But everybody knows
Everybody knows
We’re born to the fight

Hey child
Why ya hiding from the light?​

Last edited by a moderator:

Morty

Trondheim, Norway / Niavara, Balearica Island
ok not trying to be nationalistic here, because I'm not a huge fan of the song as well. But to give every ballad a 1? Like try to be a bit more open to different genres. I'm also not a fan of violent-pop-rock Finland is serving, but I would still give the song a 6, because I see some qualities in it.

Heck I HATE Germany's entry, but still gave it a 2 haha.
Well, there are no rules without exceptions, but I look to Eurovision to party. A ballad is as far away from a party I can get, and I simply don't enjoy listening to them. But like I said, there are exceptions. Metallica's "Nothing Else Matters" is one of them. :)

That being said, there might be remixes of this at some point, and that can do wonders (even with a religious theme), but it won't change my views on the original version.

CPV4931

It´s a good ballad with a great voice, but I don´t feel that hyped about the song like some fans do

Kaz

I'm honestly shocked at how lukewarm this song has been received by the forum.
Maybe I'm just overexhausted or maybe it's the full moon or maybe it's just because Slovenia has a soft spot in my heart, but Amen brought me to tears when I first heard it, when the final chorus hit me with a wall of sound I just exploded into tears and I'm not even religious.
I know that a lot of people aren't going to enjoy a song about religion, and I totally am in the same boat, but the lyrics in this song are definitely more subtle than would be expected (not to mention her accent making it difficult to understand the words a lot of the time). It's not like she's singing about conversion therapy.
:12: points and I can see this doing verrryyy well with the juries.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
I'm kind of disappointed with myself here as my first couple of times with Amen were spoiled due to my head immediately starting to think about the reaction the song would get from fans. What would be said about it. It was like as if I was listening with someone else's ears and not my own. I never do that and don't know why I did so on this occasion. I guess as I was so eager for my favourite artist from 2020 to come back with a song that would finally show everyone just why I was so crazy about her, and Amen didn't feel like that entry. I knew pretty much instantly that it was going to be another uphill struggle (I'm used to it all with my favourites by now of course) and I feared the religious lyrics were going to be a big turn off for many here. But by the time that gorgeous bridge hit I was almost in tears and I got humongous goosebumps as Ana's voice soared into that final chorus like an eagle.

Amen was created for Lavieenrose and myself to have something to talk about for the next few months. A majestic, mature diva ballad with an earth-shatteringly powerful chorus. Goodness, it hits so hard. I'm not a religious person but I consider myself spiritual, at least I try my hardest to be, and I feel something in this. I've literally been fist pumping during the finale of the song when the heavens open and that beat pounds hard. Ana injects such tremendous feeling into it all and it's an infectious three minutes. The songwriters did a wonderful job here. It all builds itself up in such a magnificent way and the reward is worth it and then some. It's Herculean.

To say I love it would be an understatement. Eurovision 2021 has officially started for me tonight. My first eargasm of the year. Amen is not going to be for everyone but it's the most me-pleasing ballad that's been cooked up in quite a while. Sign me the... fudge up to it (holy fudge of course)!!!

TAKE MY 12 SLOVENIA 🙌 I'm overwhelmed. Thank you Ana Soklič. I really needed this. I'm so thrilled right now.

6sWU5a.gif

HayashiM

Veteran
Voda was better.

When I consider the religious inspiration (and the borderline alt-right Catholic stuff that possibly goes here with it), I am really tempted to post a big fat 0 and be done with it. But that would've probably been wrong, especially when Ana's curves manage to shine through an otherwise rather modest outfit and well, pardon my French, generally overthrow any religious merits.
Once I mentally reframe Amen as a closing credits song of a Hollywood blockbuster about bravery and perseverance, as cliché and forced as that is, the song becomes quite powerful. I find some of the beat choices a little incomprehensible, and as has been mentionned, the production feels rushed, but I can still give the overall package a perhaps quite generous :7:. I feel for all who had been hoping for better though, so was I.

Anyway, juries are already wetter than Mumbai during monsoon season, so there's definitely quite a potential...

Mrm

Veteran
Oh thanks God at least @RainyWoods ADORES this..now I feel a bit better. :)
Cause I really don't like it..and every time I listen to it i have some Slovenaian politicians in front of my eyes.. :(

Ianp16

Well this is a... choice.

Just watched the official ESC Youtube video and was more taken aback by Ana's camp lipsyncing and deep voice than the actual song.

It's giving me Anastasia does Molitva on second listen.

Sing, Ana!

*throws purse*

Iker

Veteran
Too ordinary for me. I actually like it less than Voda. But her vocals are very good I admit and the bridge is very pretty. I am glad though that RainyWoods likes it.

Last edited:

Ezio

Veteran
sLOVEnia and Austria are just twins separated at birth and adopted by different parents with different languages.

I also sLove the fact that el Diablo has fierce opposition in conquering the event.

on the downside, this song is too modest, unexciting, her husky voice and the gospel choir don’t blend well. I was bored. So sorry.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
@tuorem @RainyWoods

Was she singing this live in EMA? Is lanp 16 just trolling us? :eek:

Hmmm the vocal was stunning but to my ears didn't quite sound like that from a studio recording. Having said that, I watched it again and paid special attention to her lips and now I'm confused. We'll find out soon I guess when the song is released on Spotify, itunes etc

Carian

Come to church of Slovenia, brothers and sisters. Give an amen!

I like the song. I liked the revamped Voda last year and I am liking it again. The song sounds similar to Voda at the beginning, but the second half is like coming to church. I am literally expecting some pretty black granny in her Sunday-church attire to hand me a cookie while I am listening to it.

Apart from this, let me say only that I am really intrigued how the native English-speakers react to the lyrics. Comments in Wiwibloggs were really nasty. However, I saw a couple of reactions on YT and native speakers are reporting goosebumps. So....

I gave Ana 8 points, though she deserves 12, but I did so only not to appear biased :)

• Undo my Sad
Reactions: Mrm

Carian

Not gonna lie, I'm disappointed and kinda devastated by that. :( I am so rarely disappointed by my land of heart.

Mason was hit or miss, and this time it's a miss for me. I am listening to the song right now and I don't have anything positive to say about it: it's neither catchy nor particularly emotional, it's veeery slow and the build-up does not hit, the arrangements are as vanilla as they could be, and last but not least, there is no strong melody to make up for it.

I'm definitely not against gospel or religious-inspired lyrics, but this is not a solid attempt in that genre imo. The "hallelujah we're glorious" hook is borderline cringe. And I believe "Voda" showcased Ana's voice better tbh (sorry Kai, the comparison is inevitable).

OMG no! :(

Ana's voice deserves 12pts, but the song is bland and cookie-cutter... It pains me, but I will give :3: points in the poll. I already know I'll never listen to "Amen" on my own. It does not grab me at all.

I'm certain Ana will perform it properly in Rotterdam, but if it happens to score decently, I sadly won't celebrate. :( Still, good luck to her.
xangryxcoffeeIOTAP You better watch your tongue, Mister.

Carian

Hi, hi, hi, sweetie/cukeru moj, what's up? I stopped by to see what nasty comments Ana is getting. Well, here people are actually kind. Don't read Wiwibloggs. I really like song, and I think it will qualify. If Hvala ne qualified, this should go through easily.

Ana is selling us hope and faith in these miserable times. Grannies, religious people, gospel lovers and people who can sing will appreciate Ana and her song.

And even if she does not qualify, who cares? How many great songs have been left in semis in the ESC history? Too many. I really don't bother :)

Sorry, I am off. I wanna see Trump's speech in CPAC! Talk to you soon!

• Scream
Reactions: Mrm

Mrm

Veteran
Hi, hi, hi, sweetie/cukeru moj, what's up? I stopped by to see what nasty comments Ana is getting. Well, here people are actually kind. Don't read Wiwibloggs. I really like song, and I think it will qualify. If Hvala ne qualified, this should go through easily.

Ana is selling us hope and faith in these miserable times. Grannies, religious people, gospel lovers and people who can sing will appreciate Ana and her song.

And even if she does not qualify, who cares? How many great songs have been left in semis in the ESC history? Too many. I really don't bother :)

Sorry, I am off. I wanna see Trump's speech in CPAC! Talk to you soon!
Well I can't conect to this song at all.. :( But I'm glad you like it.. :)
Do you know, did she sing it live in EMA tonight?

Top Bottom