Contact us

Stage: Forum Discussion

Loindici

Veteran
- Stage -

Speculate anything you want to see for the 2022 stage!

Loindici

Veteran
As example, since we'll have RAI hosting it, EBU AND RAI, PLEASE, DO NOT CHOOSE ANOTHER CRAP BY FLORIAN WIEDER.

Loindici

Veteran

sucof

I agree, Gaetano Castelli is a wizard of scenography.
I hope it is a different scenography, with a more Italian touch, sinuous and elegant lines.
A scenography more elaborate in the details, not just LED walls tens of meters high!
We do not lack good taste :cool:
obviously the style of sanremo cannot be 100% reproduced at eurovision but I hope there is some aesthetic reference

Last edited:

Chrisiam

Personally I am just sick of the flat LED screens at this point, its just so dull and visually uninteresting at this point and it makes it feel like almost every staging year on year is near identical. Give us something bold! Give us something with some visual depth to it!

Loindici

Veteran
Personally I am just sick of the flat LED screens at this point, its just so dull and visually uninteresting at this point and it makes it feel like almost every staging year on year is near identical. Give us something bold! Give us something with some visual depth to it!

Castellini's design actually has LEDs on it arranged with depth, so I wanna see him do something similar.

After all, it's not impossible to think Castellini already had his position locked to design the stage as soon as Maneskin won.

Ezio

Veteran
I can feel it is the year without Wieder. xheat
Hopefully. This year was his most boring stage so far. He is running out of ideas.

anto475

I don't care if a child makes the stage out of lego, just please not Florian Wieder again, he's so unimaginative and he really has had his time in the spotlight

Ezio

Veteran
I like his 2018 Lisbon stage though a lot. All the others lacked something, or just looked to similar.

Wieder about his Rotterdam work:

– The set design shows the connection between the sky, the sea and the land. The horizon is the link between these elements and that horizon will work as a window to open the world of Eurovision 2020

– The floor plan of the decor is inspired by the canals and bridges that connect land and water in the Netherlands. With this design, we want to bring the artists as close as possible to the public.

That's a lot of fancy words for a flat LED floor, a flat LED background screen and a flat low definition LED flag. What would have been really cool, would have been actual water in "canals" integrated. And the artists could not have further from the public, the catwalk was really awkward this year, so would have made sense to readjust the stage to the circumstance of lack of audience on the ground floor level.

Loindici

Veteran
A big LED screen sure is versatile and adaptable, but yeah,

2011? Flat LED
2012? Flat LED, but spread in crystals
2015? Flat LED, but with an eye ornament
2017? Flat LED, but with a Zaha Hadid plagiate
2018? Yup, lamps arranged like flat LED, and some arches
2019? Flat LED, and a triangle bar
2021? Totally Flat LED

A-lister

Veteran

I want LED!!!! :lol:

I think you can incorporate LED in something bold and original, the one doesn't have to exclude the other, it's just that we've had a bit of "the same" lately so we need to have fresh minds, but I fully think it's possible to combine.

LED does give the acts more possibilities to elevate their entries visually for the viewers, without them Eurovision looks more like some "standard" concerts and the entries look pretty much the same visually (Oslo 2010 and Lisbon 2018). It's not like you're forced to use the LED, just like you're not forced to use background dancers, but the option should be there and the acts should use what they think works best for their entries, why do we want to limit the choices? With all limitations we also get less diverse acts.

Also, it's more costly to come up with props etc. if you can't use LED, which leads to more visually scaled down performances, and again I am not against scaled down if it works for a specific entry, but I also am not in the camp that everything needs to be scaled down because again more options - more diversity!

Last edited:
Top Bottom