Can you hear them
A million voices voices
Can you hear them
A million voices voices
Can you hear them
A million voices​

Last edited by a moderator:

Franzilein

San Marino's song is imho way more catchy (and has an intriguing, very lush beat with ethnic sound that makes my body move, the hook is very strong as we)ll and that entry is more current than 'Voices' which sounds like forgettable radio filler from 2010. Moreover 'Voices' sounds like 3 other Melfast entries from ~2010-2015 blended together to produce this highly generic, anonymous product devoided of soul. 'Adrenalina' on the other hand does not remind me any Melfast songs all that much.

Funny you say this when the person who wrote Adrenalina is also responsible for many songs in Melodifestivalen, e.g. Heroes and Don't Worry. But is "Typical Swedish" synonymous for "Generic MF Pop Song I don't like" here or what? Ridiculous how parts of this community celebrate songs like Adrenalina, She Got Me, Fuego, Beautiful Mess, you name 'em, when they're also (partly) written by Swedish songwriters, yet you never see the "Typical Swedish" quotes there (in a positive light, may I add). Such a one-way street to shit on one of the biggest music nations in the world. ESC fandom being ESC fandom again ~ ♥

EDIT: AAAAaaaaalsooooo – speaking in musical terms, the harmonics in "Adrenalina" are as "generic" as it gets. But when there's a key change to major (& it's not even the parallel you'd expect to make it more spicy) in Voices which makes it less "generic", it's also perceived as something irritating. So eh...

EDIT EDIT (lol): They transposed Voices a semitone step up in the end, had to check up myself. So the sound became brighter to enhance the message because they got rid of some minor (flat) chords. Nice.

Last edited:

Grinch

If this was the entry of Latvia/Switzerland/Croatia/you name it, it would stuck in the bottom of the semi.
But it's Sweden's entry so the jury will butter it up first, then will eat as a whole.

Tell me about justice.

Preuss

If this was the entry of Latvia/Switzerland/Croatia/you name it, it would stuck in the bottom of the semi.
But it's Sweden's entry so the jury will butter it up first, then will eat as a whole.

Tell me about justice.

I don't know if I pity those who actually believe this xthink

Loindici

Veteran
I don't know if I pity those who actually believe this xthink

There's a thing called privilege, though, and some countries might benefit from certain privileges than others.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
And then the community wildly celebrates songs by Swedish writers like Bulletproof and Behöver inte dig idag which aren't picked for Eurovision. At the same time where was the support for Tom Leeb with his Swedish song? Some songs can feel bland. That's all it is. Comparing Adrenalina with Voices is like comparing apples with oranges. When was the last time Sweden sent something a little coocoo with such flavour? It's just mid-tempo after mid-tempo but the plainest, safest ones always pretty much and that spark has been fading for me. It's predictable and tiring for some of us. I wasn't crazy for this particular soup to begin with and I'm bored of it by now after having been served it for years, and I dislike it just as much when other countries bring it to me with the exact same recipe (in fact, I usually give Sweden more leeway cause of their performances and polish). Sweden have done a lot of great for the contest, and they've still got a special place in my heart (I was a Melodifestivalen fan before I was a Eurovision one) but gosh, I wish I found their own offerings of late more exciting. If Sweden just took a risk once in a while, or in some cases even just grabbed onto the gold they have right there in front of them, well, I think it would be great, not only just for varieties sake. But eh, it's their choice of course, and they do well year after year so it works.

Iker

Veteran
Funny you say this when the person who wrote Adrenalina is also responsible for many songs in Melodifestivalen, e.g. Heroes and Don't Worry. But is "Typical Swedish" synonymous for "Generic MF Pop Song I don't like" here or what? Ridiculous how parts of this community celebrate songs like Adrenalina, She Got Me, Fuego, Beautiful Mess, you name 'em, when they're also (partly) written by Swedish songwriters, yet you never see the "Typical Swedish" quotes there (in a positive light, may I add). Such a one-way street to shit on one of the biggest music nations in the world. ESC fandom being ESC fandom again ~ ♥

EDIT: AAAAaaaaalsooooo – speaking in musical terms, the harmonics in "Adrenalina" are as "generic" as it gets. But when there's a key change to major (& it's not even the parallel you'd expect to make it more spicy) in Voices which makes it less "generic", it's also perceived as something irritating. So eh...
I like many ESC entries that one can describe as generic too and I actually s use those synonyms by you, but 'Heroes' and 'Adrenalina' are much more pleasant and impactful than dull 'Voices' for me. Plus 'Adrenalina', 'Fuego' are uptempos and this one is quite clearly mid-tempo so there are more differences. Everything about 'Voices' I find flat-out lame. But at the end of the day it boils down to our different tastes and Sweden this year is not in my taste.

Last edited:

midnightsun

Veteran
I think we‘re talking about the bias here that random #slayqueen songs, some of them even written and produced by Swedes, are celebrated while the real Swedish songs, which are often the same mediocre soup, are receiving hate for being „generic“.
That‘s what I got from reading some posts here.

While I wouldn’t go that far it’s true there is a certain bias here. It‘s okay, there are different „bubbles“ (I know you dislike the word) within the bubble. I am used to certain users stanning certain „queens“. ;)

But don’t (not addressed to you but in general) play like the slay queens are any less generic than Tusse. They aren‘t. Both tend to appeal to a larger audience.

/edit: I‘m refering to Rainy‘s post

daniels1000

Year after year I end up thinking Swedish entries cannot get any blander than that, and then they strike again with something even blander :sleep:

If this was sent by pretty much any other country than Sweden or Russia, it would be a safe NQ in my books.

Realest

In an ideal World, hard Work and Professionality gets rewarded with Respect and Appreciation, not with Jealousy.

A-lister

Veteran
In an ideal World, hard Work and Professionality gets rewarded with Respect and Appreciation, not with Jealousy.

As it should, but you also need to deliver a product worthy of that respect and appreciation...

A-lister

Veteran
And :se: delivered the last 9 Years.

Sometimes yes, sometimes not, this year not... but taste differs of course... but I can totally see why people are bored, if people are jealous because the effort we put in staging etc. then it's just sad, but if they find our entries bland and we do get this jury support over and over again I can understand why it pi**es people off tbh

Preuss

There's a thing called privilege, though, and some countries might benefit from certain privileges than others.

A privilege that makes a difference of winning a semi or place bottom three? Yikes no

They mentioned Switzerland who came 4th (!) in 2019 with a song that’s generic, such as Sweden, a male fuego copy with absymal vocals and a professional stage show? They did well because they followed the trend of what’s working in Eurovision, that’s how the competition has been lately

then as people have already mentioned, too bad the juries vote this way

Franzilein

And then the community wildly celebrates songs by Swedish writers like Bulletproof and Behöver inte dig idag which aren't picked for Eurovision. At the same time where was the support for Tom Leeb with his Swedish song? Some songs can feel bland. That's all it is. Comparing Adrenalina with Voices is like comparing apples with oranges. When was the last time Sweden sent something a little coocoo with such flavour? It's just mid-tempo after mid-tempo but the plainest, safest ones always pretty much and that spark has been fading for me. It's predictable and tiring for some of us. I wasn't crazy for this particular soup to begin with and I'm bored of it by now after having been served it for years, and I dislike it just as much when other countries bring it to me with the exact same recipe (in fact, I usually give Sweden more leeway cause of their performances and polish). Sweden have done a lot of great for the contest, and they've still got a special place in my heart (I was a Melodifestivalen fan before I was a Eurovision one) but gosh, I wish I found their own offerings of late more exciting. If Sweden just took a risk once in a while, or in some cases even just grabbed onto the gold they have right there in front of them, well, I think it would be great, not only just for varieties sake. But eh, it's their choice of course, and they do well year after year so it works.

Good that you bring up Tom Leeb because that's exactly my point here. What you often times read in that thread was "Oh my God, a a basic Swedish pop song, Melodifestivalen reject" etc. Suddenly it was important that the songwriters were in fact Swedish.

Now look at Senhit's thread. Typical Swedish song – is it important here? Of course not! Queen Senhit, slay us all, we like that entry!

Ain't that quite ironic? :)

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
I think we‘re talking about the bias here that random #slayqueen songs, some of them even written and produced by Swedes, are celebrated while the real Swedish songs, which are often the same mediocre soup, are receiving hate for being „generic“.
That‘s what I got from reading some posts here.

While I wouldn’t go that far it’s true there is a certain bias here. It‘s okay, there are different „bubbles“ (I know you dislike the word) within the bubble. I am used to certain users stanning certain „queens“. ;)

But don’t (not addressed to you but in general) play like the slay queens are any less generic than Tusse. They aren‘t. Both tend to appeal to a larger audience.

/edit: I‘m refering to Rainy‘s post

It's true that both styles can be generic, but then it's what you inject into the experience to make it special. I feel like each song deserves a clean slate and to be judged by its own merits.

I'm usually not the exact main target audience for these as you put them slayqueen songs. Fuego for instance wasn't for me but at the same time I had mad respect for what it was doing, and what it brought to the contest. I could understand it. The sensation around the entry made a lot of sense. It was easy to piece it all together. Voices meanwhile is a struggle for me. If it was in a UK national final being performed by Michael Rice or something in my opinion it would be getting roasted and languishing near the bottom of the odds.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Good that you bring up Tom Leeb because that's exactly my point here. What you often times read in that thread was "Oh my God, a a basic Swedish pop song, Melodifestivalen reject" etc. Suddenly it was important that the songwriters were in fact Swedish.

Now look at Senhit's thread. Typical Swedish song – is it important here? Of course not! Queen Senhit, slay us all, we like that entry!

Ain't that quite ironic? :)

I think because people are perplexed by a country such as France needing to import songwriters. It makes no sense and furthermore he was given such a bland entry. I feel like this all started (or at least became noticeable) with Azerbaijan, a country that could have been giving the contest a slice of their culture each year instead opting to import Swedish songs, and soon others started to follow. It's noticeable.

You raise a point though, although I wouldn't have thought of Adrenalina sounding like a typical Swedish song at all. I for one didn't even know that Senhit's song was Swedish as I never looked into it, and so well done Sweden for giving San Marino such a bubbly and colourful song. Now treat yourself to one please.

midnightsun

Veteran
It's true that both styles can be generic, but then it's what you inject into the experience to make it special. I feel like each song deserves a clean slate and to be judged by its own merits.

I'm usually not the exact main target audience for these as you put them slayqueen songs. Fuego for instance wasn't for me but at the same time I had mad respect for what it was doing, and what it brought to the contest. I could understand it. The sensation around the entry made a lot of sense. It was easy to piece it all together. Voices meanwhile is a struggle for me. If it was in a UK national final being performed by Michael Rice or something in my opinion it would be getting roasted and languishing near the bottom of the odds.

Maybe it’s the whole selling package. The artist, his background story, the song, the message. Michael Rice would not have the same impact. You‘re right. But not because he‘s British.

As for me, I like bops and slayqueens as much as Thomas G:son and Kirkorov. I like outdated songs as much as experimental stuff. Contemporary and retro. If the song is good, it’s good. It’s often the whole package. A little bit less bias would be nice sometimes.

Franzilein

I think because people are perplexed by a country such as France needing to import songwriters. It makes no sense and furthermore he was given such a bland entry. I feel like this all started (or at least became noticeable) with Azerbaijan, a country that could have been giving the contest a slice of their culture each year instead opting to import Swedish songs, and soon others started to follow. It's noticeable.

You raise a point though, although I wouldn't have thought of Adrenalina sounding like a typical Swedish song at all. I for one didn't even know that Senhit's song was Swedish as I never looked into it, and so well done Sweden for giving San Marino such a bubbly and colourful song. Now treat yourself to one please.

This one also opens up a funny conversation. Would you say that Azerbaijan's entry of 2014, "Start A Fire", was kind of cultural representative? Because I'd say yes, that was anything but a "generic pop song". Wanna know who wrote it? Three Swedes xshock1:

Really sad to see how "Typical Swedish" has become a term to downgrade a song. Just goes to show how shallow most of the criticism is – it's only Swedish when it's bad, because when it's good, we don't need to mention it – or don't dive deeper into the topic and are ignorant about it.

Preuss

This one also opens up a funny conversation. Would you say that Azerbaijan's entry of 2014, "Start A Fire", was kind of cultural representative? Because I'd say yes, that was anything but a "generic pop song". Wanna know who wrote it? Three Swedes xshock1:

Really sad to see how "Typical Swedish" has become a term to downgrade a song. Just goes to show how shallow most of the criticism is – it's only Swedish when it's bad, because when it's good, we don't need to mention it – or don't dive deeper into the topic and are ignorant about it.

hail hail hail

Top Bottom