7 10.1%
  • I'm dreading it/I hated it

10 14.5%
  • I'm not bothered/I didn't see it

13 18.8%

• Total voters

A-lister

Veteran
I noticed I never commented on the movie.

So what to say, it's a pretty nonsense comedy that frankly isn't that funny most of the time, it's clearly aimed at an American audience who has little or no knowledge about Eurovision. As a Eurovision fan one can obviously be irritated a bit at how the contest is somewhat presented as a joke (feeding the narrative), but looking past that and understanding that it IS a Will Ferrell comedy after all and it's meant to be a parody, some obvious fact mistakes on minor stuff like the voting procedure etc. is also irritating at times.

Flip-side though, if one can look past the obvious nonsense, the movie is still a quite "cute comedy", it's not very offensive and even with its flaws, I still think it's made with the heart in its right place and not as a pure mockery. It does have some fun moments, so it's an all right movie to pass time if you don't take it too seriously, but it has so many lost opportunities to be brilliant wheres it's mostly a bit meh. The Russian and Greek character for instance had lots of potential to be hilarious and spot on playing with prejudices, unfortunately the script don't develop them further and not in the direction one would have thought, I for instance thought at first there would be more drama with these characters but turned out pretty bleak in the end. I do think however it could have been even better with a female Ukrainian antagonist, not to play on the Ukraine vs. Russia thing, but because Ukraine is the country that I say more than Greece defines these big female Pop divas (although Greece also fits quite well here).

In conclusion: The movie is all right as a pretty stupid feel-good comedy, but it is flawed in its presentation and story-line and they could have done so much more with the concept. In fact, a full on absurd mockery would have been better than this middle of the road thing since they didn't really stay on the facts anyways xshrug

Last edited:

r3gg13

I honestly enjoyed the movie quite a lot! It is not meant to be an accurate representation of Eurovision, it is meant to be an absurdist portrayal of Eurovision that pulls a lot of influence from the stereotypes. It did that very well. You have over-the-top characters, music stylings of the Eurovision yesteryears, you have a lot of fan service, I can't really ask for more. The exploding Demi Lovato was beyond hilarious. The inclusion of the elves was a nice stereotypical touch.It's a great absurdist piece because it defies your expectation of the "realities" of Eurovision.

A-lister

Veteran
I honestly enjoyed the movie quite a lot! It is not meant to be an accurate representation of Eurovision, it is meant to be an absurdist portrayal of Eurovision that pulls a lot of influence from the stereotypes. It did that very well. You have over-the-top characters, music stylings of the Eurovision yesteryears, you have a lot of fan service, I can't really ask for more. The exploding Demi Lovato was beyond hilarious. The inclusion of the elves was a nice stereotypical touch.It's a great absurdist piece because it defies your expectation of the "realities" of Eurovision.

I sorta agree with this, my main issue though is that it wasn't absurd enough if that makes any sense? I think I would have an easier time with the "flaws" in representation of the contest if it in fact was even more over the top. Like I wrote about playing on the stereotypes when it came to some characters like for instance the Russian and Greek one, I feel they didn't do enough with them and that storyline. I expected full on drama sabotaging b*tches , but in the end not really.

Last edited:

r3gg13

I sorta agree with this, my main issue though is that it wasn't absurd enough if that makes any sense? I think I would have an easier time with the "flaws" in representation of the contest if it in fact was even more over the top. Like I wrote about playing on the stereotypes when it came to some characters like for instance the Russian and Greek one, I feel they didn't do enough with them and that storyline. I expected full on drama sabotaging b*tches , but in the end not really.

I also would have loved a more intense absurdity! Given the context and what the movie was trying to cover, they were spread quite thin in terms of how much detail they could put in the time they had.

Not wanting to dance anymore, but I must dance
Husavik is on the shortlist for the Oscars (Academy Awards) for Best Original Song

a4dbbf8103095016e565c3482eb12c0a9da8f1b1.png

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar

esc87fan

It lost its Critics Choice bid for Best Song to "Speak Now" from One Night in Miami, and its Grammy bid for Best Soundtrack Compilation for Visual Media to Jojo Rabbit

midnightsun

Veteran
I loved the movie! If you are aware that it’s neither a mean parody of ESC nor a comedy then you‘ll be alright with it. I am happy the movie decides to only scratch the surface. Yes, the movie is superficial at times, but I really don’t want a real parody and I don’t want an Adam Sandler movie so it’s perfect. The characters are funny but not exaggerated. Yes, funny hints at Eurovision but not in a way they make fun of it all the times. The songs are pretty good and they tried to make the characters serious.
It’s a lovely hommage and not a stereo typical comedy. Iceland is the perfect country for a movie like this and Edinburgh being the host is hilarious!
I really enjoyed the movie and even my husband said it’s a good movie and he‘s really not into Eurovision.

burrito

I got around to watch the movie a few days ago and as much as I was bothered by some things (live music? not that I would mind it in the real contests) it was actually pretty entertaining. It doesn't mock Eurovision at all, it's light-hearted and fun, definitely worth checking out xheart

edit: it's good that they included come cameos!

Top Bottom