Sans toi
Derrière mes paupières
Trouver de l'air

(Ah)
Tout l'univers
Nos deux cœurs sous la terre
Au milieu des failles et des ressacs
Nous nous retrouvons au point d'impact
Comment soigner nos coeurs qui éclatent?
Tout l'univers​

Last edited by a moderator:

abenteuer

It only shows that a group of 100-200 people (which we could call "the jury") would crown this song a winner based on their terms of an actual "song contest". :lol:
Eh, even though it may not have been such a large group of people I still think it holds weight -- actual songwriters recognised that Switzerland was the best song compositionally. In my opinion it was the best songwriting by a lonnng mile, followed maybe by Iceland.

Fluke

The best song, plain and simple. I'm surprised he didn't do even better with the televotes than he did. Maybe people just had other priorities and wanted a certain kind of winner this year.

I got a feeling Gjon will be back in a few years, and possibly win though.... he's still so young!

Shadowfuxcs

Apparently I have no self respect and regretfully I watched wiwi's commentary about the results. High praise for everybody even those that got zero points, everyone did amazing, but when it comes to Switzerland there was nothing positive to be said apart from the factual truth that they won the jury.
William commented on how Gjon was "not as uncomfortable as usual" and how he "didn't do well with the public but we knew that already, hahahaha he finished only two places above hurricane". For real dude? Apparently having the best and most distinctive vocal delivery of the night while also doing movement, connecting with the camera and having to deal with elaborate staging is not enough. Interestingly Lithuania got exactly the same amount of televote points but this result was presented as a success by William.
And yet Switzerland got an amazing result, receiving 5 or more times the televote of other acts that enjoyed the artificial hype of certain media.
If Gjon returns he should let a backing track do half of the singing and join wiwibloggs in a hair product campaign to get any shot at objective coverage.

Most likely he will only return as a songwriter though, it looked like he was over it by the end.

Sammy

Veteran
Just watched the winning moment again and I have to say Gjon's reaction to the Italian win is just what's Eurovision is all about: no fake smile, no bitterness, a short disappointment, sure, but then pure and real joy for being part of this experience and for what he has achieved. Real sportsmanship! What a great guy!

aef

With :at: not being in the final this year I was even more happy about the very good result for :ch:! For me it was the most magical performance, with typical winner vibes but in the end :it: was also slightly ahead for me, having the more powerful performance... Anyway, I think the 3rd place is so deserved, well done!

Iker

Veteran
So I was right about :ch: eventually not winning but correct about him placing at least in top 4 overall. Thank you Gjon's Tears.

Had he won it would have been my favourite winner since :ua: 2016 or :se: 2012. Stunning.

His voice blew me again yesterday, but it could do with different clothes (for some those werw ugly) and staging / choreo as that might have distracted or alienated some people (albeit certain aspects of it I certainly loved personally). It was also bordering on being pretentious I agree but I am glad it was not basic either. I felt he was more stressed than in the SF but I loved watching that performance to bits anyway. I certainly envy his vocal abilities (I am an amateur singer myself with a similar type of voice but nowhere the skill obviously, lol).

Last edited:

JamieBrown

Gjon deserved every single point for his outstanding personality as well. Such a enjoyable, handsome man.

Let alone the song, this probably was the best entry for me and the performance didn't at least destroy the song. Surely his jealous-making vocal range helped with that. Visually and choreo-wise it was too much for a bigger televoting score. Seems he just performed for the juries, even if he did that great

midnightsun

Veteran
Didn’t he win an award for the best song?

Anyway, he was brilliant yesterday. He would have been a deserved winner and would have probably succeeded my all time fav winner Rybak.

I don’t think it was his staging or performance or clothes because all people I asked liked him, even the ones I would not have expected.

I just think Italy grabbed the moment because it was a typical "voted out of rebellion" song. Not that it isn’t a deserved winner - I had them on my winner list at #4 of the 4 countries I wanted to see winning.
It’s a song you know it will win when you listen to it. This screams protest votes! This plays with the emotions of all groups, it’s that kind of „oh it’s unusual let’s vote for it“ songs. They had nothing to lose, only to win. So they won.

I hope to see Gjon once again but his staging for Repondéz moi would have been art / interpretive dance too (he showed footage of rehearsal) so don’t think he would come up with another idea the next time. It’s Gjon, it’s him, he is a real ARTIST and he wants to show his art on stage. It will maybe never be enough for an audience that tend to favour the simpler songs in the end.

FoxOfShadows

So the BBC Eurovision Twitter account used clips from the jury rehearsal for their live tweets and they've shown the note that Gjon went for in the jury show.

I know people watching press streams thought it sounded a bit iffy but I think it sounds amazing here. Might have been what won him the jury vote overall.

innou

About that jury show, there's this interview he did today in French where he explains that he had a bunch of technical problems in that particular performance, so he's extra happy to have won the juries. When San Marino complained about their technical problems, they also mentioned Switzerland having problems with their prop. I wonder if they asked for a re-run?

esc87fan

Gjon proved to be not only an immensely talented person with an incredible vocal range during this entire Eurovision experience, but a gentle and humble person. During that final moment when Italy won, he smiled and applauded, then embraced his delegation as if he had won himself. What really made me smile is that he saw winning the jury vote as a victory in itself and he was proud of that no matter what happened in the public vote.

He's got a great future ahead of him and I would love to get his solo album sometime soon

E2-EG328-WEAMZFn0.jpg

This was from Reto Peritz's Twitter account earlier today. The shirt Gjon was wearing was a gift to him from The Roop

sapsan

Still don't get how Italy won with that cr*p. :cry: "Tout l’univers" will be listened to every day by hundreds and thousands of people. Those stupid rockers will be mentioned at least once a year if they would be invided at Eurovision to perform in the interval. By the way, another rockers Lordi have been invited to perform once for 14 years :D

FilipFromSweden

Fucking love him and his song xheart

Also does anyone know where I can find the clip of him eating that became a meme? Is it somewhere in SF2?

HayashiM

Veteran
After his landslide sweep with the "juries" last year here, I was 100% sure he'd be very high in the actual juryvote as well. It's just bound to happen if your voice is on this level and you average multiple people's full rankings.

He also ended up with a great televote as well, just as expected. Calling 6th spot in the televote and 165 points "doing badly" (especially in this edition where 3/4 of the songs didn't even reach 100 and the top 9 placers didn't really leave many leftovers for others) is...
Well, who am I kidding, it's exactly that type of disrespectful attitude I'd expect from the wiwi guys.

midnightsun

Veteran
Honestly, I do NOT dislike Wiwi bloggs, in fact I actually find them all really charming and nice and entertaining BUT when it comes to judging music objectively they are really not the place to look.

ESCUnited staff is much more diverse and honest and objective with their reviews so that’s why I‘m here in THIS forum in first place.

Wiwi has always a soft spot for queens and fashionable acts and everything‘s that‘s a little out of that glitzy bubble doesn’t get accredited by them. So I don’t give anything about their judgement.

Gjon‘s tears is one of the best things ever happend to Eurovision and I hope he‘s not too sad about the outcome. I know, 6th isn’t too bad with the public and he can be proud but honestly I can see why he might be a little sad. I was a bit disappointed too because al the other favourites were higher in the televote.

On the other hand I was surprised he won the juryvote. I really thought France would win this with a landslide. So I am really proud here! I really hope to hear some more music of him and maybe some more great performances. I really really enjoyed the performance and in contrary to many others I didn’t think it harmed him but elevated the song. Pity many t/vs didn’t recognize the beauty of that artwork.

Preuss

Wiwibloggs was better when Deban, Chris, Angus, Padraig were around... I’m sure there are people that don’t like them but they always offered something to the conversations and made them interesting... unlike Cinan who’s literally the worst person in the Eurovision community to be on camera... and Suzanne — as cute as she is, can get a bit annoying sometimes

Ezio

Veteran
I am pleased for Switzerland to have won the juries and for a Top 3 result, but I am also pleased this song did not win after all.

First of all, I personally did not feel it.
But my more important points are that this song sound like French Arcade, and I am happy Eurovision did not walk this lane again. I also think this song is a little to safe, and Italy, although I don't feel it neither, is more original and can help improve Eurovision.

Furthermore, I think Switzerland did not have a rewarding staging. Too grey, too Bulgaria 2017, too forced. It was unoriginal, disconnected, also the wardrobe was pretty strange. Gjon just left the impression of being a very stange kid.

I would have set a more beautiful staging with Monument Valley sunset and then starlit sky with Milky Way.

Top Bottom