Sans toi
Derrière mes paupières
Trouver de l'air

(Ah)
Tout l'univers
Nos deux cœurs sous la terre
Au milieu des failles et des ressacs
Nous nous retrouvons au point d'impact
Comment soigner nos coeurs qui éclatent?
Tout l'univers​

Last edited by a moderator:

Not a fan of his movements in the first half of the rehearsal clip. It really does look like he is actually rapping another song and someone just replaced the music.
I do like the second half of the clip and think that part stands out in a good way. Theoretically my issues could be 'easily' fixed, but I fear most artists are way too stubborn to listen to feedback.

One thing I do want to mention: I don't really agree with some folks saying an entry can be too artsy to generate televotes. I want to bring up Loic Nottet as the example. Still got screenshots from the betfair market that year. His top 10 odds were:
  • 3,1 on May 10th (thats one day before rehearsals started)
  • 4,5 on May 18th (before jury rehearsals)
Sadly the escips website isnt online anymore, but I do remember them saying that televoters wont be able to connect to Loit and that the whole act is too artsy.
In the end Belgium got a strong 4th place in the televote with 37/38 countries giving points to them. Considering they had to compete from slot 13 against Mans, Polina and Il Volo, Belgium actually kind of overperformed.

ESC94

0scar

It wasn't THAT bad as everyone's been saying, the movements were just quite odd but the staging looks nice. The song song grabs attention either way so I'm sure this one will do fine, and is still among the songs that could compete for victory.

I bims

Veteran
I liked the clip of the first rehearsal but after the new one I am really unsure of this as well. I like that he is moving and not doing Arcade 2.0 or Voila 2.0 but I don't know. The rapping gestures are weird... and the outfit...

The styling choices of most countries this year are so bad, what happened? Gjon's outfit looks weird on him, Destiny threw her amazing looks from her video in the trash to wear one nightmare after the other, Tusse switched from his amazing red suit to a mortal combat cosplay... and so many boring silver sparkly dresses. Albania's silver dress is so ugly.

If they all just wore the outfits they wore in their music videos they would all be good to go. Why do so many of them change it for the worse? Some of them actually improve, don't get me wrong... but this year is not only an open field when it comes to winning the contest but also the Barbara Dex award.

Last edited:

For everyone with skills of German. Here´s a summary of reactions of the second rehearsal, and beside one they´re actually pretty positive: xthink

Maybe that last guy who is negative is absolutely right in the end, but he is doing one mistake a lot of fans do: Thinking odds movements during rehearsals are always correct.

Just saying.. I do lots of screenshots each year. Lets take 2017. Everyone claims that 'everybody' already saw it coming during rehearsals that Italy would not win that year. And while there surely were a few concerns back then, this is not reflected at all in the odds.

From before rehearsals started until a few minutes before semi 1, Italy's winning odds stayed absolutely the same around ~1,85 (it even went shorter during rehearsals for some time).
It was Portugal which got the right movement. Their odds went from ~16 to 6. Bulgaria on the other hand went from ~10 before rehearsals to ~20 during rehearsals, only to adjust to ~6 after the semis and even to ~3.5 during the final after he performed.

ESC94

Maybe that last guy who is negative is absolutely right in the end, but he is doing one mistake a lot of fans do: Thinking odds movements during rehearsals are always correct.

Just saying.. I do lots of screenshots each year. Lets take 2017. Everyone claims that 'everybody' already saw it coming during rehearsals that Italy would not win that year. And while there surely were a few concerns back then, this is not reflected at all in the odds.

From before rehearsals started until a few minutes before semi 1, Italy's winning odds stayed absolutely the same around ~1,85 (it even went shorter during rehearsals for some time).
It was Portugal which got the right movement. Their odds went from ~16 to 6. Bulgaria on the other hand went from ~10 before rehearsals to ~20 during rehearsals, only to adjust to ~6 after the semis and even to ~3.5 during the final after he performed.

Yeah, we really shouldn´t overreact because of these small rehearsal parts, the important thing is the performance in the semi final. And we also shouldn´t forget that some performances look really different on the TV screen.

Iker

Veteran
I still think that song wise this would be a clear winner - it all depends on how much people are willing to look past this ... performance. I remember that the fan press was underwhelmed by Netta´s rehearsals in 2018 (Eleni even overtook her in the odds, didn`t she?). So yeah not all ist lost, me thinks.
I still will be not surprised if he wins, let's wait for the semifinal live.

VikingTiger

I think it is interesting to see a very untraditional performance. I like the idea behind this; arty and fresh. But from the short second rehearsal snippet I am not sure this actually works for him. I find myself staring at what he is wearing (not liking it)... and he doesn't seem to be very confident in what he is doing on stage. He looks a bit lost....Those poses seems rather stiff.
BUT I will not deny that he shows brilliant live vocal abilities!

Citelis

Personally i dislike what i see but i agree that we shouldn't rule him out completely. Don't forget however that he was never the absolute winner of the year in the odds and not as big favorite as Duncan was. Malta was first before the rehearsals not Switzerland and anyway between winning and trainwreck there are always middle situations like 4th or 5th for example.

goncalovieira

Sincerly, I think that Switzerland did the mistake of read the fans opinion about the possible auto sabotage about bringing the piano to the stage. After all, they brought something interesting but out of reach for Gjon and now, we only can talk about bye bye feelings for the victory.

kruskica

I liked the clip of the first rehearsal but after the new one I am really unsure of this as well. I like that he is moving and not doing Arcade 2.0 or Voila 2.0 but I don't know. The rapping gestures are weird... and the outfit...

The styling choices of most countries this year are so bad, what happened? Gjon's outfit looks weird on him, Destiny threw her amazing looks from her video in the trash to wear one nightmare after the other, Tusse switched from his amazing red suit to a mortal combat cosplay... and so many boring silver sparkly dresses. Albania's silver dress is so ugly.

If they all just wore the outfits they wore in their music videos they would all be good to go. Why do so many of them change it for the worse? Some of them actually improve, don't get me wrong... but this year is not only an open field when it comes to winning the contest but also the Barbara Dex award.
SJB happened

Citelis

Actually i believe that if you put the studio versions to compete then he would win but he lacks charisma himself on stage. Remember that Duncan was the absolute favorite from the start to the end and won by coming 3rd on juries and 2nd on t/v. This year is stronger than 2019 so if somehow Switzerland wins at the end it won't be an easy victory.

Shadowfuxcs

The reactions to the rehearsal are positive however. Switzerland won the press poll on their first rehearsal, and that included Bulgaria, Finland and Portugal who has gotten good critics for the staging. And it is reported that today's rehearsal was better than the first. The negativity comes mainly from people that only watched the snippet.
Even if the dance is cringy for 15 seconds, we don't know if that is what happening all the time. For the part of the chorus it fits better and afterwards the pillars de-assemble and there is not enough space to move anyways. Also the camerawork was really bad and I expect it will look different on the semi final.

FoxOfShadows

Most of the performance with context for the "rap hands". It looks a lot better and more in line with what the press has been saying. I think they picked a really bad segment to show to the public as the dancing isn't anywhere near as bad throughout the rest of the song

aef

Tbh I don't get the more or less negative reaction. This performance just screams winner to me! Very memorable, very unique and intimate. And the vocals are just so, so on point. Maybe with Covid people will vote for a more positive, bright song but in the end it could also work for :ch:, no doubt.

tararaaam

Most of the performance with context for the "rap hands". It looks a lot better and more in line with what the press has been saying. I think they picked a really bad segment to show to the public as the dancing isn't anywhere near as bad throughout the rest of the song
I believe however, except if camera work really does miracles, that this segment is still enough for the viewer to find it funny or alienating. Moreover, the sterile factor is definitely there too.

I bims

Veteran
I believe however, except if camera work really does miracles, that this segment is still enough for the viewer to find it funny or alienating. Moreover, the sterile factor is definitely there too.
Yeah people will make of him... poor guy :(

Trece

Han Hazretleri
Staff member

Too much recorded vocals, there is a big part where he doesnt sing at all or take high note and chorus still going on as before...

Top Bottom