Contact us

Yorkshire & The Humber

WorldVision

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
Welcome to YORKSHIREand the Humber

6a00e550601dfb8834011571b54aa2970b-500pi

Ay up and welcome t' 'Yorkshire Green Room!! I don't believe there's been one before now, so I've made one to kick things off.

Why Lord President? Well in 1472 (back when I were a lad), Edward IV created the Council of the North to administer the North of England and it was led by a Lord President - the first of which was his younger brother, Richard, Duke of Gloucester. Yorkshire's not really had a leader per se, so I thought I'd appropriate the old title for myself. :p

WV102: We needed a new method of transport so we got Peter Auty "Walking In The Air"

Lupus' History

Last edited by a moderator:

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
Re: YORKSHIRE: WV97 - Welcome To Yorkshire!

So for Yorkshire's first entry under my rule, we shall be celebrating the fact that it was YORKSHIRE DAY last week with the only song appropriate for such a joyous occasion. A few of you may already know, but I hope it gives you all a proper introduction to God's Own County! :D

I should also add that I am overjoyed to have control of my homeland in WV. I have so many ideas and (I hope!) variety of music to introduce you all to :D I fully intend doing something I've not done in aaaaaages and holding a few NFs here and there. Belt up at the back and get ready for a ride through the music of YORKSHIRE xcheer

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member

Greetings my lord President, may you have a prosperous reign :cool: Scotland sends you 3 wigs and a diamond as an welcome gift. :lol:

Lupus

Piece of Wonk

Greetings my lord President, may you have a prosperous reign :cool: Scotland sends you 3 wigs and a diamond as an welcome gift. :lol:

Ay up! Reet chuffed wi' 'gifts tha's sent over! We have sent a case of the finest flat caps and a bottle of Harrogate Spa Water, as drunk by everyone's favourite President, north as a thanks!

russia_with_love.jpg

Yes, that's right, Putin drinks Yorkshire mineral water :lol:

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member

Harrogate Spa Mineral water xheat the water of world leaders. Maybe he wanted it for testing to see how to get Novichok into our water supply. xthink Great to see my (And yours ofc) home region back in WV. :mrgreen:

Good luck Yorkshire andThe Humber

Lupus

Piece of Wonk

esc87fan

Always feels good when you're competing in your home region. Good luck!

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

Ey up! Eeh by gum, you're in Yorkshire and the Hummer. Very best of luck to you Lord President. May the hits be plentiful.

Eulaliya

From the Grand Duchy of Bavaria and its Großherzogin, we cordially wish you a very pleasant good luck with your home region dear chap Robert! xcheerxlove

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
Re: YORKSHIRE: WV97 - Yorkshire Folk "On Ilkla Moor Baht 'at"

WV97: Yorkshire Folk: "On Ilkla Moor Baht 'at

I mean, this was always going to be my opening entry for Yorkshire!! I am a proud Olicanian (from the Roman name for Ilkley) and have been since the age of three when my family moved thither. The song itself dates back to the Victorian period and was allegedly written by a Halifax-based choir who came on an outing to Ilkley Moor and enjoyed it so much they wrote a song about not having your hat on there! Yes, that IS what "baht 'at" means! The version we have here was made by "Welcome to Yorkshire" - the Yorkshire tourist organisation - back in 2013. It must have done a good job because the following year, the Tour de France came! The song has numerous variations, so I am sure that it will sound different even to those who have heard it before. It has been adopted as the unofficial anthem of the county and is often sung on Yorkshire Day (1st August) to celebrate this iconic county. xcheer

So hope you enjoy listening to our national anthem! See if you can spot some of the iconic Yorkshire Folk singing along to it - some may be making a return appearance in later WV editions... ;)

ZoboCamel

I'm just listening through SF1 now and DAMN IT you've left me confused. I really don't care for the naff choir of schoolkids, but I want to give my 12 to rapping Brian Blessed. This might be the hardest-to-score entry I've heard in many editions xgaah

Lupus

Piece of Wonk

Due to a lack of TRUE YORKSHIRE PATRIOTS in WV, our national anthem failed to qualify :p Thanks to those iconic few who know great music when they hear it for their points xlove

Next edition, well it's half a returning artist from a previous life! You want clues? Shh. Let go of your hopes; I don't want to give clues this edition. I've only got one thing to say to you and that's WAIT AND SEE!! ;)

Or, if you're really observant, you might find a hint or two in the above paragraph...

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
Re: YORKSHIRE: WV100 - Grimethorpe Colliery Band "William Tell Overture"

WV100: Grimethorpe Colliery Band "William Tell Overture"

Thought I had better get this up soon! :p This edition, I have gone for a REET stereotypical Yorkshire thing - the brass band. Not going to claim that they are Yorkshire invention, but in the mining boom of the 19th and 20th centuries, basically every single mine had its own band. Ofc, these days, almost all have gone, but a few are still out there and Grimethorpe is possibly one of the best known and well-regarded. The William Tell overture is an iconic piece and it just sounds SO good on this video that I really had to go with this :D Hope y'all enjoy xlove

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
Re: YORKSHIRE: WV101 - You'll Find Out

So after that incredibly near miss, I'm sorta going with a similar theme but totally different! Confused? Well, I think you may be even more confused when you hear the song, but fingers crossed it works out for y'all! :D

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
Re: YORKSHIRE: WV101 - Dame Judi Dench "Send In The Clowns"

WV101: Dame Judi Dench "Send In The Clowns"

Similar theme but totally different? Well to answer the hordes who were wondering, it's an iconic song being performed in a way you perhaps don't expect ;) Dame Judi Dench is my second dame (well, third if you count Dame Adèle Anderson from Fascinating Aïda but apparently it's yet to be confirmed by the court of St. James...) in WV and she is perhaps not one you'd think of as a singer... At all :p But in fact this was kinda how she started out. I didn't really know what to send - or what would be available on YouTube - once I'd decided to send her, but came across this and was just struck by how perfectly she performs the song. Her acting brilliance means she can deliver the song in a way so few people ever could and I hope WorldVision enjoys seeing this YORKSHIRE icon in a new light with an old favourite xlove

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

I've always loved this song, and this is a beautiful rendition of it by Dame Judixheart Very much a you entry. Who else would give us such a lovely dame? I've got memories of my mother singing this song a lot from back in the day. She loves Cleo Laine's version of it, which coincidentally became my favourite version too. It requires someone who's lived a life to sing it, and Dame Judi certainly has. Spellbinding performance.

For some reason though I thought you were sending Same Difference when I read your cluesxrofl2

Lupus

Piece of Wonk

I've always loved this song, and this is a beautiful rendition of it by Dame Judixheart Very much a you entry. Who else would give us such a lovely dame? I've got memories of my mother singing this song a lot from back in the day. She loves Cleo Laine's version of it, which coincidentally became my favourite version too. It requires someone who's lived a life to sing it, and Dame Judi certainly has. Spellbinding performance.

For some reason though I thought you were sending Same Difference when I read your cluesxrofl2

What a lovely comment; thanks old bean xlove

Only one question: What's Same Difference?! :lol:

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

They were a brother and sister duo from X Factor:lol: You might enjoy them actually. They are kind of Steps-esque in a way.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member

this duo from x factor perhaps? :D Although not from our region. :lol: From the south east.

Lupus

Piece of Wonk

They were a brother and sister duo from X Factor:lol: You might enjoy them actually. They are kind of Steps-esque in a way.

They also appear to be from Portsmouth (not in Yorkshire, or even the Humber)! :lol:

EDIT: Seems that Ashley got there just before me!

Top Bottom