But everybody knows
Everybody knows
We’re born to the fight

Hey child
Why ya hiding from the light?​

Last edited by a moderator:

midnightsun

Veteran
I think I love this one. And I absolutely don’t see this as a religious song.
Yes, it’s gospel, yes, she‘s singing about Heavens, but it’s more like an encouraging, uplifting song, similar to „Coming Home“ (Israel 2019). It‘s actually a wonderful, adorable song. And I love strong voices.

Kaz

Y’all this is gonna stand out in semi 1. I know it’s still early days but think about things:
Pop tracks: :cy: :il: :ie: :hr: :lt: :se: + :au: :ro: (probably)
Midtempo tracks: :no: + :be: :mk: (probably)

That just leaves :az: :by :mt: :ru: as the curveballs, and from these, Destiny is the only one who we know will certainly be in the same vocal league as Ana.

It reminds me of 2018 Semi 1, which was stacked with great entries, but at the end of the day those who qualified were those which were different from the pack (Albania and Ireland) over other entries which were still quality performances, but blended in with the other songs in this semi (Azerbaijan and Switzerland). Just my thoughts!

Loindici

Veteran
Y’all this is gonna stand out in semi 1. I know it’s still early days but think about things:

That just leaves :az: :by :mt: :ru: as the curveballs, and from these, Destiny is the only one who we know will certainly be in the same vocal league as Ana.

It reminds me of 2018 Semi 1, which was stacked with great entries, but at the end of the day those who qualified were those which were different from the pack (Albania and Ireland) over other entries which were still quality performances, but blended in with the other songs in this semi (Azerbaijan and Switzerland). Just my thoughts!

We can include :mk: in this. Vasil's snippet is obviously gospel-sounding and he might be Ana's direct competition rather than Destiny since there are literally no news on Malta's song.

Last edited:

Loindici

Veteran
Edit: Ana, I've fell in love with this song and from :10: I'm gonna give you a golden point :12: .

Ali_

Exactly what I was about to say. I'm intrigued to see how similar the songs are, and how strong his live vocals are. I'd totally forgotten about Destiny! I feel like there's been radio silence from Malta.

Sammy

Veteran
The song is 3:44. Will they just cut the final bit or will they make changes inbetween?

Ali_

The song is 3:44. Will they just cut the final bit or will they make changes inbetween?
In the live broadcast on on rtvslo on Sat evening it ended at the red part, didn't have the choir part so I'm assuming that's what they're taking to Rotterdam.

rasmuslights

Veteran

well Belgium will be totally different to Norway or Macedonia. You also can't compare Irish song to the Croatian or the Lithuanian one to Cypriot one, pop has many genres within it.

Sammy

Veteran
I seriously smell a Martina Barta yes, and it concerns me. The juries NQ'ing Blackbird over fucking BABY EATS YOU is a pure hate crime.
No way, this is too dramatic, too melodic, too emotional. I'm not sure if it will qualify because we don't have all the songs yet. But Martina Barta was doomed to fail. Golden foil never saves a song with which you send the audience into the boredom-coma. But Ana will definitely have a better result than Martina and the chances of qualification are there.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
That did NOT stop Martina from raking in 82 Jury points. O__O

To be honest, maybe I AM too harsh on Ana because nobody deserves to be compared to Martyna, but I also have zero time for 'Amen', including relistening to it even once so toodeloooooo.

(she could qualify on the basis that 'Amen' is the only slow ballad in the semi so far, I guess. But once a better one shows up (Malta? I would say Macedonia but lmfao Macedonia), I do think she'll be outta here fast)

Sammy

Veteran
That did NOT stop Martina from raking in 82 Jury points. O__O

To be honest, maybe I AM too harsh on Ana because nobody deserves to be compared to Martyna, but I also have zero time for 'Amen', including relistening to it even once so toodeloooooo.

(she could qualify on the basis that 'Amen' is the only slow ballad in the semi so far, I guess. But once a better one shows up (Malta? I would say Macedonia but lmfao Macedonia), I do think she'll be outta here fast)
same here. :mrgreen:

BorisBubbles

Veteran
Lol you're austrian. Once the Austrian 'Amen' is revealed they'll rope you into their death cult, you just wait!!!

Carian

So, guys, I am finally responding here as I promised, and I must say that I am genuinely happy to see that you have listened to my request not to be nasty towards Ana just because of the religious undertones in her song. Moreover, I'd like to thank to all those that have shared very personal accounts and experiences which go beyond religion and ESC. In fact, this thread has turned unexpectedly into a very interesting discussion that I was eager to read and it made me actually to think. So, bravo, guys, and thank you for sharing.
Now, I would like to respond to individual messages, which I believe were responding to my earlier posts, but I will also comment some of the other's posts which I find interesting or compelled to comment.

@Ezio - Thanks for telling your story and how you conceive the religion. I can surely relate to you when you say your faith is your refuge in the wild world of gays. When I came out and realized that 90% of gays are hurt people who hurt me cuz they had been hurt in the past, I was so angry with the gay community that it took me a while to get over. I did not seek consolation in religion, though it might have been better if I had done like you. It took me years to find peace not only with other gays, but also with myself, cuz I honestly felt betrayed by my own "kind". Next, I agree with you that there is evil in the world and that it is real. I believe in something too, but I would not cast the world around me in Judeo-Christian terms. In fact, though it may sound funny and strange, I feel polytheistic religions much closer to my own experience, yet it is hard to be a polytheist in modern society, as there are no temples and no polytheist communities around me. And I absolutely believe in karma. English say it well with "What goes around, it comes around".

@Ezio, @rasmuslights, @ESC94 - So, about Slovenian-Austrian/German relations and perceptions, there is nothing much to add beyond from what rasmulights had already said. Austria is almost proverbially place where we want to be as a state and nation in the future: you know, organized, no corruption etc. But there are also people, who do not adore that much - you know, WW2, but these are a dying minority. Nevertheless, there is also a lot of antagonism in sports, politics, etc., so people like to call Austrians and Germans "Švabi (read: Schwabi)", which is actually a slur word and really not flattering. So, if you ever travel here in Slovenia and someone calls you "Švaba" (this is a singular form), he is not being nice to you. One final note: late in 2018 I visited Trieste because of my studies. I was quite surprised to see how many Slovenes I met there during my stay. And I mention this, because I was shocked that Slovenes in Trieste still glorify the old days of Austro-Hungarian Empire, when Trieste was the biggest port in the empire and a good place to live in for Slovenes. That was a shock for me.

@Ezio, @ESC94, @Matt - thanks for the compliments for my German post. I apologize for my word order, but I must admit that I have problems with word worder in every foreign language and even in Standard Slovenian. Namely, I hail from the most NE region of Slovenia, where we speak a special "dialect" which foreign scholars (but not Slovenian) consider a distinct Slavic language. We use also sentence rhythm as a measure to put words in order. Basically, sometimes we will put some words in very unusual places in the sentences, only because of the sentence melody. Don't ask me how this is possible, but some friends told me that I write riming sentences in Slovene, though I do not do it consciously.

@ESC94 - although already someone else here replied to your question about the "language culture" and language minorities in Slovenia, I would like to add some details, if you are interested. Western Slovenia, especially coastal regions close by the Italian border, still has an Italian minority, just like my homeregion has the Hungarian minority. These two minorities are recognized by our state and their language is coofficial with the Slovenian language, where the minority represent the majority on a local level. However! I'd like to say that while it is well taken care of these two minorities (and I am not exagerating by saying this), we have also other minorities that do not fare that well. Nowadays, I am especially upset because of ex-Yugoslavian minorities which live in Slovenia and are not recognized as such. Though they assimilate at great speed, because Slovenian and Serbo-Croatian are very close, I still believe that they deserve the right to preserve their language and culture, even though they did not settle in Slovenia 400 years ago. Their recent settlement is often used as an excuse why not to recognize them. But this argument falls flat when we consider the Roma minorities in Slovenia. In my region, we have a huge Sinthi Roma minority which is very modern and there are numerous intermarriages between Roma and local Slovenians that started in Communist Yugoslavia. Our Roma are still struggling and I find their position very dire and unfair, cuz as I told earlier, they have to be "trilingual" in order to succeed. Beside their Roma language, they must learn our local dialect and then again Standard Slovene in schools. I mean, it is crazy. Can you imagine that you are trilingual, and no-one actually recognizes this fact which is a problem in itself? Finally, I'd like to say that there are also several German families living in the villages along the Austrian border with my hometown region. You will never hear of them, but they do exist.

@Iker - about "fant", I'd like say only that this is a standard Slovenian word used in central Slovenian dialects. But since there are 9 major dialectal groups, divided into about 60 dialectal groups, trust me, there are many many different words that you will not find them in any dictionary. For instance, Slovenian Eastern Styria region calls boys "čeh" (read: Tschechi) and it is basically the same word as the official word for Czeques. In my region, we call boys "pójeb" (read: Poyeb), and I believe that a lot of Slavic people will giggle now as we all now what the word "jebati" means in Slavic languages ;)

@Lindon - the number of German loanwords in dialects goes into hunderds. A lot of them are not only simple loanwords for newly invented stuff, but also grammatical function words. In my dialect, we use for instance the words "dönok" which comes from the German "dennoch", a lot of Slovenian dialects use also the word "fejst" in the sense "very, a lot" and it comes from the German "fest". You know what is the worst thing? Words for mechanic tools. We have one set of words for tools that about 90% come from German, and then you have parallel set of Standard Slovene words, which probably 90% of people never use in daily speech. As a translator, I am always petrified when I get to translate a text about mechanics. I know these words from daily speech and I know exactly what they mean, but I really do not know how they are called in Standard Slovene. Languages are a mess and Slovenian is no different. In the end, you should know that the Standard Slovenian language is basically an artificial creation of the 19th-century intellectuals. Its true that it is based like 80% on the forms and vocabulary of the Slovenian Central dialects, but in reality no-one ever spoke like this here.

@Pål Nordahl, @Sammy, @HayashiM - guys, thanks for sharing your stories and your opinions, but I still disagree with your position. Sammy literally wrote he finds the song as a hostile towards what he is. As an underpinning reasoning for your aversion and "fat 0" for Ana, you, Sammy, detail out your very personal and tragic account how you had a hard time accepting yourself because of the religious group/denomination/community you were part of when you were younger. I despise people and communities who do this what your community did to you, but allow me to say only that I had exactly the same experience as you, but I was not raised in a religious family or community. I hated myself, I rejected my homosexuality until I was 26 years old. I denied myself, despised myself, and even tried to hurt myself, because I thought that my family and friends would never accept me for who I am, as I was hearing them poke nasty jokes about gays etc. When I told my mum I was gay, I was ready and prepared to lose her, as I was 100% sure she would reject me. I had 100 scenarios running in my head what I would say, how I would respond to her, but I was not ready for what happened. You know what happened? She laughed loudly. Sincere laugh. It took her several days to think about it and only several days later she told me not to talk about it with other people about it, cuz they would not understand it and I would make my life harder. She was right. On the other hand, my sister's reaction was not nice, though I was sure that she would be the one who would be the only one to accept me unconditionally. We all have stories, but what I want to say is that my family is not religious, we do not belong to any church or religious cult, yet I was going through the same hell as you. So, apologies, if it offends you, but my case shows that people are just nasty when they want to be, regardless of the fact if they are religious or not. Anyways, is faith or religion a reason to hate a song, a person, or anything? I don't think so. People who hate will hate no matter what, and Holy Books and religion(s) are just a handy justification for their hatred. That's my view and it is fine to disagree, but please, do not take my position as an attempt to undermine your struggle or (past) sufferings. I am not, I am just saying that people twist religion into something bad. Religion per se is not and cannot be bad.

@A-lister - I agree with your summary and subscribe to your position 100%. You penned it perfectly. I end this debatte here.

Finally, I'd like to add one last thing to this overlong post. I have seen numerous reactions to Ana's song, but none was as nasty and filthy as Wiwiblogg's. I mean, Wiwiblogg is really losing it. Their reactions and comments are simply unbearable as they behave as the ultimate authority for ESC. I think the leaders of that website absolutely need a reality check. They literally lambasted and spit on Ana's song, only because she forgot to inform them that the song is not a ballad. That fake acting how they expect the song to turn into some dance shtic was absolutely undigestable. And one final point - Devan was explaining all the time that Ana's song were a ballad, though she promised her song was not a ballad. Now, please, correct me, if I am mistaken, but I actually agree with Ana when she said that this was not a ballad. Even Wikipedia states clearly that in modern English usage the term ballad is used for a popular love song, particularly in pop and rock music. So, if a ballad is a love song, can please someone explain to Devan that Ana is not singing about love or broken heart? Ana's song is an empowering song with the message of hope and overcoming hardships. Wiwibloggs is plain simply obnoxious and I hope their blog slowly vanishes for their biased, stupid "reporting". And if I were Ana, I would absolutely decline interviews with them, as they are being FAKE NEWS, yet they call themselves "experts". Yeah, right.

ESC94

@Carian

I knew that Italian is some sort of minority language in that region, when we drove to :hr: for our holidays we noticed that the place-name signs were bilingual, like Koper/Capodistria or Piran/Pirano.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
Slovenia and Croatia have been a part of the Venetian Serene Republic for centuries. Dubrovnik, Koper and Zadar were important trade centers from the Middle Ages through the back end of the renaissance.

The Venetian influence is also incidentally why both countries are predominantly catholic despite being culturally slavic.

#HistoryNerd.

Carian

@Carian

I knew that Italian is some sort of minority language in that region, when we drove to :hr: for our holidays we noticed that the place-name signs were bilingual, like Koper/Capodistria or Piran/Pirano.

Many Slovenians understand at least basics of Italian, but I would not say that the switching between Italian and Slovenian is something common in Slovenian speakers there. Sure, some learn it perfectly, but the majority does not. I think the Italian minority here speaks better Slovenian than vice versa. It is the same with the Hungarian here in my region. I know a lot of Hungarian words, especially the basic pleasantries, but I surely do not speak Hungarian. It is too distinct and since Hungarian is not an Indo-European language, you can't learn it easily. English and German (the latter among older people) are surely the languages of communication with foreigners here, though many younger people now speak also Spanish because of the telenovelas from Mexico and South America. I also learnt Spanish as I have family in Argentina and some French, as I have family in France... So, basically, if you speak German, you should get around just fine in Slovenia. But I have to admit one thing which I hated when working with German tourists. I can do some German, but we learn here Hochdeutsch. Occasionally I got tourists from Switzerland and some German/Austrian regions with heavy dialects and they would stick to their dialects in talking to me. I was like "What language do you speak? I cant understand you, speak proper German!" ;) I am also a huge fan of Alpine ski, and I watch often Austrian channels, and some commentators are simply impossible to understand as they speak with thick accent in their dialects. But all in all, German and Austrian tourists were always nice and educated, I loved them. And unlike Slovenian tourists, they were not stingy :D

Top Bottom