7 3.7%

6 3.2%

28 15.0%

• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
Sweden-scaled.jpg

Mii11

Can we have something in Swedish this time please? Something like 'Handerna mot himlen' would be perfect for Eurovision!

LalehForWD

I hear you, I understand that labels are involved, that's not really my issue, however many of these songwriters are almost like "in-house MF songwriters", sure some of them have some sort of career outside of the MF bubble, but many of them are simply sustaining there careers with MF and MF-related acts that have little life outside of its bubble. This is an issue I stressed plenty of times and even when SVT try to add "diversity", it just doesn't seem very sincere tbh and often forced. Like I always said, why are the acts put there in Swedish almost always joke entries or chanceless stuff? Why are the other "genres" often badly picked to make the "in-house" songwriters' stuff look better in comparison so we always end up choosing the same "styles" and songs by the same people? Coincidence?

I am not sure what recipe can be used, but no one will make me believe that there aren't certain "friendships" that are used to get entries into the contest. Now if Sweden was a small music market and there would be only some 100 entries submitted, fine I could understand, but we are no Malta and we have lots of submitted entries each year, alot of talented (both established and up-and-coming) songwriters/producers here and a music scene that is far more diverse and interesting than MF makes it look like.

I think the producers should take a look at people involved in different genres, it could be up-and-coming names but also who are "hot" currently in Pop, Rock, R&B, Folk, Dance etc. and simply send out invitations, but also give full artistic freedoms. Also directly reach out to some artists, and in the same way give them full artistic freedoms to choose their own people to work with, no compromises for MF (except for of course following the rules of song length, no covers/sampling and no political or other messages breaking the rules).

You think there was an anti-Loreen vote? I think the song was simply too complex for the average MF viewer tbh...

Oh to me the anti-vote was so painfully obvious I got that feeling "gaaah, what the hell am I doing here among these f*ckn' people". It was an ugly face of resentment and rejection I hope I never see again in Melodifestivalen. The rule of belittling mediocrity and the fancy of the familiar over the new and exciting. And the poor guy that just happened to be there in the middle. I had a hard time to watch the finale after that. As a song Statements is simply amazing and the act was art on a level we're not even close to today. And it was to get worse, in 2018 the half-witted mediocrity was just blown wide open. I know there's an unbreakable rule for happy upbeat songs that Loreen tried to bend a little, but in reality, she wasn't allowed a single piece of the cake.

About song selection, I believe the record companies decide who will sing and what they will sing and also how the acts are made. I believe it is done in close cooperation with SVT (Christer Björkman/Karin Gunnarsson) and that this cooperation is vital for the function of Melodifestivalen. I think you are right in there are secret bonds based on connections and personal influence. If you're not one of the guys, you're not and there's not much you can do about it but struggle on. That's just how life works. It is, however, an important aspect of how these circles use to work in Sweden, you need to be skilled, know your stuff and continue being successful, otherwise, you'll soon be out again. It's not pretty but there you have it. Some of the people around Melodifestivalen staff obviously feels intimidated and bullied.

I believe family bonds and close childhood/teen friendships means surprisingly little in Sweden relative to other countries. In working life skills and reputation means everything and you need to adapt to these rather superficial relationships.

A-lister

Veteran
About song selection, I believe the record companies decide who will sing and what they will sing and also how the acts are made. I believe it is done in close cooperation with SVT (Christer Björkman/Karin Gunnarsson) and that this cooperation is vital for the function of Melodifestivalen. I think you are right in there are secret bonds based on connections and personal influence. If you're not one of the guys, you're not and there's not much you can do about it but struggle on. That's just how life works. It is, however, an important aspect of how these circles use to work in Sweden, you need to be skilled, know your stuff and continue being successful, otherwise, you'll soon be out again. It's not pretty but there you have it. Some of the people around Melodifestivalen staff obviously feels intimidated and bullied.

I believe family bonds and close childhood/teen friendships means surprisingly little in Sweden relative to other countries. In working life skills and reputation means everything and you need to adapt to these rather superficial relationships.

Thing is, we have far better and more successful songwriters/producers outside of the MF bubble, so I am not sure I buy the argument that "the best" are being picked... again why aren't their entries particularly good if they are "pros"?

I don't know the exact number, but research show that majority of jobs in Sweden are through contacts so I think you overestimate us a bit, it's not so pure and fair...

LalehForWD

Thing is, we have far better and more successful songwriters/producers outside of the MF bubble, so I am not sure I buy the argument that "the best" are being picked... again why aren't their entries particularly good if they are "pros"?

I don't know the exact number, but research show that majority of jobs in Sweden are through contacts so I think you overestimate us a bit, it's not so pure and fair...

Sure, but there's also a large reluctance to participate in Melodifestivalen among serious professionals or simply the fact their work doesn't fit the format at all. For example, Laleh is a fairly successful songwriter and I'm pretty sure she will never consider participating at least not as an artist. The whole Swedish metal scene, the folk music scene etc etc. If you are a professional in the music business, I believe it would be very strange if you would not be allowed to participate in Melodifestivalen if you like. I'm sure you will have to accept that most of your material will be rejected, but eventually, you will go through. However, if you are one among those who send the 2295 songs to Melodifestivalen and never get selected, you may want to change profession. :D

joancamo

Make it an special all-girl Melodifestivalen so we ensure a girl goes this time :D

Alaska49

is there even a point in having expectations? i just hope the Björkman Anointed One is good, and he (it will be a male.) stays good through the entire process instead of petering out like john did. i hope he is good enough to justify the inevitable jury top 2 placement, which i will have no illusions about not happening next year, because in space nobody can hear you scream. only one (maybe two? clarification please) more year of this. only one more year. i will survive. just keep swimming, alaska.

as for melfest itself, it was very good this year, so just... stay that way, i guess? the results in the final will be [gif of ghost amusement park in chernobyl] again, obviously, so no need to worry about it, or that abomination of an app. just give us some bops as sacrificial lambs for The Anointed One. the journey can be fun, if nothing else.

Franzilein

A song på svenska next time indeed please xlove

Sean

Admin
Staff member
As I said in our post show; be daring.

I have no problem with Sweden winning again if the song is unique and interesting but I'm tired of the same polished pop performances. Give us some rock, some dance, hell even some schlager...

Himan

As I said in our post show; be daring.

I have no problem with Sweden winning again if the song is unique and interesting but I'm tired of the same polished pop performances. Give us some rock, some dance, hell even some schlager...

Maybe Gospel? :D

njdevils94

Veteran
I think there is at least a 60 % chance that Bishara enters and wins Melfest for 2020 and we go through the same debate all over again. Unfortunately how the competition is currently is set up its very very unlikely a woman can actually win which is quite depressing.

Fluke

Make it an special all-girl Melodifestivalen so we ensure a girl goes this time :D

That would actually be a cool idea, problem is the songs would probably all be crap.

Alaska49

What do you mean? (I'm not that familiar with Melodifestivalen)
the international jury has heavily favoured male soloists these last couple years and the voters themselves aren't far behind. it's as if sweden became denmark now that denmark isn't doing that anymore.

Preuss

I'd like to see Mariette have a try, she's had some amazing entries in melfest
Also I remember her beautiful little gesture when she announced the points from Sweden back in 2015 saying that differences are only in our minds not in our hearts xlove

MalagaToledo

Banned
Wow, we already opened 2020 topics.
My pick for Sweden is everyone except person called mans zelmerow, literally ANYONE except him.

Top Bottom