Sans toi
Derrière mes paupières
Trouver de l'air

(Ah)
Tout l'univers
Nos deux cœurs sous la terre
Au milieu des failles et des ressacs
Nous nous retrouvons au point d'impact
Comment soigner nos coeurs qui éclatent?
Tout l'univers​

Last edited by a moderator:

Citelis

Amaury Vassili was way too bad live. Even if Gjon's Tears this year has a not winning staging he is nowhere near as bad as Amaury was in 2011. I still believe he will be in top10 but not winning.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
But if you say his overall performance is still quite good, why wouldn't he still be a contender for the win? He might have the ability to score well in both jury and televote, so why not? I still think someone could win it in the Duncan-way, because I question how well France will do with the televote and how well Italy will do with the juries.

Personally, I never believed "Tout l'univers" would win. Gjon's falsetto is very hit or miss (also: Voilà is, and has always been, a better more personable song). He could technically still win as a lowest common denominator, like Duncan and Jamala, but I'm confident that Barbara wins the jury vote and comes -at the worst- third in the televote. This contest is France's to lose.

joao

Super Moderator
Staff member
When has this ever happened? Like the most certain qualifier before rehearsals (in what is considered the weaker semi) to turn out a Non-Qualifier?

When an almost certain qualifier failed to qualify?

:is: 2005
:be: 2006
:cy: 2007
:ch: 2007
:sk: 2010
:no: 2016
:fi: 2017
:lv: 2017
:be: 2018

Ezio

Veteran
Please don't ever remind me of the heartbreak that :sk: 2010 was for me, or I will fling myself out of the window on the ground floor, our of despair and very depressed.

Those non-qualifiers pre-2008 failed due to the failiing concept of Eurovision itself. 15 prequalifiers from prior year and Big 4 and only 10 qualifiers from diaspora riddled mega-semis. Of course Western countries were up against the wall.

Shadowfuxcs

When an almost certain qualifier failed to qualify?

:is: 2005
:be: 2006
:cy: 2007
:ch: 2007
:sk: 2010
:no: 2016
:fi: 2017
:lv: 2017
:be: 2018
None of those had the support that Switzerland had this year. Pre-2008 there cannot be a comparison as these countries got disqualified in semis with 25+ countries and some of them had very bad running order (Cyprus 2007 performing 3rd in a semi of 28 countries) and/or horrible vocals and staging (Iceland 2005, Belgium 2006). The post-2008 countries mentioned were never big favorites (Belgium 2018 was close but fell significantly before the rehearsals). Add to that the fact that for most of those years social media were not as prominent and it was harder to predict the results compared to today.

midnightsun

Veteran
Not sure why (all of) you are so negative towards the performance. I don’t see a single bad second. If I didn’t know this song before it totally had me with this performance.
Arcade was my #3 in 2019 but the performance (that includes singing too) put me off a lot. After the semi the song went almost out of my top 10. I‘m over the moon Gjon did not choose to have a similar performance.

Lance Esgard

I was looking at the rehearsal clip and thought that the background reminded me a lot of his music video for Répondez-moi. I then wondered if perhaps part of the problem with this staging is that ideas from last year (i.e. the background LED) were being borrowed from more than was fitting.

As it turns out, when I replaced the audio with that of Répondez-moi, it seemed to me that the staging was a better fit for that song.

If you're curious you can see/download the result of this here.

midnightsun

Veteran
Yeah, it fits nicely. Reminds me of how much I want him to win with Répondez-moi which has now overtaken Fairytale as THE best Eurovision song EVER in my whole ranking. It’s such a pity he could not use his song this year.

Yet I love Tout L'Univers as well and I think the staging is fitting there too. Especially the hand gestures work in both songs. I don’t know why everyone thinks of hip hop here (I have to admit the rap memes are funny as hell) when it‘s just a great way to emphasize the power of the song. I already compared it to drumrolls, when the tension is rising, you support the act by drumming until the crowd is in the mood and cheering and then the final „bingggg“. His hand moves are like a „come on come on“ to himself and the audience and it will have a very strong impact, it’s emotional at the same time, it’s a very cultural thing.

Milos-BC

My #1 favorite this year. Everything fits so well and the song is perfect. Both of his ESC songs are equally amazing. While I am not sure that he will actually win the competition, I am quite certain that he will be top 3 minimum.

12 points.

Shadowfuxcs

Switzerland already going up in the odds. They will be in a much better place after the semi final. I stick to my opinion that the public after 1.5 year without events the public wants daring performances and not Duncans hiding behind a piano. This is why Ukraine is getting such a positive response and Switzerland can have a similar impact.

markdowd

Switzerland already going up in the odds. They will be in a much better place after the semi final. I stick to my opinion that the public after 1.5 year without events the public wants daring performances and not Duncans hiding behind a piano. This is why Ukraine is getting such a positive response and Switzerland can have a similar impact.
well said. Tonight;s jury show was a HUGE success. Massive response from the arena!! Odds tumbling....

midnightsun

Veteran
If he copied Duncan‘s performance and had a simple staging with a piano I bet he‘d be #5 at best.

This staging is everything! Its visuals are one of the best, only Ukraine is at the same level. Extremely outstanding. I still don’t know where he‘ll end up but top 3 is more likely with this staging.

Last year, for example, when I listened to the songs with my family, I thought my mum and my sis would love Répondez-moi. But surprisingly (or I may say shockingly) for me, both didn’t like it at all.

This year I didn’t think my sister would love Belgium since she usually prefers faster songs, but it was one her favourites!

I am really excited how he will do with all the people, whether public or jury.

Sammy

Veteran
I‘m curious to see the performance tonight, because thw rehearsal clips left me with a very awkward feeling. His facial expressions, the slightly robotic walk, the unsure transistions between the choreographic elements - for me that doesn‘t look genuine. But of course what counts is the impression after the whole 3 minutes...

Top Bottom