But everybody knows
Everybody knows
We’re born to the fight

Hey child
Why ya hiding from the light?​

Last edited by a moderator:

A-lister

Veteran
I thought Ana was having her own national final? This news just fills me with anxiety. It's not a ballad but ballads are what Ana excels with. The fact it's in English and not beautiful Slovenian. And I'm kind of sad she hasn't written the song herself also. Voda was Ana's composition and there's always something special when an artist shares their own song. Why are American songwriters involved when she can compose her own stunning music?

I'll remain optimistic though. Voda wasn't just my favourite entry from 2020 but I'd possibly put it right at the top of my all time list. I loved it that much. Of course my expectations this year are crazy high and I was looking forward to a national final which I guess we now won't be getting. I trust that Ana has chosen well xpray I'm just sad at this moment that a ballad is off the table.

I agree with most of what's been said here, personally I think "Voda" was just "ok" though... (not bad, but kind of bland), but to completely drop that path for an imported entry in English is just meh... and if it's this Charlie Mason guy (which unfortunately looks like Charles Manson read fast) who was mentioned above, then I'm really afraid. I disliked all of the entries this person was involved with (except for Maraaya's) so it doesn't look too hopeful xshrug

EscGeek

Veteran
"I sincerely thank everyone who contributed their works, we had a hard time choosing and choosing. In fact, the song may sound great in the other singer’s interpretation, but in my vocal performance it sounds completely different."
Ana Soklič, 2021

And no, this wasn't lost in translation.xrofl

rasmuslights

Veteran
"I sincerely thank everyone who contributed their works, we had a hard time choosing and choosing. In fact, the song may sound great in the other singer’s interpretation, but in my vocal performance it sounds completely different."
Ana Soklič, 2021

yeah I really don't know what she meant by that... like lol. It sounds great if it's not sung by her? like wtf hahah

mauve

Veteran
Ana Soklič, 2021

"Lost in translation" was a fantastic movie from Sofia Coppola btw. :cool:

tuorem

I warmed up a lot to Voda through the summer and the revamp plus the amazing music video so would've been fine with that again.
It won't be a ballad but not expecting something like Fuego. Two of her favorite ESC songs are :al: Suus and :ua: 1944. Probably an atmospheric mid tempo number.

What does Slovenia ESC admirer @tuorem think?

Thank you for the shout-out ;)

This news caught me off-guard because I got used to the idea we would have a three-entry NF of some sort and, in my head, I thought she would collaborate with the same team behind "Voda" and its perfect revamp.

To be perfectly honest, while I ended up liking "Voda", I believed she could do even better this year, and given her favourite ESC entries as you mentioned, I hoped she would lean towards such vibes.

Now, the fact the chosen entry is not a ballad is intriguing for sure. The "Voda" remixes were already showing Ana's versatility, so I'm confident she can pull off a more fast-paced composition. My fear is that her rich tone might not be showcased as it should, but I will wait and see before screaming bloody murder. :LOL:

The two things that do bother me at the moment are:

1) it's in freaking English and I was crossing my fingers very hard so that we would hear Slovenian for the third time in a row :( but I assume it was the consequence of choosing a foreign composer.

2) the name "Charlie Mason" does not hype me at all on paper because his track record is not really making me hot, Italy 2012 and Slovenia 2015 give me a bit of hope, but he also perpetrated Serbia 2015 and Croatia 2019, so... I am disappointed Slovenia is resorting to such songwriters who travel from country to country when there are national talents available. Such is life, I guess.

I hope you're right about the atmospheric-ness of the entry. I hope it's worth it, which might be the reason why they cancelled the NF. If it's something random and impersonal like Israel this year, they can all square up since that would be a waste of a talent imo.

Loindici

Veteran
All, I've been thinking. One of the speculated songwriters is Charlie Mason. Charlie has written "Rise Like a Phoenix", but also "Here For You" by Maraaya. Maraaya has worked with Mason several times, and at least they already have three songs written together.

In other words, could we possibly get a Maraaya song, but sung by Ana Soklic?

Mimmon

Veteran
All, I've been thinking. One of the speculated songwriters is Charlie Mason. Charlie has written "Rise Like a Phoenix", but also "Here For You" by Maraaya. Maraaya has worked with Mason several times, and at least they already have three songs written together.

Its possible

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
"Lost in translation" was a fantastic movie from Sofia Coppola btw. :cool:

And, like that Ana Soklic quote, it ends with a blonde woman saying something completely incomprehensible.

A-lister

Veteran

Well that would explain the quote that it's a good song but not with her vocals :lol:

BorisBubbles

Veteran
yeah I really don't know what she meant by that... like lol. It sounds great if it's not sung by her? like wtf hahah
At a guess? She went for a song that is out of her usual style.

This honestly excites me. I loved "Voda" (yes, I loved a ballad. You read that right.), but I'm really curious if she's trying her hand at something fun and uptempo - this should be good, no?

rasmuslights

Veteran
At a guess? She went for a song that is out of her usual style.

This honestly excites me. I loved "Voda" (yes, I loved a ballad. You read that right.), but I'm really curious if she's trying her hand at something fun and uptempo - this should be good, no?

maybe, as a Slovene I really don't know what to think.. I mean Charlie Mason is a fine lyricist, it really depends on who produced the song and not on who wrote it.. I kinda think it's Maraaya and it's maybe a bit dark mid-tempo like their early material ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-hYG0BNqNY , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr3EYs-3O38 ) something like this which would be great, she also mentioned that they are going to make use of the pre-recorded vocals, so yes it might fit with that.. But who knows really.. we shall see. I have trust in Ana as a performer and a vocalist, but the song could be good or not.. And it's only 3 weeks till we find out!

Ezio

Veteran
The assignment is pretty clear to me. Our adorable Southern neighbour needs to stun me, which it usually does.

GianlucaTomoe

Banned
Looking at that photo, and knowing that she's gonna sing an uptempo song in English, now I'm secretly hoping her song would be something similar to this masterpiece:

• Fuego
Reactions: Mrm

rasmuslights

Veteran
well as I Slovene I'm telling you to keep your expectations low. I'm not going to say it won't be good because it may be, but it also may not be good (won't be worse than Germany tho let me tell you that xD). But yeah Ana is very stylish and has great vocals, so it will be respectable, will it be amazing? I don't know, depends on the song.

Mainshow

Veteran
According to Ana, one of the song's composers/songwriters aren't Slovene and that person has been "a successful Eurovisiong songwriter being responsible for some winners". - I just hope it's neither Ralph Siegel nor Laurell Barker.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
Probably just Raay, lol. Or Milanov. Those are my guesses.

Top Bottom