Can you hear them
A million voices voices
Can you hear them
A million voices voices
Can you hear them
A million voices​

Last edited by a moderator:

DanielLuis

Good that you bring up Tom Leeb because that's exactly my point here. What you often times read in that thread was "Oh my God, a a basic Swedish pop song, Melodifestivalen reject" etc. Suddenly it was important that the songwriters were in fact Swedish.

Now look at Senhit's thread. Typical Swedish song – is it important here? Of course not! Queen Senhit, slay us all, we like that entry!

Ain't that quite ironic? :)
The question here is, how is "Adrenalina" a typical Swedish song? When has Sweden ever sent anything resembling that?
Most people on this thread aren't complaining about Swedish composers as a whole, like Portuguese, German, American or whatever composers, they can do all sorts of styles both good and bad. It's just the fact that Sweden itself is sending a slightly different version of the same safe entry for a few years now.

Loindici

Veteran
They mentioned Switzerland who came 4th (!) in 2019 with a song that’s generic, such as Sweden, a male fuego copy with absymal vocals and a professional stage show? They did well because they followed the trend of what’s working in Eurovision, that’s how the competition has been lately

That's a good, good point you have there, but aside of the professional stage show, 🇨🇭 did right in 2019 because of:
- 'She Got Me' being something different to what 🇨🇭 usually sends in the past... 10 years, perhaps?
- bringing Luca Hanni which has a pretty high commercial appeal and generates buzz for Switzerland

Back to the privilege thing, I do feel there are some countries with privileges in certain aspects of the competition, but usually for good reasons. 🇷🇺, for example, will usually have a good televoting support from post-Soviet countries that they have a big influence on. 🇮🇹 also have this big televote support due to the quality of songs, which stems from the quality of SanRemo and the winners they usually pick. 🇸🇪 are popular with the juries since they, as Boris and you mentioned, usually sends professionally-made stage shows with a professionally-handed song (also mentioning Ezio's comment that the jury list majorly consists of record-company-related individuals, which could have an influence on how a 'professional' entry is approached). But aside of those, it all comes back to the things they offered to the Eurovision Song Contest. If these countries have a good tried-and-true formula to the contest and keep meeting their expectations, they'll mostly will succeed.

midnightsun

Veteran
The question here is, how is "Adrenalina" a typical Swedish song? When has Sweden ever sent anything resembling that?
Most people on this thread aren't complaining about Swedish composers as a whole, like Portuguese, German, American or whatever composers, they can do all sorts of styles both good and bad. It's just the fact that Sweden itself is sending a slightly different version of the same safe entry for a few years now.

To be fair, other countries are sending the same entries in different versions for years too. Since the 2000s there have been the usual „dancing girls“ plastic pop songs. You know, which are supposed to be sexy. Short skirts, tight clothes, girls looking the same type. This isn’t any less „generic“ than the Swedish. Nor is it worse in any kind. Every target audience has their faves.

The juries were a bit too much in favor of Sweden the past years. Undoubtedly. But why is that? Because a part of the public had been a bit too much in favor of certain Eastern European countries or style of songs since the 2000s. They needed to balance this out. So there was obviously that unspoken secret it had to be Sweden as the other side of the scale. And the reason is obvious: no country is that involved in Eurovision! Before 2010 they had barely any good songs except for the early 2000s but these were always overshadowed by the televote being always in favor of Eastern European countries.
And I‘m not talking about winners only. Songs from Eastern Europe that would definitely not have survived the semis the last decade were flooding the top 15 back in the days. Some deserved, some undeserved. And this was a big issue because you might remember there was a time the top 10 got a free spot in Eurovision the upcoming year without having to go through semis. Of course Western Europe was pissed.

Now that things have been going the opposite in favor of Sweden, people were rightfully pissed too. Many here are too young to get what happened pre 2010 and don’t get why Sweden was favoured. But I think it’s also time to stop being so generous to Sweden.

I think with a new decade now it’s time to stop bias towards Sweden AND Eastern Europe. EACH of the songs has its right to be there! NONE of the songs are more generic than the other.

It‘s time for the JURIES to think about how to end that bias. They are not helpful the way they are now. They aren’t there to stop bias towards anyone. I wouldn’t want to abolish juries completely. But the way they are now, they aren’t doing any good to Eurovision.

And stop hating on Sweden! One decade of bashing is enough now.

Ezio

Veteran
LOL, I remember Eurovision 2007 Semifinal. My pparents were hardly invested in EUrovision, but they were like "WTF is going on", when the semifinalists were announced. They were so disappointed and so was I. It was obscene Rigga Morris. My dad had it officially, when Moldova was called as the last country. Wasn't bothered watching the final. It was disgusting.

Now we are disgusted how Rigga Morris plays our in favour of Sweden. They get to do what they want with Eurovision and get away with it. Some countries like Armenia appear to vote for Sweden, because they think it makes them look better. Poor pets.

I consider Voices weaker as Believe or Running Scared, and these winners were outrageous already. It is on par with Everybody (2001) at best. Let's see how this turns all out.

Melfest is dead to me, too, after the execution of Dotter. It already looked like Melfest is struggling to complete a line up of 28 songs, with the same cliché songs year after year, but Dotter's failing is not only discouraging to herself, but to any upcoming (female) artist in Sweden. Why would an artist ready for international fame trust the Gods of SVT now?

Guys like Tusse aren't ready for international fame. Young black men with an immigrant storyline who happen to have a singing voice are nothing special, no one cares. They are in every X-Factor show. Denmark could have almost sent the blueprint of him to Eurovision. It's a generic act with a generic song.

Dotter exuded a natural exquisiteness and aura, she has such star power and she had the best song two years in a row.

Realest

Dotter was out of Tune and Breath several Times.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
This one also opens up a funny conversation. Would you say that Azerbaijan's entry of 2014, "Start A Fire", was kind of cultural representative? Because I'd say yes, that was anything but a "generic pop song". Wanna know who wrote it? Three Swedes xshock1:

Really sad to see how "Typical Swedish" has become a term to downgrade a song. Just goes to show how shallow most of the criticism is – it's only Swedish when it's bad, because when it's good, we don't need to mention it – or don't dive deeper into the topic and are ignorant about it.

"Start A Fire", cultural representative? Yes and no. It had beautiful haunting elements that certainly did feel representative (usage of balaban), but at its core it was a slightly jazzy ballad in English, a beautiful one though may I add. Could they though not have done that all by themselves, perhaps even better with more authenticity? I'd say yes. Lovely song regardless, putting the live performance of it to one side.

I agree that it wouldn't harm at all to celebrate the positives more of things sounding typically Swedish cause when Sweden are on they kick butt and are unrivalled. But how big of a deal is it really? Take my country for instance. Every year it's another "typical British entry", and it doesn't bother me. In fact I'm always agreeing. This year for once I'm pleased with what my country is going to send. Still though it receives a lot of the same comments. My care levels though are simply non existent (thick skin perhaps). Sweden have become known for a very specific, highly polished to within an inch of its life pop sound. It can benefit a song (Bulletproof for example), other times it appears flavourless more or less (that's subjective of course). I personally have used "sounds Swedish" many times over the years to compliment songs I've heard in other selections that have charmed me. At the same time Tusse's winning entry I find just too formulaic and predictable in a way that doesn't deliver me any enjoyment. Voices is typical of what wins Melodifestivalen (for me personally it's a step down even) and that's why it's hard for some of us to feel excitement.

It's about what you do with your song. It doesn't matter so much if something is generic. A lot of songs I love at the contest I would consider generic. It's about how you take something that's normal and lift it up so that it's not an excruciatingly dull three minutes, something I believe Adrenalina manages and then some. Voices for me does not do that.

Last edited:

midnightsun

Veteran
It's a generic act with a generic song.

And that‘s what we‘re talking about.

Is it generic? Yes.

Does it mean it’s bad? Depends, on your taste. But not because it‘s generic. Unless 'generic' is something you don’t like in songs.

But then again, and that‘s why the discussion came up in first place, why do some people think Sweden is generic but Adrenalinadiablomataharilocosugarticktocks are not! ;)

It was criticized the word generic has been used as something negativ for quite a while when certain countries (mainly Sweden) are sending songs that fall into that category.

While it totally doesn’t matter when other certain countries (Cyprus, Serbia, Moldova, Azerbaijan etc.) are sending songs that fall into that category too.

So all I‘m saying, whether I agree or not, that I get why this criticism came up.

You could debate how either both parties* are lazy or just accept both parties are trying to satisfy their target audience. So for the sake of love for Eurovision and respecting all countries I would rather like to think about the second option.

*parties as in countries like Sweden or countries like the others I mentioned.

————————

Off topic: 2007, what a year! I disliked it so much back then; many years it was one of the worst contests for me. But when I re-listened a few years ago it turned out it had become one of my favorite contests.

Franzilein

As I was saying, is "typical Swedish" for you only what Sweden sends, and only if you don't like it? Because "typical Swedish" goes way beyond that. What is Swedish about Adrenalina? ... Everything? :lol: The bird who sings it isn't Swedish, that's all. But ignorance is bliss.

"that Sweden itself is sending a slightly different version of the same safe entry for a few years now" – also a very ignorant statement which just speaks volumes about musical understanding :lol: What does Heroes have in common with If I Were Sorry? What does Dance You Off have in common with Too Late For Love and I Can't Go On? Now I'm really curious, the stage is yours xpopcorn

P.S. ThEy'Re aLL poP sOonGz WHIccH ii PeRsOnaLLy dOn't LiKe, TaStes ArE dIfferEnt aFter aLL

Franzilein

"Start A Fire", cultural representative? Yes and no. It had beautiful haunting elements that certainly did feel representative (usage of balaban), but at its core it was a slightly jazzy ballad in English, a beautiful one though may I add. Could they though not have done that all by themselves, perhaps even better with more authenticity? I'd say yes. Lovely song regardless, putting the live performance of it to one side.

I agree that it wouldn't harm at all to celebrate the positives more of things sounding typically Swedish cause when Sweden are on they kick butt and are unrivalled. But how big of a deal is it really? Take my country for instance. Every year it's another "typical British entry", and it doesn't bother me. In fact I'm always agreeing. This year for once I'm pleased with what my country is going to send. Still though it receives a lot of the same comments. My care levels though are simply non existent (thick skin perhaps). Sweden have become known for a very specific, highly polished to within an inch of its life pop sound. It can benefit a song (Bulletproof for example), other times it appears flavourless more or less (that's subjective of course). I personally have used "sounds Swedish" many times over the years to compliment songs I've heard in other selections that have charmed me. At the same time Tusse's winning entry I find just too formulaic and predictable in a way that doesn't deliver me any enjoyment. Voices is typical of what wins Melodifestivalen (for me personally it's a step down even) and that's why it's hard for some of us to feel excitement.

It's about what you do with your song. It doesn't matter so much if something is generic. A lot of songs I love at the contest I would consider generic. It's about how you take something that's normal and lift it up so that it's not an excruciatingly dull three minutes, something I believe Adrenalina manages and then some. Voices for me does not do that.

See, if people were as delicate and reflective in their comments as you, this community could be so charming. But no, "haha garbage, typical Swedish, ruins the contest durgh – but let me enjoy my bops without knowing they are just as much typical Swedish and in fact are brightening my ESC experience". Sigh...

What's jazzy about Start A Fire though? :lol:

Last edited:

harey

I don't want to argue and won't answer if you mention me on this but it makes me feel very uncomfortable to read that his victory is due to BLM or anti-racist "brain washing" media coverage.

All these years watching esc with 95% white representatives and now some people here just speak as if being black was a privilege or "oh I'm colour blind that's why I never posted anything concerning racism but now that a song I don't like won a nf I will say it's because of anti-racist propaganda" stuffs.

Edit : I don't want to start a debate or anything, I was just feeling very uncomfortable reading this and wanted to tell it.

Last edited:

BorisBubbles

Veteran
Race (or gender for that matter) had zero to do with Sweden's melfest winners. John has the winning package in 2019, the Mamas were indisputably the best vocalists in 2020, and Tusse easily had one of the better performances of the night. Pure coincidence that all three of them happened to be bipoc.

Sweden vote based on the music they hear and the performances they see, without any apparent biases beyond a slight pro-male bias in certain categories of the app vote. The rest is just inflammatory nonsense that pits groups against each other.

GermanBango

Haha as every year the Sweden thread is a massive salt mine. :lol:
I find it rather amusing that certain people feel the need to annually lift their own favorites up by telling people how basic and bland the Swedish entry is. It has become somewhat of a "must do" on here to bash Sweden in Eurovision which is rather stupid tbh. Do I get that people are pissed about Sweden usually doing (too) well with the juries? Jup. But then again where are you guys when e.g. Russia slays the televoting year after year with songs that a monkey could have written? This entire discussions just seems like a waste of time really. Just get over it already.

Last edited:

Iker

Veteran
Year after year I end up thinking Swedish entries cannot get any blander than that, and then they strike again with something even blander :sleep:

If this was sent by pretty much any other country than Sweden or Russia, it would be a safe NQ in my books.

They managed to outbland all their bland entries of recent years. That's quite a feat I dare to say!

Loindici

Veteran
Now that I have time to write my verdict... oh, Sweden.

Look, Melodifestivalen has been one of the national finals I am anticipated with (unironically or ironically) since I followed Eurovision religiously from 2019. One of my peeves towards Melodifestivalen, however, is in a land of 28 songs (which is a LOT), the final results can sometimes baffle or shock you. Maybe it's because I'm not a Swede, however, I can't understand the preferences of the general Melfest audience.

Looking at 'Voices' I noticed how it's a universally-appealing package. You got a song with an anthemic New York-esque type of beat, with a universal message of power and unity, which can appeal easily to a lot of age groups. Adding to that, it is also very radio-ready, something you might hear on the radio with a big commercial appeal. I think adding Tusse to the package fits the vibe of the song, and supported with a very convincing stage presentation done by the Jean-Baptiste Group, there you go, a winner package on paper.

Which brings me to the negative points. The claim 'an anthemic New York-esque type of beat, with a universal message' screams so loud of Alicia Keys, but this is somehow a bad attempt of recreating a Keys anthem since it suffers so much from very predictable elements in both songwriting and composition. It's as if they're analysing Keys' anthems and take the core elements without really enhancing them, resulting in (not generic, but) a cheesy product. 'Can you hear a million voices/ we got a million choices', 'forget the haters', 'make it matter' 'go ahead and sing it out', is unfortunately as cheesy or cliche'd as it gets, and unfortunately I'm not adding extra harshness into my impression. The base of Am-C-G-F, The anthemic 'voices voices' chant, and the dramatic key change, also adds to the extra cheesiness. So instead of being a complete winner package, it goes downhill to a Disney teenage life movie soundtrack. Hey, at least that still proves its appeal, don't Disney soundtracks have that palatability factor?

Regarding its chances, umm, it might succeed, I guess? Tusse is, judging from his performance video, a good live performer, but needs to have some more coaching on his choreography because I do feel he's over-shaking/overdoing his hand moves at times. If they're able to polish him (and keep the staging as professional) before Eurovision, he could be an even bigger threat on the competition.

What's my final score, though? :5: with a generous amount of bless. If we are forbidden on using 'bland' or 'generic', then I'm gonna use 'cheesy'. After getting delightful winners like 'Dance You Off', 'Too Late for Love', or 'Move', I'm let down on this one.

Gitte

I don't want to argue and won't answer if you mention me on this but it makes me feel very uncomfortable to read that his victory is due to BLM or anti-racist "brain washing" media coverage.

All these years watching esc with 95% white representatives and now some people here just speak as if being black was a privilege or "oh I'm colour blind that's why I never posted anything concerning racism but now that a song I don't like won a nf I will say it's because of anti-racist propaganda" stuffs.

Edit : I don't want to start a debate or anything, I was just feeling very uncomfortable reading this and wanted to tell it.
This
Race (or gender for that matter) had zero to do with Sweden's melfest winners. John has the winning package in 2019, the Mamas were indisputably the best vocalists in 2020, and Tusse easily had one of the better performances of the night. Pure coincidence that all three of them happened to be bipoc.

Sweden vote based on the music they hear and the performances they see, without any apparent biases beyond a slight pro-male bias in certain categories of the app vote. The rest is just inflammatory nonsense that pits groups against each other.
And this.

I have read several comments saying that he just won because he's black and the mama's are and John Lundvik is and...wtf. Maybe they're just good singers/performers (or most people think so) deal with it.

Iker

Veteran
They are so bland, that they get 8 Top7s in 9 Years.

And ... does it change how I feel abou them? No.

The juries love to overrate Sweden. Their tracks are well-produced bland pop numbers for the most part. This is much worse than 'Dance You Off' and I was not a fan of that either.

Top Bottom