22 9.9%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Ezio

Veteran
This happens to arts at times. Doesn't mean it has no place in Eurovision. I am still thankful for Telemovéis and Limits, although they bombed.

Realest

Did we ever have a Contender that flopped so hard in the Televoting?

FwVwn5uXsAE8HRH

SpiritofKeiino

FwVwn5uXsAE8HRH
I loved Eaea but talking to friends and colleagues after, every one of them hated it.

I do enjoy flamenco normally and am sort of obsessed with Spanish culture. Maybe that drew me to it

ESC94

FwVwn5uXsAE8HRH

For me this was never a real contender, only the bubble kinda liked it. My mum on the other side who heard it for the first time on Saturday really HATED it, and I think most others unfamiliar with this kind of music thought the same.

Semra

I loved Eaea but talking to friends and colleagues after, every one of them hated it.

I do enjoy flamenco normally and am sort of obsessed with Spanish culture. Maybe that drew me to it
Me too! Love everything Andalucian.

I had Spain high up in my rankings because of her voice and the quality of the act. But at the same time flamenco can be done a bit more melodically. It did bother me that she didn't use the new, angelic intro she sang at the pre parties. It made the song so much better and more impressive. I always thought it was a change made to use in the grand final.

I understand why people don't like listening to the song. I don't think it's because it's flamenco. Many foreigners adore flamenco sounds. It was just too intense and lacking in melody. Her song from last year would've done better as it was more pleasing to the ears.

Ezio

Veteran

Ezio

Veteran
Should Spain feel embarassed about their song this year? No.

Should they feel embarassed about their song 2017? Hell yeah

JenJen94

FwVwn5uXsAE8HRH

That televote score makes me sad :cautious:

But yeah, it obviously just didn't appeal to alot of people people tbh. I don't know why I loved it-probably the style of music? It just stood out to me massively plus her vocal too.

Fluke

Yikes, since the moment the televotes were announced i've been struggling to find anything to say.

What went wrong? The performance was great, the staging was great.... i hope people, especially Spain's delegation and all others who might consider sending anything similar, doesn't see this as a final and definitive sign that nothing like this should be send to Eurovision. Songs like "Suus" and "1944" did great, so why couldn't this one get more than 5 televote points...

I think i can come to one somewhat extra-musical explanation : Spain simply doesn't bother to promote their entries. They don't do the pre-contest live tours (why?) and basically don't care to get media in other European countries to talk about their entries in any way. Look at how much coverage Käärijä and Loreen got, and what it did...

I don't know if they used the same "passive marketing" strategy, that is none at all, with "Slo-mo", but if they did, it worked because though somewhat similar, it had qualities "Eaea" lacked.

It was a party song, it was sexy, it was immediately catchy, it had a performance that was intense and spectacular in a far simpler, more universal way, and "Eaea" was none of those things. It simply didn't take of by itself in the same way, and i'm kinda sad thinking it would have done much better if people had heard it more before the contest.

Nevertheless, i think Mikecrack can still stand proud by the flag. (pats him on the head) I'm probably going to leave him there at least until the next year's entries start getting revealed, and Spain should be very proud that they're sending something this brave and artistic, just wish it could have shown a little more in the actual result.

empo21

Veteran
They don't do the pre-contest live tours
Just to chime in on this part.

Blanca Paloma attended every pre-contest concert this year and gave a highlight performance in each of them. Ehsy haplened is that the general audience of eurovision didn't vibe with it I guess.

The casual viewers mostly go for safe entries and when they go for something out of the box, there's generally some novelty behind it.

Paco Roca

I personally believe that Blanca Paloma is one of the most talented Eurovision Song Contest singer. She has charisma but manages to remain simple, has a powerful vocal and is original (she built the staging in every detail). I was very happy with her participation in 2023. After all the songs were revealed, along with "Cha Cha Cha" and "Due Vite", the Spanish song was the most original and highly qualitative.

During the pre-parties Blanca won across the board. She far outshone all other singers. So what went wrong? Is Flamenco really such a niche genre and difficult to use for listeners? Yes, it's true. We have to think that Flamenco does not unite the tastes of all Spaniards but is purely an Andalusian product. However, I don't agree completely. There is more.

One of the elements that brought Spain to bankruptcy was the clash between the "Loreen Mania" and the "European Psy", Käärijää. This took away many points from the televoting. Another element is that "Eaea" was a little radio-friendly song, a song that lives only on the performance of its talented interpreter. Continuing, the running order of the main event was bad while Loreen, who came immediately after, was able to enjoy two commercial breaks (which is not very correct because next time a singer can stage the Pyramid of Giza and exploit the cumbersome object to manipulate the running order to his advantage). Another reflection must be made on the timid response of the members of the jury who put their hands to their hearts, made huge smiles like sharks, tore their hair out and had lost looks like LSD users for... "Tattoo"... If the jury must reward a song "Eaea" should be at least in fifth position and not in ninth. That's not all, vocal power and exoticism have been penalized by Blanca Paloma's own perfectionism. Too fast and chaotic direction and too complex choreography did not help Spain to get stuck in the public's head. In my humble opinion, Blanca had to wear a dress similar to that of the pre-party and not that of the "warrior" of the main-event, reduce the coreography to a minimum and concentrate the direction purely on her because Flamenco, in its first tradition , is much more essential than we think. This whole series of faults and events have penalized Spain.

I hope that the "failure" does not distract RTVE from the good path it has taken. I am proud of the choices of the last two years and I am proud of the creation of Benidorm Fest which, although it chooses the representative for the Eurovision Song Contest, I find it an NF with much more personality. Looking forward to Benidorm Fest 2024.

aeon

Would you vote for some traditional Tyrolean brass music with a yodeler. Guess hardly anyone would.

Spain's entry was like that. For Eurovision regional folk music needs some innovative elements to appeal to a wider audience. Eaea was pure old style flamenco. I love the folk music inspired entries we had over the years in particular from Moldava and Ukraine, because they were innovative and catchy.

ArmpitOfEurope

For a casual televoter on Saturday night, this was just not fun or interesting enough. The atmosphere of the performance was not pleasant ( was giving mourning vibes ) and the song itself very repetitive.
Is she an excellent performer and vocalist? Yes but since when televoters care about vocals only?
She should have gathered more jury support though, but coming right before the jury sweetheart ( who had a far more impressive performance) didnt help.

Top Bottom