• I'm not excited about it/I didn't like it

7 10.1%
  • I'm dreading it/I hated it

10 14.5%
  • I'm not bothered/I didn't see it

13 18.8%

• Total voters

tomos2019

Oh some of the Icelandic accents were literally terrible! :poop: I must admit I did laugh when

Lindon

Ezio

Veteran
It was OK. I suppose it was mindless entertainment for me. The songs were fun what-ifs, though of course lots of things about the contest were inaccurate oddly some of the moments of the storyline and characters did slightly annoy me too.

The inacurracy was off-putting for me. What was going on with the scoreboard in the Semifinal? Zeros, zeros, zeros across the board. Why did this movie get endorsed by the EBU? What also strikes me is how the cliché of Russian homophobia also got a pass by the EBU.

A very very American film. I think I needed to have been very drunk to laugh at it. Also as much as I loved him as James Bond, Pierce Brosnan should never act as a character that isn't Irish or British, his accent travelled all over the British Isles

I thought it was obvious in Song-Along, when they let Eurovision stars sing Believe and Ray of Light, which obviously are LGBT anthems but also American pop songs. Pandering to the Western LGBT audience, united against Russian homophobia. They should have sung Euphoria and Toy instead.

I found Pierce Brosnan less off-putting than Will Ferrell. Lars should have been played by someone else. Will Farrell is not only not funny but also too old and unattractive to be desired by Sigrit but also the Greek singer.

Lindon

So you think certain existing laws and government goals in Russia are clichés?

anto475

So you think certain existing laws and government goals in Russia are clichés?
I know this isn't directed at me but I have to say that did raise an issue with me, the whole "Mother Russia won't let me be gay" trope. It's lazy and it reduces the entire country to one narrative that erases the experiences of queer Russians and just falls into an anti-Russian stereotype that has been a Hollywood staple since WWII which is nothing more than an extension of American propaganda. There are queer Russians, some openly queer. There are accepting Russians. Russia has a rich queer history. The laws and homophobic culture in Russia is abhorrent and suffocating but Russia, like all countries, isn't just a homogenous group of people that think the same. Just like the stereotypes of the contest being a wacky freakshow that informed the movie, including the evil closeted Russian villain who is repressed to the point of maliciousness is lazy, tired, and harmful.

Arion

Oh god this film was so dumb... I LOVED IT LMAO
It was so stupid but I enjoyed it a lot. The music was great. I'm literally listening to Husavik while writing this. It had some weak points and some parts of it weren't needed, but I had a good laugh.

Ezio

Veteran
I know this isn't directed at me but I have to say that did raise an issue with me, the whole "Mother Russia won't let me be gay" trope. It's lazy and it reduces the entire country to one narrative that erases the experiences of queer Russians and just falls into an anti-Russian stereotype that has been a Hollywood staple since WWII which is nothing more than an extension of American propaganda. There are queer Russians, some openly queer. There are accepting Russians. Russia has a rich queer history. The laws and homophobic culture in Russia is abhorrent and suffocating but Russia, like all countries, isn't just a homogenous group of people that think the same. Just like the stereotypes of the contest being a wacky freakshow that informed the movie, including the evil closeted Russian villain who is repressed to the point of maliciousness is lazy, tired, and harmful.

As far as I know, Mother Russia lets you be gay, she just doesn't let you promote homosexual lifestyle, as their notion apparently is that homosexuality is a lifestyle choice. That is bad enough, however, it won't get you imprisoned nor killed, unlike in Chechnya or in Iran or other countries.

America has quite a baggage themselves, as do we, so I don't let them get away to patronize us about what's light and darkness through Eurovision. It's particularly tacky for Hollywood to make a movie about Eurovision full of clichés and inaccuracies to pick on their arch nemesis Russia.

AlekS

Veteran
The laws and homophobic culture in Russia is abhorrent and suffocating but Russia, like all countries, isn't just a homogenous group of people that think the same.
I didn't get those vibes from this movie honestly, I mean nobody said that all people are like that.
It's obviously not homogenous (even tho only 7% support gay marriage) but I don't think that this movie wants to stigmatize Russia.
If it was about stereotypes they wouldn't put Jamala right next to that Russian character.
In fact the movie brings too much attention to Russia. ESC is not about 2-3 countries. Netflix could have helped some struggling countries which are not in the spotlight too or briefly give more space to all the participants. The movie is painfully long but the only time/moment I sensed ESC spirit lasted only for 3 minutes. But even there they managed to insert a few random American songs xstars

including the evil closeted Russian villain who is repressed to the point of maliciousness is lazy, tired, and harmful.
But it's not a stereotype. It's Kirkorov :lol: Thankfully even ESCUnited staff pointed that out.

Swedenvision

Hmm I actually liked it, clearly better than I expected. :)(y)

But the highlight of the movie for me was Molly Sandéns magical vocals on those songs, especilly on Husavik, simply amazing!!! :oops:

Would love to see Molly back in Melodifestivalen, with a good song she would win and maybe give us the 7th win. ;)

Lindon

They put a lot of effort into it. It took 3 days to shoot the song along scene according to Dan Stevens.

Lindon

Nice explainer

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
The film was a bit of a hot mess, but it did have a certain charm at times. Particularly I thought the ending was quite sweet, with Ja Ja Ding Dong being the undisputed hit of the movie.

There's certain stuff that just wouldn't happen at the real Eurovision I can look past. In the studio recording a new version of your song during rehearsal week? Ok, I can forgive that. The way they handled the semi though was frustrating. The results on the scoreboard is an iconic part of the contest. I guess with how they decided to end the movie, they felt the need to do spokespersons with their points during the semi so that we at least have that aspect of the contest, but it just felt so, so very wrong.

I laughed out loud only twice. How Lars and Sigrit actually won the national final was hilariously dark. That last elf scene as well with the little knife. The mysterious elves were certainly the stars here tbh. Overall though the humour was just too forced for my tastes. I don't regret watching it at all, but it could have been a bit better. I'd prefer to see a Eurovision film that's not a comedy. Imagine a film about Valentina Monetta's Eurovision journey? The 16 year old girl that was meant to sing Social Network Song dropping out at the last minute and Valentina coming in to the rescue. Legendary.

AlekS

Veteran
Jamala shared this pic:

wnYUJNx.jpg

She's already friends with Loreen (since 2016, there's a vid of them in some Stockholm bar where they hug & kiss, looking almost the same like sisters with Loreen saying that 1944 was her most fave song. She basically predicted the winner, despite all odds).
She's already friends with Netta (since Netta had visited Ukraine numerous times).
And when the shooting of their episode in London was over, Elina went shopping with her & helped to pick a toy for Jamala's baby xheart

Jay25

Watched the movie yesterday, and I really loved it! :)

Of course, the movie had some "flaws", especially in the story (in both the Eurovision and Non-Eurovision parts), but this has obviously not been the main focus of the movie.

I believe that this movie did the perfectly right things in creating a Eurovision-based comedy! Focus on the music, have a lot of Eurovision cameos, use real Eurovision designs and try to stay as true as possible to the real Eurovision concept (within the borders of the storyline). I don't know what more one could have expected! :love:

Lindon

That's funny:

Lindon

Complete soundtrack list:

• "Sá ég spóa" — Savanna Trio
• "Waterloo" — ABBA
• "Volcano Man" —Will Ferrell, Rachel McAdams, and Molly Sanden
• "Happy" — Will Ferrell, Rachel McAdams, and Molly Sanden
• "Ja Ja Ding Dong" — Will Ferrell, Rachel McAdams, and Molly Sanden
• "In the Mirror" — Demi Lovato
• "Heyr Himna Smiður" - Ellen Kristjánsdóttir
• "Brand New"— Karl Zine
• "Felis Lunar" — Alvia Islandia
• "Double Trouble" — Will Ferrell, Rachel McAdams, and Molly Sanden
• "Amar Pelos Dois" — Salvador Sobral
• "Lion of Love" — Erik Mjönes
• "Push It." — Fitty Fitty
• "Don't Wanna Leave" — Mr Robotic feat. DJ Bam Bam
• "Song-A-Long" — John Lundvik, Anna Odobescu, Bilal Hassani, Loreen, Jessy Matador, Alexander Rybak, Jamala, Elina Netšajeva, Conchita Wurst, Netta, Will Ferrell, Molly Sanden and Erik Mjönes
• "Húsavík (Hometown)" - Will Ferrell, Rachel McAdams, and Molly Sanden
• "Running with the Wolves" — Courtney Jenae, Adam Grahn
• "Te Deum, H.146: I. Prelude" - Les Arts Florissants and William Christie
• "Hit My Itch" — Antonio Sol, David Loucks, Taylor Lindersmith, Nicole Leonti
• "Fool Moon" — Anteros
• "Come and Play (Masquerade)" — Petra Nielsen
• "Coolin' with Da Homies" - Savan Kotecha
• "Untitled No. 3" - Sigur Rós
• "Hoppipolla" - Sigur Rós
• "Svefn-G-Englar" - Sigur Rós

esc87fan

Apparently Duncan Laurence was offered a cameo role in the film, but he turned it down due to other commitments

Top Bottom