Southern USA

WorldVision

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
DJ5uVn8.png

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
Re: Southern USA - WV 107: Willie Nelson - City of New Orleans - NF On Page 22

Thank you to Lebanon, Cyprus, and Yorkshire & the Humber for voting so far in the NF! Here's where y'all put things:

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

:paci: has voted. As a token of my appreciation for presenting us with such frolicsome songs, please take an advance copy of my book..

RtWa.gif

fer20

:sobr: voted

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar

Thank you to Southeast Brazil, Pacific States, and Hungary for voting as well! :D Here's where we've been left:

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
Re: Southern USA - WV 108: Donna Summer - Love's About to Change My Heart

WV 108: DONNA SUMMER - LOVE'S ABOUT TO CHANGE MY HEART

Lyrics:

Not really a lot to say about Donna and how and how much I love her and her music. Thank you for sending this to the final. xheart

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member

WORK
OF
ART

(also sandra in your signature xheat)

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

This is immense. I've got a soft spot for Stock Aitken Waterman songs (when one of their writers isn't trying to sabotage us at Eurovision). I grew up with their music and the very first song I ever fell in love with was a SAW song, Last Thing On My Mind. I didn't know this Donna song until you introduced me to it, and now I'm addicted.

Shoutout though to the PWL 7" Mix because oh henny, I'm afraid it's so high energy and ultimately the best version. Fight me... under the neon glow of the 80s.

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar

A belated thank you to everyone who voted for Donna across semi and final. xheart xheart xheart And now, the torch is to be passed to [MENTION=11993]whiteshoes[/MENTION] and his party hit! xlove

ShoeFlo

:susa: WV 109: Gary Jules (ft Michael Andrews) – Mad World :susa:

Lyrics

All around me are familiar faces
Worn out places, worn out faces
Bright and early for their daily races
Going nowhere, going nowhere
Their tears are filling up their glasses
No expression, no expression
Hide my head, I want to drown my sorrow
No tomorrow, no tomorrow

And I find it kinda funny, I find it kinda sad
The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had
I find it hard to tell you, I find it hard to take
When people run in circles it's a very very
Mad world, mad world

Children waiting for the day, they feel good
Happy birthday, happy birthday
Made to feel the way that every child should
Sit and listen, sit and listen
Went to school and I was very nervous
No one knew me, no one knew me
Hello teacher, tell me what's my lesson
Look right through me, look right through me

And I find it kinda funny, I find it kinda sad
The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had
I find it hard to tell you, I find it hard to take
When people run in circles it's a very very
Mad world, mad world
Enlarge your world
Mad world

--------------------------------------------

It's exactly the party hit I announced before and the one you were waiting for :rolleyes:
After sending a 8 minutes shoegaze song the edition before I thought it'd be okay to turn into a scorewhore now again.
Nah, seriously, Mad World is a super-depressive and nihilistic masterpiece and therefore it fits nicely into the whiteshoes conception. Mad World is also the first song I've learned to play on piano when I was an absolute beginner and a song I've used to listen to now and then. So there is the connection. Actually I also send it now cause I didnt have time to explore more music of the artists on my list so I had to make a fast and easy choice.
The minimalistic instrumentation here is kinda contrasting with the rich "wall of sounds" that features on many of my songs. But the piano hook here is just beautiful. One of the few songs whose cover version is better than the original. The original of this song is from the 1980s but it sounds way too uptempo in the light of the message it transports.

I hope you appreciate my SUSA debut entry :)

I find it kinda funny, I find it kinda sad, the dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had...♫

ShoeFlo

Re: Southern USA - WV 109: Gary Jules (ft. Michael Andrews) – Mad World

:susa: WV 110: Cigarettes After Sex – Apocalypse :susa:

Lyrics

You leapt from crumbling bridges watching cityscapes turn to dust
Filming helicopters crashing in the ocean from way above

Got the music in you baby, tell me why
You've been locked in here forever and you just can't say goodbye

Kisses on the foreheads of the lovers wrapped in your arms
You've been hiding them in hollowed out pianos left in the dark

Your lips, my lips, apocalypse
Your lips, my lips, apocalypse
Go and sneak us through the rivers flood is rising up on your knees, oh please
Come out and haunt me, I know you want me
Come out and haunt me

Sharing all your secrets with each other since you were kids
Sleeping soundly with the locket that she gave you clutched in your fist

Oh, when you're all alone, I will reach for you
When you're feeling low, I will be there, too

-------------------

My 70th WV entry xcheer
Let's ignore that "Your lips, my lips, apocalypse" is easily one of the chepeast lines of all my WV song lyrics and instead enjoy the beautiful dreamy sound patterns of this gentle love song that remind pretty much of Beach House.
Cigarettes After Sex lives up to their band name since their songs actually sound pretty post-coital, to be precise they are rather stress-relieved and relaxed. Maybe the band start inspiring me so much I will start smoking from now on. Let's see.
Fun fact: They were part of the line-up of the famous Hurricane festival in Northern Germany that is running atm. And thiw is actually a Rock festival, so Cigarettes after Sex must have felt lost in this environment. But from what Ive heard their show was well done and nicely received :lol:
Hope you enjoy the song as much as I do xup

ShoeFlo

Re: Southern USA - WV 110: Cigarettes After Sex – Apocalypse

A brief update about my current plans regarding my stay in Southern USA (Subject to changes!)

For WV 111 I decided to sent a song that once terribly flopped in a different online contest and that I want to serve the justice it deserves..It's easily the most celestial song I've sent since Dauðalogn in WV 74.

In WV 112 I plan to send an artist I sent before as USA juror in the WV 60s ;)

in WV 113 I might delight you with some ambient

For WV 114 I might prepare a super-risky post-rock NF

For WV 115 I am wavering between a ethereal wave/dream pop duet and another ambient artist

WV 116 is still totally open, maybe I shall try something crazy and unusual in this edition

WV 117
you will get an one-band-NF

and if it's possible in WV 118 I'd like to return to the place I actually belong to ;)

I am just unsure about the NFs... it doesnt seem to be a thing nowadays xthink well, I will bribe some people

ShoeFlo

Re: Southern USA - WV 110: Cigarettes After Sex – Apocalypse

:susa: WV 111: Hammock – Mysterium :susa:

Lyrics

some choir vocals

-------------------

"Hammock" is one of the main reasons why I switched to Southern USA. They are one the most notorious and imo one of the best ambient/post rock bands ever who have been consistently amazing for more than a decade. This shouldnt be the last song of them I will send.
Beforehand I had a "short"list of 15 Hammock songs to chose from, that already says a lot. But none of their songs is as celestial and majestic as Mysterium. Musically it is a bit like Sigur Rós "Daudalogn" meets Kjartan Sveinsson's "Der Klang der Offenbarung des Göttlichen" (the later Parts, not the first one) and especially the last three minutes for me are one of the best that have ever been recorded.
If some of us remember this song it might be because we've sent it to NSC over an year ago as our PQ song. It flopped horribly in the final and that was quite painful and hard to understand. I also send this cause I feel it deserves to get justice and I put my trust into the WV community to appreciate this piece of music as much as I do xheart

daniels1000

Re: Southern USA - WV 111: Hammock – Mysterium

xheartxheartxheartxfaint

One of my favourite songs of one of my favourite artists. A tremendous piece of pure celestial art. Let's hope it gets more attention in WV!

ShoeFlo

What is the age of your entries?

I keep track of it and share it with you.

50 (70,4 %) of my entries are from the 2010s

12 (16,9 %) entries are from the 2000s

4 entries are from the 1990s, 2 of them from my birth year 1994:

WV 62: John Williams – Schindlers List Theme (1994)
WV 106: Alan Silvestri – Forrest Gump Suite (1994)
WV 90: Craig Armstrong – Balcony Scene (1998)
WV 70: Sigur Rós – Starálfur (1999)

2 entries are from the 1980s (this number will increase quickly when I one day take over Germany or some place in UK):

WV 98: Riccardo Fogli – Storie di tutti i giorni (1982)
WV 102: Julee Cruise – Falling (1989)

One entry is from the 1970s:
WV 69: Brunaliðið – Ástarsorg (1979)

Another entry is from the 1960s:
WV 100: Ennio Morricone – L'Arena (1968)

aaand my oldest one to date is from the 1950s...
WV 97: Remo Giazotto – Adagio in G minor (1958)

The year I sent the most songs from is 2012 (10 songs, "Video Games" amongst them)

I didnt send a 2019 song yet. From the last decade I still lack the years 2000, 2001, 2004 and 2007.

Both my 2003 songs got me a medal rank (Silver for "Mad World" and Bronze for "Cartouche")

Although I sent 6 songs from 2010 (all from Iceland) none of them made the Top 10.

Three of my four oldest songs are from my Italy era.

4/5 of my Scotland entries are older than 10 years. However, the fifth is my most recent song at all (Lists' "Haven Lea" from 2018)

3/8 of my USA entries are from 2011.

The average age of all my entries is 11 years.

#TriviaThursday

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

source.gif

Interesting trivia. Must have taken you a while to prepare.

You got me beat at least on the 80s. A great period for music and yet I don't have a single 80s entry, although Hallelujah technically is an 80s song (it's just the John Cale cover is from 1992).

ShoeFlo

:susa: WV 112: Beach House – PPP :susa:

Lyrics

Out in the heartland
I looked in your eyes
And I asked "Are you ready?
Ready for this life?"

Did you see it coming?
It happened so fast
The timing was perfect
Water on glass

Like tracing figure eights on ice in skates
Oh well
And if this ice should break it would be my
Mistake (my mistake)

Between the cities
Between the thrills
There's something inside you
That doesn't sleep well

It won't last forever
Or maybe it will
The white clothes they gave you
You wear them so well

Someone once told me
In love that you must
Place all you're given
In infinite trust

Yet I'm tracing figure eights on ice in skates
So well
And if this ice should break it would be my
Mistake (my mistake)

-------------------

I think it was time for another typical whiteshoes dream pop tune, however this time I decided for a lighter, more accessible and summer-ish choice. Moreover it has certainly trippy, slightly psychedelic vibes. Anyway, I didnt wanna spread too much depression for once... then again, the album where this song is from is called "Depression Cherry" :lol:

It is the second time I send this band. They are among my favorites in this genre. In WV 61, when I was still USA juror Ive sent "Myth" which is one of their most famous songs but only became 21st. However in that time succeeding with dream pop songs was still a challenge so making the final was good already. I still consider Myth my most amazing USA entry beside Schindlers List Theme.

Enjoy xrose

ShoeFlo

Re: Southern USA - WV 112: Beach House – PPP

:susa: WV 113: Julianna Barwick – The Harbinger :susa:

-------------------

Julianna Barwick is an experimental ambient producer from Louisiana, who's meanwhile living in Brooklyn.

She started her career in 2006 with a collection of wordless and improvised song fragments, including synthesizers and electronic loops.

Her breakthrough however she had with her first real album The Magic Place in 2011 in which she added piano elements to her sound and that was recorded in a studio unlike her previous songs that were made in her bedroom.
That album was highly acclaimed and charted in several album charts, especially in the New Age album charts.

After she made some experiences in music festivals she decided to move to Iceland to create her next album in 2013, named Nepenthe. She recorded it in the notorious Sundlaugin studios in Mosfellsbær. Formerly a swimming pool, Sundlaugin was once owned by Sigur Rós and converted into a record studio. Whereas her first album was 100% made by herself, Nepenthe is more like a team product. It was produced by Jonsis boyfriend Alex Somers. Moreover she was supported by the string quartet Amiina, Robert Sturla (guitaris of múm) and a girls choir.
This album has become the best-elaborated album of her, having the richest sound patterns.
In one of the songs she is actually singing text lines for the first time ("One half") however Ive decided for a different song of that album, The Harbinger because of the wonderful piano hook and the crescendo.

Barwick said the time in Iceland opened her up for new ideas and influences. However, her third album Will became a very private and intimate one, less polished than Nepenthe, with rougher edges and more experimental influences.

Between those album she was by the way touring with Sigur Rós in one of their North America tours.

It is a lovely coincidence that I could send an Southern US entry with a strong connection to Iceland while at the same time Iceland sends a band who is connected to Sourthern US. What a lovely synthesis :)

ShoeFlo

Re: Southern USA - WV 113: Julianna Barwick – The Harbinger

:susa: WV 114: Kamelot – Forever :susa:

Lyrics

There's a pain within
That I can't define
There's an empty space
Where your love used to shine
From the night we met
Till the day you died
Do you think I wished
Do you still believe I tried

All too soon we were divided
And life had just begun

Will you revive from the chaos in my mind
Where we still are bound together
Will you be there waiting by the gates of dawn
When I close my eyes forever

I belong to you
You belong to me
It's the way things are
Always meant to be
Like the morning star
And the rising sun
You convey my life
And forgive me what I've done

Into darkness and light

Save me
Reverse how I'm thinking of you
Every breath I take
Brings me closer
Closer to forever, to you
I'm waiting for the day that I'm gone

And life had just begun

-------------------

Only for the second time in my 74 editions lasting WV history I've sent a Metal song and for the very first time I've sent a song haters would call "cheesy" as it is a Power Metal song... and it is Power metal at its finest!!

USA isn't a good place for genuine metal music from what Ive heard so far but the Florida-based band "Kamelot" is a huge exception. They are incredibly good in mixing orchestral and classical elements into their catchy and infectious songs... and "Forever" is for sure one of my most catchiest tunes ever and one that you just cant get out of your mind.. thats at least how I feel about it. Four minutes of relentless power

Although I am playing for Southern USA, this choice is full of Nordic, Nowergian influences. Probably a reason why I fell in love with it?Not only is Kamelots lead singer at that time, Roy Khan, of Norwegian origin but moreover "Forever" samples one of the most beautiful pieces in Norways music history. The chorus melody is taken from "Solveig's Sang", one of the most famous and saddest pieces of Edvard Griegs "Peer Gynt suite". I am very very happy I can somehow express my admiration for Grieg, whose Peer Gynt suite is one of my favorite ensemble of classical melodies .. that kind of suites that create pictures of places into your mind youve never have been to and you dont know if they even exist, but they are wondrous and you are yearning for them because you know being there would make you a better human and it'd cleanse your soul from all negativity and all stressors.

Kamelot of course turns the original source into something very different but nevertheless they paid a great homage to Grieg with this song.

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
Re: Southern USA - WV 114: Kamelot – Forever (in honour of Edvard Grieg)

This is probably my favorite entry from you ever since I joined xheat I'm just a casual metal listener, but out of the genres, power metal is my favorite. So YES for cheesiness!!!!

Top Bottom