Southern USA

WorldVision

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
DJ5uVn8.png

Stargazer

Mod of All Things
Staff member
Re: Southern USA - WV 114: Kamelot – Forever (in honour of Edvard Grieg)

Epic choice! xbow xlove Been a fan of Kamelot for a long time and they're definitely one of the few great American metal bands. Power Metal Cheese for everyone! xmetal xheat

ShoeFlo

Re: Southern USA - WV 114: Kamelot – Forever (in honour of Edvard Grieg)

:susa: WV 115: Chingon – Malagueña salerosa :susa:

Lyrics

Qué bonitos ojos tienes
Debajo de esas dos cejas
Debajo de esas dos cejas
Qué bonitos ojos tienes

Ellos me quieren mirar
Pero si tu no los dejas
Pero si tu no los dejas
Ni siquiera parpadear.

Malagueña salerosa
Besar tus labios quisiera
Besar tus labios quisiera.
Malagueña salerosa
Y decirte niña hermosa.

Que eres linda y hechicera,
Que eres linda y hechicera
Como el candor de una rosa

Si por pobre me desprecias
Yo te concedo razon
Yo te concedo razon
Si por pobre me desprecias.

Yo no te ofrezco riquezas
Te ofrezco mi corazon
Te ofrezco mi corazon
A cambio de mi pobreza.

Malagueña salerosa
Besar tus labios quisiera
Besar tus labios quisiera.
Malaguena salerosa
Y decirte niña hermosa.

Que eres linda y hechicera,
Que eres linda y hechicera
Como el candor de una rosa.
Y decirte nina hermosa.

-------------------

Chingon is an Austin-based band founded by director Robert Rodriguez and consists of members of the rock band "Don Castillos" and the Austin Music community. The band was originally founded only for Rodriguez' movie Once upon a time in Mexico but they stayed together afterwards and contributed to the soundtrack of other Rodriguez movies. In 2004 Chingon finally produced a song for a good friend of Rodriguez, Quentin Tarantino and the second volume of his Revenge epos Kill Bill. This song is played at the very end during the credits of the movie.

Malagueña Salerosa is a traditional Mexican Son huasteco song (had to google that, it is I think an old Mariachi music style) from 1947. It is about a man telling a woman from Malaga how beautiful and perfect she is but he understands he can't get her because he is too poor and for her. This song has been covered over 200 times. One of the famous covers, beside this one, is the metal cover of Avenged Sevenhold. But I prefer a more traditionally sounding version of this song.

It is my first entry that is neither Icelandic, English, Italian or Instrumental. I hope you enjoy this very traditional, latin-american approach. It is something very new and unusual from me :D Actually I wanted to save this for the next edition and have a NF for this edition but I wasnt quick enough planning the NF so it will be probably in the next edition. I already look forward to your participation!

ShoeFlo

Re: Southern USA - WV 115: Chingon – Malagueña salerosa

Hello!

I spontaneously decided to have a quick one-artist-NF including the Dark Synth Wave duet Twin Tribes from Texas. I'd finally like to satisfy the 1980s new wave part of my taste. it turns out the US is not the best place for that, but this artist comes close to what I desire for.

One of the songs is actually released for only 5 days or something.

1. Twin Tribes – Shadows

2. Twin Tribes – Dark Crystal

3. Twin Tribes – The River

Just rate the songs from :0: (=awful) to :12: (=I fainted)

I dont know who is voting in NFs these days, so I just randomly mention a couple of users

[MENTION=9441]RainyWoods[/MENTION] [MENTION=15323]Eulaliya[/MENTION] (I will vote in yours too) [MENTION=14505]Lupus[/MENTION] [MENTION=11243]ZoboCamel[/MENTION] [MENTION=8763]Gera11[/MENTION] [MENTION=14007]lavieenrose[/MENTION] [MENTION=15700]JSSArcos[/MENTION] [MENTION=14451]ferret[/MENTION] [MENTION=12992]Fierro[/MENTION] [MENTION=12837]JamieBrown[/MENTION] (this bunch of songs is not exactly what you expect from me but let's see what you think of it) [MENTION=12848]MARCOMEN[/MENTION] [MENTION=12072]Amir[/MENTION] [MENTION=14424]Genesis[/MENTION]

I know I didnt vote in your semis for ages but I promise to vote in your next and also in the one after your next.

Deadline is 16th November, 17 CET

Voted: :us: :sc: :west: :ua: :neus: :kr: ::na :pl: :au: :fi: :jp:

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
Re: Southern USA - WV 116: Dark Synth NF

:sc: has voted! Nice to see a different side to you Flo! :D (Not that there's anything wrong with all the other wonderful sides :p ) Good little NF xcheer

ZoboCamel

Just tried to vote but your inbox is full IOTAP

Ended up doing some snooping around... I don't think I have you on FB, but I do have a few other WV members, so I just browsed through their friendlists for a Flo based in Germany and sent my votes through to there :p

So make sure to check your "other" or "message requests" or whatever else that section is called. Hopefully I've got the right person and haven't just sent a list of song names and scores to some random person :lol:

ShoeFlo

Just tried to vote but your inbox is full IOTAP

Ended up doing some snooping around... I don't think I have you on FB, but I do have a few other WV members, so I just browsed through their friendlists for a Flo based in Germany and sent my votes through to there :p

So make sure to check your "other" or "message requests" or whatever else that section is called. Hopefully I've got the right person and haven't just sent a list of song names and scores to some random person :lol:

your guess was right :lol: it could have easily happened that you sent the votes to DaFlo xcrazy

Just trying to get your message through to me despite heavy obstacles like a full inbox, thats what I call dedication!!

Thanks again for your voting!!

and @anybodyelse my inbox is cleared now

ShoeFlo

:susa: WV 116: Twin Tribes – The River :susa:

Lyrics

Death, demise
Far, forever
Divides, abyss
We’ll be together

Throw the sage in the fire
Blindfolded to desire
The burning underlines your eyes

Blindfolded to desire
Your secret’s safe without the lies

Still, a mask
Far, forever
In life, in death
We’ll be together

Blindfolded to desire

Blindfolded to desire

Blindfolded to desire

Blindfolded to desire

-------------------

Surprisingly, the brandnew single (2 weeks old) "The River" won my NF by a comfortable margin. Actually I was going to do a Shadow vs Dark Crystal battle NF before I found "The River". But apparently it was a wise decision to include it in my semi even though I'd probably slightly prefer Shadow and Dark Crystal. Anyway, I love how lush the synths are, and how dark they are going. A pretty well produced song that however is probably without a chance to make the final cause many other users eventually sent more appealing songs. Right after the draw I thought I was pretty unlucky, but actually the draw is perfectly balanced in terms of my potential supporters. Cant deny I would have loved to have USA in my semi, that would have been a win-win situation

Check the results of my semi:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19TM3Lpha_NylxSSsnL2cG6_bQfy4bhQAHJA7cAkx570/edit?usp=sharing

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Re: Southern USA | WV 116: Twin Tribes – The River

source.gif

I would have accepted any one of the songs you presented us with, but of course we go for the very best one. I especially love the vocals on The River. Some really nice darkwave stuff from a band I feel like I owe it to myself to explore some more.

ShoeFlo

Re: Southern USA | WV 116: Twin Tribes – The River

:susa: WV 117: Billie Eilish ft. Khalid – lovely :susa:

Lyrics

Thought I found a way
Thought I found a way, yeah (found)
But you never go away (never go away)
So I guess I gotta stay now

Oh, I hope some day I'll make it out of here
Even if it takes all night or a hundred years
Need a place to hide, but I can't find one near
Wanna feel alive, outside I can fight my fear

Isn't it lovely, all alone?
Heart made of glass, my mind of stone
Tear me to pieces, skin to bone
Hello, welcome home

Walkin' out of town
Lookin' for a better place (lookin' for a better place)
Something's on my mind
Always in my headspace

But I know some day I'll make it out of here
Even if it takes all night or a hundred years
Need a place to hide, but I can't find one near
Wanna feel alive, outside I can fight my fear

Isn't it lovely, all alone?
Heart made of glass, my mind of stone
Tear me to pieces, skin and bone
Hello, welcome home

Woah, yeah
Yeah, ah
Woah, woah
Hello, welcome home

-------------------

Isn't it lovely, my latest entry? Yes, two or three months ago I successfully fought my bias against mainstream artists and finally digged into Billie Eilish's music ... and this was a great decision .. I got totally spellbound. Her gentle voice, the (mostly) down-tempo compositions with those nice electronic elements, those partly cryptical and depressing lyrics, that genuine melancholia. Typically for me, I prefer her album songs over her big hits like 'Bad Guy' for example. "Lovely" however is certainly a big hit but it is a very saddening one, as it is probably about handling and fighting depressions.

I remember this was sent in a NSC edition me and Daniel hosted and I remember we underrated this a bit, gave it only low points, although having rated it pretty well after first listening. It was probably my previously mentioned 'bias' that had a negative impact on the final rating xthink

Credits must go also to Billie's brother, who produces the music and also has a solo career. That guy is 21 and is dropping world hits like crazy.

Billie herself is by the way a birthday twin of mine. She is gonna turn 18 right when I turn 25. On the 18th of December :D Brad Pitt, Steven Spielberg, Sia, Christina Aguilera, Goodfellas star Ray Liotta and Josef Stalin are another members of our '18th December club' xqueenbitch

Credits ofc also to Khalid, the reason why this is actually eligble for me as he was born in Georgia. I dont know his usual music and actually that's probably good for me but in this song he harmonizes well with Billie xheat

ShoeFlo

Re: Southern USA | WV 117: Billie Eilish ft. Khalid – lovely

After the dubious failure of Billie & Khalid and their heart-melting masterpiece (thanks to all my supporters, especially Kai and Gera from what I know so far...) I will treat you with a 5-song-NF including the best of the remaining SUSA artists I didnt send yet.

I will publish it right after the WV Final is ready. WV 118 is gonna by me last one as SUSA juror so I am hoping for an acceptable result.

After WV 118 I should start to analyse this contest better, looking at which genres and artists do well and which do not. WV is not mathematics, I know that, but I need more insights und informations about the community preferences and voting patterns to increase my chances to do better again. xthink My latest approaches were big misses. Other users choices had more appeal. But I don't wanna my statistics of five years WV membership to get destroyed

I thought about quitting the contest for a while. But I dont wanna let my friends down. So probably you will see me back in Iceland from WV 119 on.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

[MENTION=11993]whiteshoes[/MENTION] Oooo this NF sounds exciting, and should be very strong considering it's all the best stuff you haven't had the chance to send yet.

What happened with your Billie song was quite the shock, but I think it's something that's happened to pretty much all of us at least a time or two (or many) when playing this thing. I remember my Bowie flop with his best song. That was also the first time I'd ever sent something that was famous and I was thinking to myself "hmmm... is WV punishing me for going for something massively well known?". Then eight or so editions later I win with the stupidly famous Imagine, getting a score I haven't been able to top since. Sometimes we get very unlucky draws (what obviously happened to you this edition) and other times we simply misjudge a songs potential.

This game is way more enjoyable though when not focusing on results and instead just putting that energy into deciding what's going to bring you the most joy to share with others at the contest. Maybe I'm the wrong person to be preaching this kind of stuff (I was among the top 3 most successful current qualifying players after all in your chart thingy) but playing things mostly super casual this last year, and I've never enjoyed the game more than I have been recently. Results-smaltz, just having fun with the amazing WorldVision community is the best thing.

Since I've been playing this thing, you've obviously been one of my very top favourite players, and you'd probably top my most awarded points list by a landslide if I ever kept track of it. I hope you find whatever it is you need to find that's going to make you want to stay on and revitalise that interest in the contest. It makes me sad to think you were considering leaving. I've been there though so I know that feeling. I hope you keep the tasty tunes coming *inserts that smiley here with that really excited wide open mouth that I can never find*

ShoeFlo

Thanks for your nice words [MENTION=9441]RainyWoods[/MENTION] :)

In fact, I didnt consider leaving ultimately. Just thought a longer break would do wonders for me since I apperently take this game too serious. It just happened overnight (when I sent Julianna Barwick) that the songs that have done well before for me didnt work at all anymore. That baffled me a bit. And the idea that people could judge me for sending Billie Eilish have been in my mind from the moment Ive sent her and I don't even know why. Probably my problem is I think too much about what people might think about me but with 50 users playing this game people probably dont care too much about the choices of one individual.
And well, after all the WV community taste have always changed slightly over the years, but that's cool cause by that every player can at one point be successful. Maybe soon there will be the era of Southeast Brazil? We've been missing this so far.

I try to publish my NF tomorrow. There should be something nice for you! :D

ShoeFlo

WV 118: National Final "The Best of the Rest"

First of all..

HealthySmoothArmadillo-max-1mb.gif

Merry Christmas xcheers

The following are the songs I've chosen as possible entries for my last Southern States edition. NSC members might recognize a most recent flop here

and the last song requires a bit patience, so I hope youve got some of it.

1. Wild Nothing – Shadow

2. Autumns Grey Solace – Distant Mother

3. Julien Baker – Appointments

4. Akira Kosemura ft Davendra Banhart – Someday (Reworked 2017)

5. Slow Meadow – The Grandeur of a Modest Moment

Please save me from this :oops:

Voting:
Simply rate each song from :0: to :12:

Please be honest. Feel free to give 0 to songs you hate

[MENTION=9441]RainyWoods[/MENTION] [MENTION=14007]lavieenrose[/MENTION] [MENTION=14505]Lupus[/MENTION] [MENTION=15700]JSSArcos[/MENTION] [MENTION=12848]MARCOMEN[/MENTION] [MENTION=14424]Genesis[/MENTION] [MENTION=8763]Gera11[/MENTION] [MENTION=10742]daniels1000[/MENTION] and others

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
I see a potential for a """stolen""" artist here. A true icon. Will vote. xheat

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Re: Southern USA | WV 118: National Final "Best of the rest”

Devendra Banhartxheart God bless. I shall definitely be voting here and in the other NFs soon.

293217110A3566E830ED7C70184E6896820E8223

Top Bottom