Contact us

Yorkshire & The Humber

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
Re: YORKSHIRE: WV109: Angela Morley - "Rotten Row"

WV109: Angela Morley - "Rotten Row"

So I've had a very busy three weeks with my beloved Calvin, so didn't get round to posting this in time! Thus, please excuse the fact I am posting my entry after it's already missed the final :p

The first time I heard Angela Morley's music was probably about two decades ago, but I didn't know the full story behind the composer until a lot more recently! She was born Wally Stott in Leeds and made her name as a composer of radio themes during the 1950s, her most famous work (and the one I knew!) being that from Hancock's Half Hour. She also worked with Shirley Bassey for a time, as well as Dusty Springfield. She has a small ESC connection, arranging our 1962 and 1963 entries, as well as conducting the orchestra in 1962.

She underwent a sex change in 1972 and worked on the music for "The Little Prince" in 1974 and "The Slipper and the Rose" in 1976. She received Oscar nominations for both, becoming the first openly transgender nominee in the history of the Oscars. She also delivered the music for "Watership Down" in 1978, writing it in about three weeks after the Master of the Queen's Music failed to deliver. During the 1980s, she did a lot of musical arrangements for TV shows, winning multiple Emmys for doing so.

She died in 2009 in Scottsdale, Arizona. I find it kinda fascinating that someone with such a varied life was born so close to my hometown and died so close to where Calvin currently works! Funny how life throws up these coincidences sometimes! Hope that you enjoyed this brief snapshot into her work and enjoyed this very brief bio of her life :) I'm sorry that I didn't get this up in time for the semis, as it's a story worth telling!

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
Re: YORKSHIRE: WV110: John Barry - Enigma Theme

WV110: John Barry - Enigma Theme

So for the edition, we are going back to the movies! John Barry is a York-born composer who is best known for his work on 11 Bond films. Enigma was the final film for which he did the score - the last in his 41 year career of composing film music! He also did the score for a number of other films including The Lion in Winter, Dances with Wolves and Out of Africa. He's another Yorkshire artist done good and I am proud to share some of his work with you all! :D

Also, quick announcement, there will be an NF for next edition :D I had never heard of the duet I am going to introduce y'all to this time last week, but they came to my attention in quite a dramatic way so I am excited to share them with y'all soon xlove

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
Re: YORKSHIRE: WV112 and Plans

*coughs loudly*
*blows dust off chairs*
*has coughing fit*

I'm baaaaaacccccckkk! So I've had some time out to have a think about things and I have decided that it's time for a Royal Progress! Yes, after a few more editions in Yorkshire, I have decided to go around every one of the EU Parliamentary constituencies of the UK and send some marvellous entries from each :D I have some ideas for most, but certainly am nowhere near fully ready for this, so I am excited to delve a little deeper into the music of my homeland to see what new (at least to me!) gems I can uncover. I've already been in :lond:, ::seen and :wale:, so I might end up skipping those, but I probably won't tbh :p Hope you're ready to join me on the Progress! xcheer

And for WV112, well I am SPOILT for choice in truth! There will be an NF for WV113, but I am trying to decide between about four things for this upcoming edition. A new discovery? A rediscovered favourite? A classic I've known since I was 4? A crazy parody? So much choice! You'll find out soon which way I went :D

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
Re: YORKSHIRE: WV112 and Plans

I am trying to decide between about four things for this upcoming edition. A new discovery? A rediscovered favourite? A classic I've known since I was 4? A crazy parody? So much choice! You'll find out soon which way I went :D

Yeah, so I went for my fifth choice out of those four as something came up and I decided that the stars were aligning too well to do otherwise :p Seems that my Royal Progress may wait a little as there's still so much Yorkshire to share :D

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
Re: YORKSHIRE: WV112: Kaiser Chiefs - People Know How To Love One Another

WV112: Kaiser Chiefs "People Know How To Love One Another"

So I had a LOT of different ideas bouncing around my head for my "comeback" (can you have a comeback after a one edition break?!) and then I heard that this had come out and the others went out of my head :lol: My first returning Yorkshire artist and I know it's not been ages since I last sent them, but I thought I would experiment with this whole "sending new releases" malarkey that a lot of people do! So yes, this has been out for a couple of months, so I'm pretty sure it's my newest entry ever!! Hope you enjoy the happy and upbeat tone that this brings to the party :D

Also, there WILL be an NF next edition, I promise :D

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
Re: YORKSHIRE: WV113: O'Hooley & Tiddow National Final

Hmm, so people don't like some new releases after all ;) But without further ado, let's have a...

WV113 YORKSHIRE NATIONAL FINAL - O'HOOLEY & TIDOW

So your first reaction is almost certainly "who???" :p Well, that would have been mine a few months ago too! I happened upon them, like a lot of people in the UK, thanks to the BBC's "Gentleman Jack" - an exciting drama based on the life of a 19th Century Yorkshire Lesbian called Anne Lister. I can very very highly recommend this if you can get hold of it - certainly well worth a watch! But anyway, the closing theme was quite the stellar piece, so I had a look to see who it's by... Two Yorkshire lesbians! Here they are talking about their song for Gentleman Jack:

But onto the songs - I have chosen three from their repertoire :)

Summat's Brewin'
Yorkshire, as with much of the UK, has seen a real rise in craft brewing over the last 10-15 years and so the NF opens with a song celebrating this! I am not a beer drinker, but the video shows the life of the beer from the brewing to the consumption thereof and there's a brief shoutout to Ilkley as well! Gorgeous Yorkshire scenery there too and the song itself has an entrancing beat that drags you along to a beer filled fling!

Beryl
[MENTION=12510]esc87fan[/MENTION] - a song for you! Another recent innovation for Yorkshire has been road cycling races (or 'getting in the way of the traffic' as my family think of them!) with the Tour de Yorkshire every year and the Tour de France's first two stages in 2014. This song celebrates Yorkshire cycling icon Beryl Burton who won seven world titles, set a woman's record for the 12 hour time trial that was faster than the men's and even beat her daughter, a fellow cycling champion, in the national road race. This song celebrates her incredible achievements in a soft and gentle style, but with a hidden core of steel, just like Beryl herself!

Gentleman Jack
Their hit! This is the song used as the theme for the TV show of the same name, but, unusually, it was written seven years before the TV show! The producer asked the pair if they could use the song for the show, and permission was granted. Gentleman Jack was a derisive term for Anne Lister, a 19th Century Yorkshire landowner who lived the most extraordinary life and underwent a pseudo-marriage ceremony with a fellow female landowner. Fiercely independent and well travelled, it is only in the last few years that her incredible story is becoming more widely known. The song itself has an infectious beat and is accompanied by a beautifully potato video that they filmed themselves whilst messing around in the dressing room!

COPY-PASTE LIST

VOTING: Usual Lupine method, but with only three songs, I'm just giving you 6-5-4-3-2-1 to play with, so three numbers from the six!
DEADLINE: 29/08 @23 CEST

Thanks for reading and hope you enjoy the songs :D

Lupus

Piece of Wonk

With a submission deadline now set, NF deadline is 23CEST on 29th August!

Time for some #mentionspam
[MENTION=15700]JSSArcos[/MENTION] [MENTION=9441]RainyWoods[/MENTION] [MENTION=14007]lavieenrose[/MENTION] [MENTION=4724]EurovisionSmile[/MENTION] [MENTION=14424]Genesis[/MENTION] [MENTION=16567]Zonne147[/MENTION] [MENTION=12848]MARCOMEN[/MENTION] [MENTION=14451]ferret[/MENTION] [MENTION=6452]CypriotGirl[/MENTION] [MENTION=15323]Eulaliya[/MENTION] [MENTION=12078]AshleyWright[/MENTION] [MENTION=16089]anaraqueen[/MENTION] and anyone else who would like to have a listen! It's only a short NF - about 11 minutes!

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member

Thank you for the reminder. I actually should have voted days ago :lol:

it's done now though

Lupus

Piece of Wonk

Thanks to :jp: :kr: :au: :paci: :be: :lond: :ie: and :neus: for their votes! We have a winner by :5: :D

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
WV113: O'Hooley & Tiddow - "Beryl"

Beryl was our winner - somewhat of a surprise to me as I had expected "Gentleman Jack" to win, but that shows the virtues of a National Final (and how rubbish I am at judging people's tastes :p )! Results were as follows:

Beryl 34
Gentleman Jack 29
Summat's Brewin' 27

Close! Thanks again to all who voted in the NF and I hope you enjoy my final Yorkshire entry for the time being :D

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
This is my favourite song you’ve sent since your Jane McDonald mega hit. These girls do such a swell job of telling Beryl’s story. It’s incredibly charming. The tune hasn’t left my head since the NF. I’m very grateful for the introduction to O'Hooley & Tiddow‘s music.

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
Ah well, my reign ended much as it began! Thanks to all those people who voted in the National Final to help me choose a song, as well as those who got behind Beryl in the first semi final xlove It's been an unusual stay for me - atrocious qualification record, but it's been wonderful fun introducing you to some Yorkshire gems. I also ticked off what must be one of the biggest WV bucket list items and was able to win with my home region so it's been a most special stay indeed. I will definitely be returning as part of my Royal Progress around the :uk: regions, but not for a bit. Much as I did four years ago in real life, it's time to bid farewell to my homeland and head North... to SCOTLAND!

Ringdalen

THE HUMBER!!!!! and some place called Yorkshire

In WV 146 will I send the song I've wanted to send the most to WorldVision.
I will go into detail when the entry has been revealed in the Semi Final, but if this song touches just one person and can help in anyway has it all been worth it. xheart

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
LMAOOO that title killed me. 😭😂😭😂

Ringdalen

LMAOOO that title killed me. 😭😂😭😂
I hope everyone will be for the renaming of this region. Until the Welcome-signs are installed in our Beautiful region will I be paying for billboards around all the countries and regions participating in WV. :cool:

Ringdalen

Yorkshire and The Humber got a very original idea for who we want to send next to WV. So please welcome....
Annerley Gordon! xcheerxcheerxcheer

Top Bottom