Contact us

Sweden SWEDEN 2021

escYOUnited

Administrator
flag-800.png

Who are #YOU backing in the Andra Chansen duels?

Last edited by a moderator:

EscGeek

I'm excited for Sannex, Lillasyster & Mustasch.
On a more mainstream poppy side of the spectrum, anything can happen. There are some familiar faces that can do it for me, but i miss my favorite girls i came to love over the past few editions of MF.

Btw, this is EPIC. xmusic

Schlagerman1

The MF 2021 looks pretty good as a whole, but that it lacks a clear winner. Sure, we got the Mamas, but I was no fan of them this year. Dotter had a great song last year, but I still feel something lacking from her on stage. Danny won't win, cause swedes won't vote for a swedish song in the final (the only time for that would be JHF or some other nordic folk song). Eric might do well, but I think he won't go all the way this time. And the others just...no, if they don't shock with killer songs.

No the only one I can see win is the winner of Swedish Idol 2019, Tusse Chiza. He may not be the 100% most certain singer in the list, but his star quality is gigantious and his talent to really hit emotions of those at home are great. I just heard his newest single (which is 3min long, so I guess this was his 2nd choice to MF that SVT turned down) and it is pretty good. Something like this, maybe with a stronger chorus, would be cool to send to Rotterdam and I would approve it. :D

A-lister

Veteran
The MF 2021 looks pretty good as a whole, but that it lacks a clear winner. Sure, we got the Mamas, but I was no fan of them this year. Dotter had a great song last year, but I still feel something lacking from her on stage. Danny won't win, cause swedes won't vote for a swedish song in the final (the only time for that would be JHF or some other nordic folk song). Eric might do well, but I think he won't go all the way this time. And the others just...no, if they don't shock with killer songs.

I'm pretty sure The Mamas will win, regardless of the entry tbh xshrug... but hey ho, I could be wrong (although I tend to not be that off in my predictions, I predicted them to win in 2020 even with that bland entry and mediocre performance).

I think Dotter had a pretty iconic staging last year, so I disagree with that statement, although it seems her nerves take the best of her but maybe she'll be less nervous this year since she managed to have her major breakthrough in 2020 and have less to "prove" this time around? xshrug

It's a shame Swedes don't vote for the Swedish language entries, but the MF team and not the public is mostly to blame here I'd say because they (=the MF team) tend to choose mostly joke entries, hopeless has-beens or bland newcomers in Swedish which leaves little room for the public to support (even if the public would want to support a Swedish language entry, in the end of the day they won't support something that is clearly bad).. but maybe with Danny this time around it could be different? xshrug As I said earlier I didn't like his previous entries, but there's no denying that they were generally liked and he is one of the biggest names in the competition and I doubt he'd come back with something weak to risk his career on that, and sure the past couple of years his career has been so-so, but i'd say he's still a pretty popular name and for sure one of the most, or maybe even THE most, popular name in MF this year.

Last edited:

Schlagerman1

@A-lister well I wouldn't be surprised if The Mamas wins, but I do have a gutfeeling that SVT really don't want to send them to ESC this time and will try to give them a hard time winning, probably by giving them as bad of a song as possible...but I could be wrong of course. The problem I have with Dotter is not her performance per say, it is more her star quality. I felt that it was the only thing that was lacking for me to really support it, cause just looking solely on the song, then Bulletproof was probably the best song of all 28 last year. I doubt though that she could write an even better one this year and that will disappoint a few people I think.

I looked through the results and the last time we had a swedish song in the top 3, that wasn't sung by Jon Henrik Fjällgren, was Caroline Af Ugglas "Snälla Snälla" in 2009. Some has been close, like Samir & Viktors "Shuffla" in 2017 who ended 4th. Surely SVT has some part of the blame that the swedish songs selected often are pretty bad, but I don't think it is the whole truth though. Sweden is after all has one of the strongest english speaking population in the world and we get to learn it at young years already. We are just used to the english language in a way that I don't think not even the other nordic countries even come close too (maybe probably the Netherlands are the one in Europe that has a higher percentage of it). That means that both artists and music lovers, just listens and sings more to english songs than swedish ones. Surely it has changed a bit the last decade, with more and more swedish songs in the charts especially in genres like RnB and Hiphop, but it is still a long way to go before it is totally accepted by the general masses.

Also, after all, it is a competition and the Swedes that vote in Melodifestivalen finals do think about Eurovision a lot when they vote. Swedes are after all a pretty proud people, we don't want send whatever to the contest. It has to be firstly a song that we like, but also a song that doesn't let us down when the competition is held in May. We want something that will feel secure and stable, modern with a strong hook, sung by a performer that is very professional, but still conveys some sort of emotion. Our proudness when in comes to ESC is a strong advantage point (just look at the results, we are by far the most successful country in the contest during the 2010s), but it might also be seen as pretty boring and predictable (the pretty bad televoting results these last years may be a result of that). Sure I would like to see us experiment some more. I enjoyed a lot when we went for Malena Ernman in 2009, cause that was the most insane sounding song in swedish history, probably only beaten by Lasse Holm & Monica Thörnell in 1986 (check out that performance, it is unbelievable to think that has been a swedish entry!!!). And even if I never liked Frans song, I could see it as something slightly different and a bold move by us and I can accept it. Sending the Mamas a third time in a row is for me way too safe of a choice and I can totally see that get punished in a televote, if not the song is amazing, then sure, I can live with it. But I can wish sometimes that the swedish people would go for something weird and fun....that is why I in the end gave the most app votes to Anis Don Demina this year...cause it was the only song that actually gave me something when it all came to it in the 2020 final. xcookie

A-lister

Veteran
@A-lister well I wouldn't be surprised if The Mamas wins, but I do have a gutfeeling that SVT really don't want to send them to ESC this time and will try to give them a hard time winning, probably by giving them as bad of a song as possible...but I could be wrong of course. The problem I have with Dotter is not her performance per say, it is more her star quality. I felt that it was the only thing that was lacking for me to really support it, cause just looking solely on the song, then Bulletproof was probably the best song of all 28 last year. I doubt though that she could write an even better one this year and that will disappoint a few people I think.

I looked through the results and the last time we had a swedish song in the top 3, that wasn't sung by Jon Henrik Fjällgren, was Caroline Af Ugglas "Snälla Snälla" in 2009. Some has been close, like Samir & Viktors "Shuffla" in 2017 who ended 4th. Surely SVT has some part of the blame that the swedish songs selected often are pretty bad, but I don't think it is the whole truth though. Sweden is after all has one of the strongest english speaking population in the world and we get to learn it at young years already. We are just used to the english language in a way that I don't think not even the other nordic countries even come close too (maybe probably the Netherlands are the one in Europe that has a higher percentage of it). That means that both artists and music lovers, just listens and sings more to english songs than swedish ones. Surely it has changed a bit the last decade, with more and more swedish songs in the charts especially in genres like RnB and Hiphop, but it is still a long way to go before it is totally accepted by the general masses.

Also, after all, it is a competition and the Swedes that vote in Melodifestivalen finals do think about Eurovision a lot when they vote. Swedes are after all a pretty proud people, we don't want send whatever to the contest. It has to be firstly a song that we like, but also a song that doesn't let us down when the competition is held in May. We want something that will feel secure and stable, modern with a strong hook, sung by a performer that is very professional, but still conveys some sort of emotion. Our proudness when in comes to ESC is a strong advantage point (just look at the results, we are by far the most successful country in the contest during the 2010s), but it might also be seen as pretty boring and predictable (the pretty bad televoting results these last years may be a result of that). Sure I would like to see us experiment some more. I enjoyed a lot when we went for Malena Ernman in 2009, cause that was the most insane sounding song in swedish history, probably only beaten by Lasse Holm & Monica Thörnell in 1986 (check out that performance, it is unbelievable to think that has been a swedish entry!!!). And even if I never liked Frans song, I could see it as something slightly different and a bold move by us and I can accept it. Sending the Mamas a third time in a row is for me way too safe of a choice and I can totally see that get punished in a televote, if not the song is amazing, then sure, I can live with it. But I can wish sometimes that the swedish people would go for something weird and fun....that is why I in the end gave the most app votes to Anis Don Demina this year...cause it was the only song that actually gave me something when it all came to it in the 2020 final. xcookie

I hear you, to some degree I can agree, especially the part that we are competitive minded when it comes to Eurovision and end up voting not necessarily for the song we like the most but the one we believe will have the strongest chances and thus end up voting for some Pop entry in English which has the most overall appeal, but just like you point out it has also backfired as we come across as unauthentic and tbh there is a risk we might be so predictable and boring that we won't qualify if we continue like this every year.

As for the English, it's part true, but in the past decade or so Swedish language music is taking over and it's not just HipHop and R&B, just look at the biggest hits this year domestically and you will find out they are in Swedish and not English (and this has been an ongoing trend for the past decade that is just growing stronger), so it's the MF team that don't keep up with the times and not so much the public, but again if the lineup is purposely chosen in a way to have bad entries in Swedish then it gives the public no other choice than to vote for English stuff that is comparably better.

As for Swedes being one of the best non-native English speakers in the world and that English has a big influence here it's true, but we're also falling behind here and I think the latest stats show that both Norway and Denmark surpassed us in terms of general English knowledge, so the times when we and Netherlands were the top.2 is past us.

In hindsight, Anis Don Denima turned out to be one of the best entries of the 2020 edition, in fact my top.3 with Dotter and Anna, and while something like that could struggle with the juries in Eurovision, I think it would do much better with the televotes than our previous entries did even if it's in Swedish and this is why I have hope for Danny this year, I could be wrong, but I think he will deliver the fun uptempo Swedish party banger this year and maybe, just maybe, combined with his name recognition we might have our first Swedish language win in years... but contrary to what you wrote I think SVT will want The Mamas to win and the public will vote for them simply for feeling "sorry" for them for loosing out on ESC 2020.

Last edited:

Mrm

Veteran
This can be really an interesting line up..

The Mamas and Tusse Chiza sound by far the most promising till now.. :)

Tusse Chiza's vocals are perfection.. xlove xheart

Mimmon

I found this song in my phone and I forgot it existed....
What a banger,doing some research I didn't found who sang it but it got Disqualified in P4 Nasta 2020
Imagine this type of song from Sweden to represent them in Eurovison 2021.....
P.S my friend helped me to find the artist name

DanielLuis

When will SVT announce the semi-final distributions? It's so weird being one month away from the show and not knowing that

Ezio

I just listened to Crash by Tusse and got genuinely bored and left the youtube after 1:30.

njdevils94

Melodifestivalen 2021 Semifinal Running-Order

Semifinal 1
1. Kadiatou
2. Lillasyster
3. Jessica Andersson
4. Paul Rey
5. Arvingarna
6. Nathalie Brydolf
7. Danny Saucedo

Semifinal 2
1. Anton Ewald
2. Julia Alfrida
3. Sami feat. Wahl
4. Frida Green
5. Eva Rydberg & Ewa Roos
6. Patrik Jean
7. Dotter

Semifinal 3
1. Charlotte Perrelli
2. Emil Assergård
3. Klara Hammarström
4. Mustasch
5. Elisa Lindström
6. Alvaro Estrella
7. Tusse

Semifinal 4
1. Tess Merkel
2. Lovad
3. Efraim Leo
4. The Mamas
5. Sannex
6. Clara Klingenström
7. Eric Saade

rasmuslights

my predictions:
first semi final - DF: Danny and Jessica. AC: Paul Rey and Kadiatou - probably Arvingarna will replace one of them (maybe even Nathalie will qualify)
second semi final - DF: Dotter and Anton Ewald. AC: Frida Green and Patrik Jean, maybe even Julia.
third semi final - DF: Tusse and Alvaro. AC: Klara and Charlotte
fourth semi final - DF: Eric and the Mamas. AC: Efraim Leo and don't know maybe Sannex, the second AC is more open..

EscUKFan

I’m going with..

Heat 1:
DTF - Danny, Paul
AC - Nathalie, Arvingarna

Heat 2:
DTF - Anton, Dotter
AC - Patrik, Frida

Heat 3:
DTF - Tusse, Alvaro
AC - Klara, Mustasch

Heat 4:
DTF - Eric, Mamas
AC - Tess, Efraim

Mrm

Veteran
OMG I somehow felt Tusse Chiza will rock this year, he will close the third semi.. xlove xheart
Everything else is expected to close the semi – Danny Saucedo, Dotter and Eric Saade (duuuh), and The Mamas' song is called "In the middle" so what else could we expect!? :p :lol:

Ezio

I have a feeling they will go all in on Tusse with a song written for and rejected by The Weeknd. Would fit the Swedish scheme of going with what’s successful on the charts.

Ezio

I am guessing and getting disgusted by the guess. lol

Top Bottom