt.

Mainshow

Veteran
I think it's something more understandable when you're out of the European bubble.

In over 60 years of Eurovision, only two Brazilian-born ladies competed in the show. And I wasn't even born when one of them was selected. You couldn't tell how excited I was when Laura won because it was the first time I could see what "rooting for your country" is.

There was a comment in Israel's thread about Feker Libi and Rakata that made me so emotional. It might sound like it's nothing, but you feel like you belong there, that the contest is also for you and it may even be an achievable dream to take part someday.

It is really important to us.

Yours and the poster's comment in Israel's thread are indeed important and beautiful.

Eurovision is a place for everyone.

I just don't like the idea of "hoping for more people of colour in order to make it more ethnically diverse". We are talking about people who have been part of our community for so long. They shouldn't be "there to make you feel better".
And it doesn't make sense, because if you add a different ethnicity, you will "lose" another one (it's a neutral sentence, I just speak about mathematics) and that's why I believe that Eurovision has always been ethnically diverse.

Mainshow

Veteran
Speaking of representation, I have always thought that my country did a good job so far in terms of representation but I would love to get a Sorbian or Frisian entry someday. These minorities have always been overlooked.

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
Yours and the poster's comment in Israel's thread are indeed important and beautiful.

Eurovision is a place for everyone.

I just don't like the idea of "hoping for more people of colour in order to make it more ethnically diverse". We are talking about people who have been part of our community for so long. They shouldn't be "there to make you feel better".
And it doesn't make sense, because if you add a different ethnicity, you will "lose" another one (it's a neutral sentence, I just speak about mathematics) and that's why I believe that Eurovision has always been ethnically diverse.
maybe it's just the wording that was not the best here.

i mean i get your point but there something on your response to deniz that i disagree. yeah we are all equal. in theory. however, it's not what happens in reality. some people don't see poc as equal and are open about their racist hate (as it is shown in this topic). hayashi's post about benny is another example, as he is being criticized by """not being czech""" while he is... czech. and i've already seen comments about missing the times when "real europeans" competed.

Eurovision is a place for everyone but unfortunately not everyone accepts it.

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
now there is something i agree with you which is about ethnicities being overlooked.

some countries coughrussiacough have a huge amount of ethnic groups yet they are not seen as much as representatives. they should also get this chance. it seems that jesc is doing a better job at this tho

DenizESC

Banned
Sis @anaraqueen I was literally about the respond something similar, basically the same thing bless but you were faster.

In an ideal world I see no colors either, as a kid I sure didn't. But also growing up in a place that's so diverse, it changes ones perspective completely. I grew up with black people, asian people, Ahmad's, Muhammads etc. and we currently don't live in a world that sees no colors clearly as this thread also shows us. Heck a close friend of mine is a 'Hamza' of Pakistani origin and he decided to put "I'm not a muslim" in his CV so he can finally maybe get some jobs (we do live in a bad area) and trust me he is highly qualified to do everything and anything.

That's why I'm so happy seeing a Mahmood or Bilal doing so well in Eurovision. And about black people/asian people and being represented well enough, yes guys this is not the United States where race is everything and in Europe we have come VERY far with acceptance (well Western Europe anyway) but I hope y'all look at this video and watch it completely to see what a dominantly 'white' media, a world where the white people are only shown in a positive light can do to a childs brain, this still goes everywhere ofc in Western-Europe in a lesser extent nowadays:
The most heartbreaking one is the little one in blue, clearly you can tell he started off by wanting to root for the doll of his own colour but as he got asked more he started to think. Just goes to show children arent born with/it isnt instinct. It's well ingrained into their brains still though after some point.

That is where colorism is born.

Last edited:

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
I'm against this type of diversity.

P.S : You can hate me after it and dislike this post.

Can you elaborate further? Reading something like this is really disappointing :( I know you have your blonde preference and that's fine (and should in theory be harmless) but Eurovision is everyone's contest. It was made to bring us together after the second world war, and many people of all different skin tones, shapes and sizes call Europe their home. Why are you angry at people's comments here? We don't pick the colour of our skin and we all deserve to be treated equally no matter our gender, sexuality or ethnicity.

I'm part of a minority myself and personally I don't feel a need to see myself represented at the contest, especially when a whole vocal spectacle comes along with it (the way they are marketing Ireland this year as an LGBT entry for instance bugs me somewhat) but then when I see comments from a friend like Ana about what seeing a singer from Brazil at the contest meant to her, that can only be a good thing and nothing else.

So long as we all have equal opportunities in life, that's all that should matter. Everyone should have their fair chance to represent their country at Eurovision.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
You liked K3 and my post on them maybe you should listen to their lyrics a little bit and find some soul lmao:
English lyrics:

To everyone else: follow queens K3, they ended racism a long time ago

Oh god Deniz, you have no idea. That song was my CHILDHOOD. One of my fondest memories was ten-year-old me dancing out the choreography for our school play xheart

As for my opinion on Dreamer... well I've made it clear for weeks what I think no need to bring it up again. (Although Rainywoods should probably stop enabling him at every turn. Like. Give it up mate. Sometimes the curtains are just blue.)

Anyway, the topic.

Yeah, I noticed the ethnic diversity too. Like a few weeks back almost half of the selected acts were people of colour. I don't think the percentage has been that high ever?

Personally though, I don't really care about race or ethnicity. Like, the most important things ultimately are the songs and how they are being brought by their performers. Skin colour does not affect a person's charisma for me; nor their ability to sing, emulate emotion and radiate personality. Even then, the melody of the song remains the most important thing for me. I LOVED Fo Sho's energy, but "Blck Sqr" is virtually unlistenable to me.

I just hope none of the talented people of colour in this competition are screwed over by something as insignificant as the colour of their skin.

Mainshow

Veteran
And i've already seen comments about missing the times when "real europeans" competed.

This disgusting and racist statement really made me sick to my stomach. I can't believe people actually think that way.

DenizESC

Banned
@BorisBubbles YAASSSS QUEEN. Ofc in NL they were pretty much as popular and that song I mean it's still famous af. K3 = queens of Benelux and ofc the stans and babies like us can't into racism ever. I MEAN KAREN, KRISTEL AND KATHLEEN DIDN'T RAISE US LIKE THAT xheat 🔥

On Rainy I love him and know that he is the FURTHEST thing a human can be from a racist or being 'not tolerant'. But yes we and Ana (and DaFlo too) also privately spoke about this enabling. The Nazi-beauty standard he has is not even 1% of what we see here. We did warn him and tell him how we thought but he didn't seem to really believe it. I guess people that witnessed or seen racism (from this point of view) can recognize one from miiiles away. Don't blame Kai, he just wants to see the good in people and I never want that to change for him. This can be a lesson to all of us, sometimes it's good to listen to your instinct and don't let it come to a point where it is just blatant racism in words. It's not Kai's fault that guy is a douche, online its hard to judge the real intentions of people sometimes.

What's even crazier is how this guy doesn't even try to deny the accusations on our posts and instead throws even more hate by reacting with an 'angry' emoji on posts like: me sending a song about all human beings equal regardless of being LIGHTER OR DARKER or me sending a video about children with self-hate issues, CHILDREN. His behaviour borders sociopathic tbh.

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
This disgusting and racist statement really made me sick to my stomach. I can't believe people actually think that way.
It felt like a punch in my face when I read that. I'm not an immigrant, but I have got family and friends who moved all the way from Brazil to Europe so I take these kind of comments against them very personally.

opinionsigotem

Diversity of any kind can only be a good thing for the contest and I don't understand why people are trying to argue otherwise? Fair (not equal, but fair) representation of and zero discrimination based on ethnicity, age, gender, ability (and here's where I'd add I've never been more viscerally appalled at Eurovision social media comments than when PKN and Shalva Band took the stage like... good grief) across selection processes should be encouraged.

I don't want to dive into racism too deeply because I have no personal experience of it, but I do recall the HORRENDOUS racist abuse Dami Im got from large groups of Australians when she was chosen ("She's not Australian", "she should fuck off to Koreavision" etc.). The vindication she must have felt when she rose to the top of the tree; she showed the world not only that she was valid, but that she was damn good.

Alaska49

a) i wholeheartedly disagree with @Mainshow's opinion that "adding one ethnicity removes another" as if all ethnicities are made equal. they aren't. being not white is an entirely different and harder existence than being white and non-white representation in media is so scarce in comparison, every time non-white people advance in predominantly white spaces should be celebrated as diversity indeed. this includes eurovision. "we are all equal" is a nice, well-intentioned feeling to have, but the real world isn't equal to all of us.

b) @LastDreamer's attitude towards non-white people has always been obvious and deplorable and it is actually sort of amusing that @RainyWoods seems surprised by it. it's been like this the entire time, you guys. i just thought rainy, as he does, was trying to see the best in people - to an extent that went against anyone but LD's interest.

this is all i have to say --iva

Mainshow

Veteran
Again, the thread was made because of "a more ethnically diverse" Eurovision.

Since we aren't racist: All ethnicities have the same value in terms of quantity.
If 40 countries compete, we have at least +- 40 different ethnicities.

How is 2020 when we have 5 artists of African descent more diverse than for example a different year when we had artists of Asian descent? Or other minorities like Turkish German, Romani?

I agree, that some ethnicities unfortunately and sadly and unfairly suffer from prejudice, disadvantages and racism but Eurovision has always been equally ethnically diverse. I think it's very misleading to focus on people of colour of African descent only when we already had artists like UK 2009, Estonia 2001, Sweden 2002, Germany 2008, Sweden 2012, Russia 2012, Turkey 2012, Norway 2019 or that Armenian super group back in 2015.

Its true we have a better representation of black communities/people this year but whem it comes to diversity in terms of ethnicities, it's the same like any other year.

Gabe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Again, the thread was made because of "a more ethnically diverse" Eurovision.

Since we aren't racist: All ethnicities have the same value in terms of quantity.
If 40 countries compete, we have at least +- 40 different ethnicities.

This is a deliberate misunderstanding of what the OP meant. I think OP was referring specifically to increased black and brown representation in Eurovision.

Now, mod hat on:

-----------------------------

POLITICAL DISCUSSION IS NEVER ALLOWED OUTSIDE OF THE POLITICAL FORUM. This thread is straying dangerously close to that (and I'm being lenient by not already deleting some posts). Take it to the politics forum, or stay away from the subject altogether.

Top Bottom