12 5.4%

8 3.6%

22 9.9%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Your words (always) give me hope. Do you think there's any chance 'you-know-who' doesn't win like foreshadowed and force-fed to exhaustion? Is there hopes this year can still be interesting?

This year's songs aren't weak (to the exclusion of Poland), but they are all quite from the same box of styles or they have already been "seen".

In that group we can classify all Scandinavian and North European entries (with exclusion of Finland) combined with UK and their production outlets such as Greece, Cyprus and Malta.

When an average person is subdued to watching 24 songs in a row, he or she will remember and like whatever stands out from many and is presented to him or her to appear as a proper song with outstanding performance.

Blanca definitely stands out as different, her vocal as superb, and her stage presence is outstanding.

The only factors that could work against her are running order and staging. I must admmit I'm no fan of her supporting vocalists and how they move or behave on stage. They give some other meaning to a song, ritualistic almost, that is disconnected with true message and meaning of the song.

That's the only confusing thing here for an average viewer that must be adressed.

And let's not forget Salvador Sobral's fully deserved victory. Did anyone expect him to win Eurovision when he was chosen in Festival da Canção?

I lowkey have some faith in the televote because, the Benidorm Fest final night, I was watching the show with some foreign friends outside the Eurovision bubble and with Blanca's first note, they all got goosebumps and immediately wanted her to win. On the other hand, some older people just hate the song here in Spain. We'll see...

Well of course that older people dislike the song because they are accustomed to traditional musical structures which this entry doesn't have. For example, that category of listeners will enjoy this year's songs such as Tattoo, Heart of Steel, Blood and Glitter, I wrote a song, Watergun, Because of you, Bridges, Carpe Diem, Lithuanian entry I find impressive enough to forget it, because these songs have conservative musical forms and structure that reminds them of the music they listened when they were younger and more invested in music, irrespective of the genre concerned.

However, younger generations that grew up with Billie Eilish are not bound with that understanding of music. As much as I'm not a fan of her work, she did influence modern day producers to start producing songs that don't follow typical structures intro-verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus/breakdown-outro. Therefore, younger audience doesn't have any "expectations" on how a specific song should develop in 3 minutes time-frame.

E.g. take a look at Matt's reaction to Armenian song. He said: "Oh here we go again with 3 songs in one". Because he's not used to it after years of one canon to be followed. On the other side, for me that song is a quite successful work because I can relax and listen to it with no preconceptions and as long as I hear good transitions btw different parts, I don't mind that structure. On the opposite side is Israeli entry - it doesn't have proper transitions to make it a coherent song. But it's a favorite of younger audiences and some "dooders" who are cheesy in love with women resembling barbie dolls. No pun intended.

Then there's also a problem of metric in this song. It also goes beyond understaning of conservative musical forms. It's the same problem that, e.g., Latvian entry has. In that regard you can notice conflicting reviews from Rachel's and MytleP channels (I diss of HonestVocalCouch🤣 as not very credible). Myrtle and Co. find Latvian vocalist to be constantly "behind", and Spain's metric they find "weird". Because Americans simply don't do it and they didn't hear many songs like that. Labels there wouldn't allow it as the sound of it isn't market oriented. On the other hand, Rachel from UK, who knows such music for example from Radiohead, and is therefore "accustomed" to such metric, loved both songs genuinely.

MooseShoes

Your words (always) give me hope. Do you think there's any chance 'you-know-who' doesn't win like foreshadowed and force-fed to exhaustion? Is there hopes this year can still be interesting?
I said on another thread that I might just be trying to will it into existence, but for me it's not guaranteed. It's just that it is such a massive song for many in the bubble who have voted Euphoria the best ESC song for all those years, for those who still feel bad for her missing out in 2017, etc. That's a lot of people making a lot of noise, but it's still just a lot of noise inside the bubble. Until the very last moment, we won't know whether televoters will also be wowed by Tattoo, or whether something that doesn't seem all that different to what won 11 years ago doesn't actually impress them as much.

lacrymea

I said on another thread that I might just be trying to will it into existence, but for me it's not guaranteed. It's just that it is such a massive song for many in the bubble who have voted Euphoria the best ESC song for all those years, for those who still feel bad for her missing out in 2017, etc. That's a lot of people making a lot of noise, but it's still just a lot of noise inside the bubble. Until the very last moment, we won't know whether televoters will also be wowed by Tattoo, or whether something that doesn't seem all that different to what won 11 years ago doesn't actually impress them as much.
I'll try and have the same wishful thinking. There are sooo many interesting, cool, genuine, innovative entries this year. It'd be a massive letdown (at least for me) if people decided to scrap it all and repeat the laurels of 2012 just for the sake of it.

And since we're in the Spanish thread, Spain is one of those songs :)

Deleted member 12761

I've come to the conclusion that this is my winner of Eurovision 2023. I will definitely vote for Spain in the finale. Every performance I've seen was just magical. This song is the most original/unique song of the year. Blanca is talented, classy, elegant. It's Spain 2024 for me.

ayzelto

This was… well, nothing to say. Just watch it. In the meantime, she’s getting closer and closer to Norway in the betting odds. There will be just three to beat then.
I have to say this is not the kind of music l listen on my daily basis. I am from the north of Spain (Catalonia), and flamenco isn’t really a thing here. But her voice is so outstanding. I think her chances of winning the jury vote are high (I promise I am trying to be objective). After so many decades, I want Eurovision back in Spain. Many countries had their chances recently, but we are still celebrating the 1969 victory (it’s funny, I know).
While I don’t have any doubts juries will eat this up with fork and knive, I am still quite cautious about how the televote will react. On one hand, I see users from Portugal, France, and the Mediterrean overall that are loving this song. At the same time, though, most of the users from the Scandinavian and, above all, Germans, dislike the song to a point that they put her last out of 37 countries. I don’t really know what to expect from the televote this time, but I have the feeling Spain will be one of the last to be announced and I don’t know if I am ready for very little points. This can happen though, I am aware people won’t understand it. Plus we have a strong Scandinavian competition that won’t miss the chance.
Saying that, I think Sweden , Finland and Spain will be in the final game. The order? We’ll find out soon

Yazy

While I don´t particularly hate this year, Eaea and Cha Cha Cha are the only two entries of this year that are truly simply doing it for me to the point that I would give them 12 points.

Last year had like six or seven songs I gave 12 points.

midnightsun

Veteran
and, above all, Germans, dislike the song to a point that they put her last out of 37 countries.

That’s me, and yes, I also disliked Conan and I disliked my example of why Spain could do very well in the end: France 1991. Tie with Sweden, so she was actually the winner too with a very experimental song, especially at that time and with juries only.
I don’t like songs that are too experimental, with some exceptions, but I wouldn’t judge others by my own taste. I can’t remember where my fellow Germans put the song. But it’s true, us Germans have a pretty straight taste what music is concerned. Dance or rock. The bubble might be different.

lacrymea

While I don´t particularly hate this year, Eaea and Cha Cha Cha are the only two entries of this year that are truly simply doing it for me to the point that I would give them 12 points.

Last year had like six or seven songs I gave 12 points.
Usually, I have one song that I madly root for. This year is weird, I have 4 to 6 songs that I absolutely adore. But to win? Spain or Finland only, yeah.

Ezio

Veteran
My heart is breaking for Spain, because I can't support them like I usually do. Kudos for bringing Spanish flavour, true to your home country, but it all sounds like a wall of noise for me, that exhausts me completely in 3 minutes. I think Moldova with a similar theme will get much further on the scoreboard, and Spaniards might be very disappointed at the end of the day.

VikingTiger

Blanca might be the strongest vocalist this year. She is really impressing on stage!
SloMo was my clear favourite last year, both the final performance and also the song itself - it topped my playlist for a long time. And finally Spain came near winning, a top 3 is always impressing. And the day when Spain is finally winning again I will be in heaven. I am so happy that TVE seems to be taking the competition seriously.

So what about this year? What do I think of Spains chances of getting the trophy?
Spain is in my personal top 10. But as opposed to last year, my top 10 is mainly based on the performance, not the song itself.

Spain will be in the jury top 10. Might she win the jury votes? I dont think so. Unfortunately the jury votes tend to reward rather mainstream, high quality pop-songs. And the masters of mainstream, hight quality pop is Sweden. The juries also seem to be rewarding Sweden when not sending high quality songs (I still dont see how the juries could go wild for Dance you Off).

Unfortunately I dont see juries north of the Alps go crazy for Eaea even though they will for sure recognize the vocal performance (I also expect Spain to be visually stunning in Liverpool). But this is not the Voice. The song itself definitely matters.
And I am afraid that the same will be the result among the televoters. I think that the very spanish sound picture of Eaea comes across as too harsh and in-our-face for many televoters. Especially the televoters from the countries not surrounding the Mediterranean sea.

I certainly woulnd't mind it if Blanca wins the whole thing, on the other hand I would be thrilled. But I realistically dont think that will happen. Things like the running order will also play a role this year. And the other contestants live vocal performance - because we all know that Blanca will deliver flawlessly!

Suerte!

AndroZeus

Blanca Paloma is undoubtedly the strongest vocalist this year. I hope this will result in at least a jury win. Also, I don't understand (or even respect, tbh) any of the hate towards the song. It's like y'all have never heard anything that isn't co-written by a Swede...

Zeus

Blanca Paloma is undoubtedly the strongest vocalist this year. I hope this will result in at least a jury win. Also, I don't understand (or even respect, tbh) any of the hate towards the song. It's like y'all have never heard anything that isn't co-written by a Swede...
Wow, I agree with you completely. It's just that I will have to call you Andro, I will not acknowledge the second part of your name I'm sorry

AndroZeus

Wow, I agree with you completely. It's just that I will have to call you Andro, I will not acknowledge the second part of your name I'm sorry
That's fair, I see you're three years my senior around these parts! Also, though I've been using this name since 2012 in various parts of the internet, people in those other places also used to just call me Andro.

Last edited:

Ezio

Veteran
This was… well, nothing to say. Just watch it. In the meantime, she’s getting closer and closer to Norway in the betting odds. There will be just three to beat then.
I have to say this is not the kind of music l listen on my daily basis. I am from the north of Spain (Catalonia), and flamenco isn’t really a thing here. But her voice is so outstanding. I think her chances of winning the jury vote are high (I promise I am trying to be objective). After so many decades, I want Eurovision back in Spain. Many countries had their chances recently, but we are still celebrating the 1969 victory (it’s funny, I know).
While I don’t have any doubts juries will eat this up with fork and knive, I am still quite cautious about how the televote will react. On one hand, I see users from Portugal, France, and the Mediterrean overall that are loving this song. At the same time, though, most of the users from the Scandinavian and, above all, Germans, dislike the song to a point that they put her last out of 37 countries. I don’t really know what to expect from the televote this time, but I have the feeling Spain will be one of the last to be announced and I don’t know if I am ready for very little points. This can happen though, I am aware people won’t understand it. Plus we have a strong Scandinavian competition that won’t miss the chance.
Saying that, I think Sweden , Finland and Spain will be in the final game. The order? We’ll find out soon
Not Germany here but Austria, and my soul truly belongs to Spain, especially Andalucía. Spanish entries were always an instant hit with me, but Eaea gives me such a hard time. Yes, I love folklore and mystery, originality above all, but I just can’t help not falling in love with this song. It’s so hard. Maybe it’s her voice or it’s the meaning I can’t get a hold of. I feel like an alien in a cloud of noise with this song.

Maybe I am just a pretentious honk or hunk, who thinks with his dick and thus was captivated by the storm Chanel. Only a psychologist could tell.

AndroZeus

I feel like an alien in a cloud of noise with this song.
This is a thing that seems to come up again and again when people who don't like Eaea are talking about it, and it's so confusing to me. I'm a very sound sensitive person, to the point where I sometimes have to get out of bed in the night and go close the door to the kitchen 2 rooms away because my roommates are talking. I can't be in a crowded room for too long without getting completely drained, and traffic is horrible. Eaea, though, doesn't sound like noise, it sounds like someone taking the noise away and making everything better.
I think personal taste is a very difficult thing to make sense of. Blanca Paloma speaks directly into my heart. Chanel, while certainly an able performer, did not.
(Also, considering what I just wrote, I hope we don't have to worry too much about being construed as pretentious.)

Top Bottom