Contact us

Split Jury/Tele Votes

lucian-crusher

I think Italy won the Juryvote and Sweden won the Televote with Azerbaijan coming second on both. France I think will have done better with the Juryvote whilst the United Kingdom may have done better on the Televote.

I think you are right about :it: wining the jury but I am sure :az: won the televoting; they payed a lot of money so their song will be played in all music TV and Radio Chanels across Europe!

lucian-crusher

Well, I don't know how it works in other countries, but here artists must pay to get their videos on TV and Radio. Of course it is covered by their record label! Except for 2009 we I don't think we had our Eurovision songs promoted by our TV stations, while both ,,Drip Drop" and ,,Running scared" where in heavy-rotation :lol:

AlekS

Veteran
Can't know with only two jury results. But if it is a pattern?
I asked you a simple question. Please answer me.

How do you prove that it's really political voting?
You make a serious accusations towards nations, that they don't have their own taste and it's political. Prove it. Ask every single juror and give me the results.

I gave 12 to Georgia. If I was in the jury, would it be political voting? :rolleyes:

Milos-BC

I also believe Italy won the jury vote (and with a significant margin), while Azerbaijan was first in the televoting.

Interesting, Serbia got points from both the Estonian and the Finnish jury, but we got nothing on televoting, so we got 0s in the end :( :lol:

Simon87

I also believe Italy won the jury vote (and with a significant margin), while Azerbaijan was first in the televoting.

Interesting, Serbia got points from both the Estonian and the Finnish jury, but we got nothing on televoting, so we got 0s in the end :( :lol:

We got 2 from Finland

doctormalisimo

I'm interested to see where Ireland came in the televote. We came 8th overall, and I don't think the juries loved our song so we were probably in the top 5 of the public vote o.0
I'm also curious to see who the juries bumped out of the final (like :fi: and :se: last year). I think they removed Turkey, Armenia and Israel from the final.

otto

I asked you a simple question. Please answer me.

How do you prove that it's really political voting?
You make a serious accusations towards nations, that they don't have their own taste and it's political. Prove it. Ask every single juror and give me the results.

I gave 12 to Georgia. If I was in the jury, would it be political voting? :rolleyes:

Proof is hard to get - I can't prove it is political - and I can't prove it is not political. We can only make theories and make our arguments for them.
If you've read my post I have given some thoughts about block voting that are not political. And as I said, with only two jurys availble one can only have some observations and thoughts as there is not enough data for anything more.

- Europe has different regions that share more cultural preferences with each other than with other cultural regions. That's one reason they might prefer songs from countries in the same region. Having artists that are well-known in your home region is part of this.
- Many countries has significant amounts of foreiegners or minority that has a "second home country", which they then can vote on. It might be possible that such groups, rooting for their other home country, can be enough to dominate televoting.

But whatever the reasons - there are distinct gepgraphical patterns of ESC-voting. And that is interesting on it's own merits I think. As is also how the jury system works.

So I don't get the point in your answer to me - do you dislike discussions about voting patterns, blockvoting and political voting?

AlekS

Veteran
^ I dislike when people blame others in political voting when it's impossible to prove. There's also a difference between neighbour voting and political voting.

It's not cold war, we don't have "blocs".
Also I take it personal because I voted for a neighbour country's entry and according to some people it's some crime, as appeared. I dislike when people generalize the voting process.

On the other hand I really like to use entries vs. geographical/cultural areas patterns.
Where European commercial music is popular, where's slavic, who likes teenage entries, who likes fast and sexy entries, who's more into serious ballads etc. Rather from the stats point of view.

Milos-BC

@otto:

Proof is hard to get - I can't prove it is political - and I can't prove it is not political. We can only make theories and make our arguments for them.

The problem is that you don't have any (valid) arguments. With such standing, it is pointless to make claims and represent them as an objective truth.

FallenAngelII

Finland jury vote:

•12 Hungary
•10 Azerbaijan
•8 Ireland
•7 Serbia
•6 Iceland
•5 Austria
•4 Italy
•3 France
•2 Lithuania
•1 Georgia
I've always liked the way the Fins vote in Eurovision, even back from before the return of the juries. They've never been much for block voting and also always comes up with interesting votes.

The jury giving Jedward 8, yet Jedward got 10 overall means the televoters must've ranked Jedward 1st (12) or 2nd (10) unless they completely snubbed Azerbaijan and Hungary.

nikolay_BG

Banned
I've always liked the way the Fins vote in Eurovision, even back from before the return of the juries. They've never been much for block voting and also always comes up with interesting votes.

The jury giving Jedward 8, yet Jedward got 10 overall means the televoters must've ranked Jedward 1st (12) or 2nd (10) unless they completely snubbed Azerbaijan and Hungary.

Wrong. The finnish jury voting for Hungary is a political vote in it`s glamour.
The tele vot was for HUngary too.

I think Finland made a political voting this year and I don`t like that.

Jetro

I don't believe there is such a term as «political voting». What does it mean? Cultural and neighbouring, yes, but political? What does Hungarian politics have to do with Finland? If anything, it was «cultural voting» because their languages are in the same group, but even that is one hell of a stretch. Maybe they just, oh I don't know, liked the song?

I was ashemed of Norway's points this year, we gave 7, 8, 10 & 12 to Nordic countries. The reason we «always» give Sweden or Denmark 12 points is not because of politics (honestly, how could it?) but because they're our neighbours with a lot of «immigrants» from those countries here, and we generally have the same musical taste.

The reason there was so much bloc voting this year was because there was no clear winner, I think.

I expect Ireland to come high in the televoting this year. It's interesting that you see Italy winning the jury vote... somehow I think maybe it won the televote. But I'm probably wrong as always.

nikolay_BG

Banned
I said "political voting", because culturally Hungary and Finland are close as Bulgaria and Norway. They are just from one language family (like Bulgaria and Norway).
But Hungary and Finland have nice political relationship and that increased the popularity of the hungarian song in Finland.
Not that the hungarians didn`t deserve some high points, the hungarian song is alwesome, but god, Kati sanged like a dieing cat...

It would be culture voting if they gave 12 to Estonia (like they did in 2009, not that estonians didn`t deserved the 12 points that year).

As for Norway voting, I only disagree with the swedish points they recieved, the others I think they were actually fair and deserved.

Jetro

But Hungary and Finland have nice political relationship and that increased the popularity of the hungarian song in Finland.
Right, then, if that's the case, that's about the only political voting you'll find in Eurovision.

Most Balkan hate each other because of their history, so their votes comes from disapora and similar taste (or perhaps recently: bettering neighbour conditions). Definitely not politics, because they certainly do not have a nice political relationship. Neither does any ex-Soviet country except Belarus (don't know about Ukraine) with Russia. An example: There are many Russians living in Estonia who votes for Russia. I also react to the way the audience booed when Azerbaijan gave Ukraine 12 points. What do those two countries have in common? Not much.

"Political voting" is a stupid term. How would a country benefit political-wise in any way from receiving votes in a song contest? It's just dumb.

pyryniemi

Estonia got Finland's televoting 12 and Sweden 10, as they didnt receive any points from the jury (and Azerbaijan right behind them received 10)

balizeg

Wrong. The finnish jury voting for Hungary is a political vote in it`s glamour.
The tele vot was for HUngary too.

I think Finland made a political voting this year and I don`t like that.
What the hell are you talking about? What political voting? How do you explain then that Hungary gave a total of 0 points to Finland since 1994?

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
What the hell are you talking about? What political voting? How do you explain then that Hungary gave a total of 0 points to Finland since 1994?

I don't get it, either.

He claims that the finland/hungary vote was political but then says greece/cyprus is not (they always like each others songs the best).

I don't think that the Finish televote gave Hungary 12 points but the combination with the jury vote is what helped them to score big.

AlekS

Veteran
^ witch hunt.

Burn all f-ers who DARE to vote for their neighbours. Right, Matt? ;)

Top Bottom