Contact us

The most ethnically diverse Eurovision yet!

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
yes

Uto

Veteran
100 % agree.

It's very unpopular opinion, there are not many people who will understand and support your point of view.
You’ll find that this is the majority opinion. Unpopular isn’t the right word. Dissenters tend to be much more vocal though.

A-lister

Veteran
Even more black performers now, with Sweden and San Marino! What can we make of this, and how is it going to turn out.... maybe they will all do poorly, because they kind of cancel each other out :LOL:

This comment is just... wrong...

A-lister

Veteran
I dont care if the artist of a country is white, black, yellow or green as long as he or she has grown up in the country he is representing or have lived there for a longer while. That's why I dont support our (Germanys) choice this year. I think it is pathetic we as a country of 80 million have chosen a singer whose only connection to the country is basically a participation in The Voice. But that's an entirely different topic.

Having POCs in Eurovision is a good thing cause it transports the message, that everybody who is talented and hard-working has the chance to enter the big stages of the world regardless of their skin colour. However, I just hope people dont start chosing POC artists because of their race and regardless of their music as this would be racism too, just in a different way. People and juries who are giving their votes in NFs and the main contest should still focus on composition and voice mainly, and the look of the singers shouldnt play a role at all. Don't get me wrong, I dont believe people are actually voting for POC for "empowerment" reasons but then again I dont get why for example The Mamas win the MF and according to the votings in the thread, the most people in this forum can't understand it either.

This xclap

As I wrote previously, we have to look past race and ethnicity, and focus on what's important here, the music!... with that said it doesn't mean that having representation of people with different ethnic backgrounds is a bad thing (of course it's always good with diversity!), but the merit should be the song, and "quotas" and "positive discrimination" is, actually, a form of racism... unintentionally sure... but when for instance a jury or a broadcaster push for entries based on the ethnicity of the singer, rather than the song/entry itself, it's just as bad as when they for instance push for an "LGBT-themed" entry (hello Ireland !) instead of just letting the song and talent speak for itself without having some sort of "agenda" to push (hello Duncan, proper representation of our community!). It's important that minorities, whether ethnic or sexual orientation, gets represented on the same terms, and not as bricks so someone else (mostly straight white politically left-liberal-leaning persons/groups) can feel good about themselves.

And yeah, I never liked the "import an act" from abroad thing, I couldn't care less about the skin color of my country's representative, and I don't care where they were born or originate from, but if their base isn't here, or if they have little to no connection to the country, it just feels like an artificial representation. I mean sure, a micro state like San Marino can get a free-pass here considering their special "situation", but this excuse can't be used for most other countries and it sorta undermines Eurovision as a concept imho.

Last edited:

jatojo

I like the diversity in terms of *genres* this year. However, I miss songs with pure ethnic elements. Ukraine is the only "real" ethnic song, as far as I can tell. Israel to some extent, too. (If The Mamas had represented the USA, they would have counted as ethnic as well, but as we know, it's Sweden's entry - lol.)

There is no doubt that the use of international teams of composers is bad for the ethnic diversity in the songs. I also see a trend towards picking contemporary songs and less risky songs - this is bad for the cultural diversity in Eurovision.

Top Bottom