22 5.3%

9 2.2%

9 2.2%

8 1.9%

3 0.7%

28 6.7%

• Total voters

Musicosity

Maybe. I'm not sure how to explain myself in clear words... It can be compared with 'surprises that in some situations like nowadays are no longer true surprises because they've become predictable surprises'. The key change in Quedate Conmigo is fantastic and was handled perfectly by Pastora, but was it really a surprise, was it something (together with the whole performance, and all the visual aspects) something that the Eurovision voter in 2012 would vote for? To me the song seems a bit planned, specially written to evoke emotions, with 'the right surprise' (the key change) that is actually no longer a surprise no matter how stunning and how technically well sung. Result: the ability to evoke emotions is less in this ballad. For some reason the other ballads like Kuula and Serbia's (and especially Suus) sound purer (to me).

So it has not so much to do with the type of composition of the ballad (how it is built up etc. like you describe it), but more with the intention behind it (when it was written). And the song, the end result, breaths that intention.

That is why some people, including me, are saying that spontaneously written songs are the best ones. Because it contains less thought and planning but more feelings and purity. For me, Quedate Conmigo, does not sound so spontaneous. It does not mean that I think it's a bad or unlikeable song! The truth is: I like it. But I just don't have strong feelings when listening to it.

Hmm, I think I've actually just managed to make myself clear ;)

Of course Quédate is carefully constructed to achieve its effect. Whether the key change was meant as a surprise I don't know, since all the tension built up in the song was just crying to be released into some form of climax (and who in these days can be surprised by a key change in an ESC song anyway? :D).

I'm not sure I got you right regarding spontaneous. The most spontaneous sounding song for me was Soluna's, and to the surprise of many she bombed dearly. No doubt none of the songs was completed in just 20 minutes, they have all been thought over and finetuned for days and weeks. But you are touching an important point regarding feelings and purity, I think. Acts like Loreen's, Rona's or Ott's displayed much more personal emotion than Pastora's. She gave a very self-controlled performance, compared to the others. It's the same with Nina, btw., who finished below expectations in quite the same way. But in today's audience so many people want to emotionally connect to the artist as well as the song. It's often not the artist presenting the song anymore, but the song presenting the artist and his (assumed or real) personality. And Loreen, Rona and Ott were much more "open" to the voters in that regard than Pastora. Rona became almost intimate, even if her acting was a bit theatrical. But this emotional openness aspect very likely has played a major role.

alca

Pastora wants to return to Eurovision!!!!!!

But not next year!!!!!!!!! :( How unlucky am I????? :cry: :cry: She was in Baku, I wasn't there. ESC will be in Sweden (where I live), she won't be here!! COME ON!!! :cry:

alca

Yeah sorry. I was too excited posting this everywhere and I forgot the link. Thanks Matt!

chontono

I don´t see why you say Pastora didn´t make her performance emotional, it was very much for me. I agree, though, that the singers mentioned like Ott or Rona did it too, but not in a better way. The issue here is that Spain cannot win, while people feel more sympathetic about other countries.

Yamarus

Any country can win.

Well, maybe not Slovakia.

LOL

EurovisionSmile

Veteran
I hope that when and if she returns she has a better song than this time. She certainly deserves something awesome. EXCELLENT performance on Saturday. Congratulations to Spain for reaching top 10!

alca

No no no people! Make an online petition! She has to come back next year! I want to meet her!!!!!! :cry:

Musicosity

The issue here is that Spain cannot win, while people feel more sympathetic about other countries.
Calm down, it's not that bad. It was the same with Germany since about the mid 90's, a few top 10's and the rest was rather sobering. There was also the same talk about lack of neighbour voting etc. here. Then our NB changed the selection process, and our second win ever with Lena was the result. There is talent like Pastora in your country almost to be envied. It's great to see she is proud of her accomplishment and wants to return.

chontono

No, sorry but I disagree, Germany may have had some bad results in a row some time ago, but it´s in the centre of the continent and there are enough neighbours around. I even saw this fellow country become 2nd or 3rd with not so excellent songs like 99´s. I can´t see that happening to us, usually because our songs are not good enough or they are not well presented live, true, but how can we feel if we did this time and many talked about her and she does it quite well and still nothing near the top 5?
This is Spain, that´s why, but apparently it´s almost decided to go on, so I guess next year we´ll try to magically find the formula to conquer people´s ears, though I´m not too much cheered up after this.

mikept

I hope that when and if she returns she has a better song than this time. She certainly deserves something awesome. EXCELLENT performance on Saturday. Congratulations to Spain for reaching top 10!

In 2012 Spain was the best entry...Pastora really deserved to win and not that crap sweden entry...
I

mikept

It was the best entry for you and for Portugal. Therefore it got 12 points. What else are you expecting?
what else?? of course Pastora deserved the victory and not that crap sweden song....she was the best voice and the best entry in the contest!!

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
In 2012 Spain was the best entry...Pastora really deserved to win and not that crap sweden entry...
I

That's your personal taste, the vast majority disagrees with you. I mean look at the charts and polls all over the continent. And Spain as one of my favorites, too but I understand why it didn't score as high as some people wanted.

This is the first Top 10 result in 8 years, this is great progress so let's celebrate that instead.

Top Bottom