Contact us

Slovenia SLOVENIA 2018 - Lea Sirk - Hvala, ne!

How do you rate the entry?

38 19.8%

17 8.9%

20 10.4%

17 8.9%

13 6.8%

18 9.4%

18 9.4%

10 5.2%

9 4.7%

11 5.7%

21 10.9%

• Total voters

John1

Re: SLOVENIA 2018

actually the article has been translated badly...original article here only states that the artists will have to perform in national language in the semi finals
So basically like in :is::)

xwedgie = What's happening to the wishes and the will of all of the Eurofans.

They should really make this rule be extended to the final, in contrast to the Icelandic one. I'd even agree with the EBU, if they decided to introduce the language rule at the ESC again. "Celebrate diversity" would've been the most flawless embodiement of this kind of decision.

tuorem

I don't see the point of "forcing" artists to have lyrics in Slovene if it's just for the semis tbh, that's artificial if the songs end up being sung in English by the time the final starts. Iceland have that system and they were always subject to complains about how most some of their entries have lost a part of their mystery once sung in English. In addition to that, one can't say it dramatically improves their chances of qualification and/or success. :rolleyes: Ég Á Líf got a better result than most of their attempts this decade...

We'll see what it will translate to anyway. I guess it's time for Slovene to make a comeback: it's been a long time since Verjamem and Cvet Z Juga were sent. :D

John1

I don't see the point of "forcing" artists to have lyrics in Slovene if it's just for the semis tbh, that's artificial if the songs end up being sung in English by the time the final starts. Iceland have that system and they were always subject to complains about how most some of their entries have lost a part of their mystery once sung in English. In addition to that, one can't say it dramatically improves their chances of qualification and/or success. :rolleyes: Ég Á Líf got a better result than most of their attempts this decade...

We'll see what it will translate to anyway. I guess it's time for Slovene to make a comeback: it's been a long time since Verjamem and Cvet Z Juga were sent. :D

Why has Verjamem done so bad back in 2012? I can't still figure it out.

By the way, Iceland is always complaining about their awful results, but they're not attempting to improve their selection process or at least changing some parts of the rules. I'm tired with their annoyance, because you can't be upset with the outcome, when you aren't putting your whole heart into it.

tuorem

Why has Verjamem done so bad back in 2012? I can't still figure it out.

By the way, Iceland is always complaining about their awful results, but they're not attempting to improve their selection process or at least changing some parts of the rules. I'm tired with their annoyance, because you can't be upset with the outcome, when you aren't putting your whole heart into it.

I guess Verjamem's failure is open to interpretation. Some say the song/performance were bad, etc, which solves the problem quickly :lol: For me, I think it was because Eva Boto was the only Balkan artist of the semi to be a nobody at that time: Zeljko, Kaliopi, Maya Sar and Nina Badric were all famous and more experienced artists and, as they all performed Balkan-sounding ballads in native language, I guess they were fighting for the same voters. Serbia, Bosnia and Macedonia got through, Croatia was left behind because there wasn't much support left (I mean they couldn't all qualify, sadly), and Slovenia got overlooked despite having Vladimir Graić as a composer. :( That doesn't explain it all, the songs themselves certainly influenced the voting, but popularity-wise in the Balkan region, Eva Boto was starting with minus points compared with her competitors :D And as Slovenia never receives gratuitous points from neighbours (or anyone else)...

John1

I guess Verjamem's failure is open to interpretation. Some say the song/performance were bad, etc, which solves the problem quickly :lol: For me, I think it was because Eva Boto was the only Balkan artist of the semi to be a nobody at that time: Zeljko, Kaliopi, Maya Sar and Nina Badric were all famous and more experienced artists and, as they all performed Balkan-sounding ballads in native language, I guess they were fighting for the same voters. Serbia, Bosnia and Macedonia got through, Croatia was left behind because there wasn't much support left (I mean they couldn't all qualify, sadly), and Slovenia got overlooked despite having Vladimir Graić as a composer. :( That doesn't explain it all, the songs themselves certainly influenced the voting, but popularity-wise in the Balkan region, Eva Boto was starting with minus points compared with her competitors :D And as Slovenia never receives gratuitous points from neighbours (or anyone else)...

I do wonder how well it'd have done this year, if Eva Boto went on to compete instead of Omar in the first semi final. I reckon that her entry would have got less chances to be left aside than in 2012, as there weren't plenty of famous singers if I'm remembering it properly. :mrgreen: The same would have occured with Nina and Croatia, as they could have qualified back in 2012 with the current voting system and the two distinct set of points.
However... the point is that the performance isn't the only viable reason why a song can miss the final out, though it can be implied. The language with which the entry is sung along with the amount of countries, which are usually giving some points to the one we're dealing with can be a proof of how an entry can be underrated sometimes.

EscGeek

Veteran

Isn't it ironic that after two non-qualifications we're trying to imitate Iceland...a country with three nq's in a row? xrofl

tuorem

I do wonder how well it'd have done this year, if Eva Boto went on to compete instead of Omar in the first semi final. I reckon that her entry would have got less chances to be left aside than in 2012, as there weren't plenty of famous singers if I'm remembering it properly. :mrgreen: The same would have occured with Nina and Croatia, as they could have qualified back in 2012 with the current voting system and the two distinct set of points.
However... the point is that the performance isn't the only viable reason why a song can miss the final out, though it can be implied. The language with which the entry is sung along with the amount of countries, which are usually giving some points to the one we're dealing with can be a proof of how an entry can be underrated sometimes.

Every edition is different, so it's difficult to say what would have happened this year. Of course, the performance is an element amongst others, there could be plenty of reasons why an act qualifies or fails to do so. Sometimes, it comes down to the right moment. Indeed someone singing in Serbian might attract more votes than someone singing in Slovene because it's a more widespread and popular language. But I believe language isn't the insurmountable barrier some people speak about - even more nowadays - it's an asset that could actually make people pay extra attention to a song.

Isn't it ironic that after two non-qualifications we're trying to imitate Iceland...a country with three nq's in a row? xrofl

Trying?! I thought you stopped trying after Maraaya! :lol: I mean I understand the disappointment because "Here For You" was bomb and it sadly didn't do as well as it should have, but still... :mrgreen: You need to pull yourself together xheart xkiss Just kidding! I miss the time when I was rooting for you!

John1

Every edition is different, so it's difficult to say what would have happened this year. Of course, the performance is an element amongst others, there could be plenty of reasons why an act qualifies or fails to do so. Sometimes, it comes down to the right moment. Indeed someone singing in Serbian might attract more votes than someone singing in Slovene because it's a more widespread and popular language. But I believe language isn't the insurmountable barrier some people speak about - even more nowadays - it's an asset that could actually make people pay extra attention to a song.

When viewers are really determined to hear how well an entry can sound with this kind a language, they're totally able to focus on this, and tend to vote for it much more than if it was performed in English.

anto475

EMA is my favourite NF, they do such a wonderful show every year. My only misgiving is that the juries and Slovenian public keep selecting the wrong songs. Blue and Red was atrocious in every single way, it was possibly the worst song to ever hit the Eurovision stage. That was, at least, until Omar Naber inflicted On My Way upon us all in Kyiv. Please Slovenia, vote for Raiven in 2018!!

tuorem

Three weeks ago, Raiven posted a picture of her on her instagram account, with the sentence: "Can't wait to get back to the studio"...

She toured in Slovenia and released her debut album "Magenta" this summer (which contains 10 songs, including Crno Bel and Zažarim), so either she missed the time she spent recording it or she really plans to get back to the studio (which would mean another Eurovision attempt, I can't imagine her working on a full album so soon). I sincerely hope it is the latter.

To me, Crno Bel was really special and powerful (quite alternative/underground-sounding + it showcased her vocals), while Zažarim was an ear worm that was more impactful and mainstream at first listen for Eurovision (while retaining originality, the melody was great), however the latter wasn't as well-crafted as the former arrangement-wise imo (more harp and some variations towards the end wouldn't have been useless). Still, both songs deserved to be picked in their respective years imo.

With the right upgrade (better camera angles), I think the staging of Zažarim with the lights would have looked fantastic (like Sweden 2014). Pity.

Personally, I think she chose the right songs to enter EMA (her repertoire is interesting, you should check "Magenta" out if you haven't already) and she is a Eurovision fan, so she knows how the contest works (for visuals and stuff), I hope she keeps her usual team. Also, I hope she doesn't "normalise" herself or try her luck in English: her accent is rather good, but her voice sounds more mysterious in her mother tongue imo.

I'm convinced Raiven remains an ace Slovenia should play. There is always a possibility another convincing package might come out of the blue (which I would be happy about) or Raay might manage to write another entry as good as "Here For You" or "Round And Round" ("Fse" and "Heart Of Gold" were nothing special tbh), yet for now she should try again, she's a real artist. Maybe third time's a charm? :)

tuorem

The Queen is Back xcheer xheart

And so are you :D

I'm glad she promotes Povej, one of the most radio-friendly songs from her debut album. Finally, she's shot a new music video, it's been a long time since the first one. :) On point visually, as always.

Next step: we need a brand new track for EMA xpray This electronically-infused gloomy pop-rock style is her thing, she has to try again.

tuorem

No kidding, I find "Diamond Duck" better than their recent works and collabs. :lol: the instrumental and melody are low-key popping, even though the final product could have used some more work to avoid repetitiveness.

Maraaya have lost their musical clairvoyance lately to me, I'm still waiting for the next banger that's not a half-baked demo or American trendy pop mimicry.

They definitely have the talent and means to write a solid standout track for Slovenia again, I wonder if they'll send something for EMA this year.

Regarding BQL, they stated they wouldn't come back (or so soon at least) in an interview recorded right after EMA 2017. Wait and see xthink I don't like "Ni Predaje, Ni Umika" (props for singing in Slovenian though, it sounds better than English).

EscGeek

Veteran

Oh, well I love this new bql single...their best so far..
It took me a while to even notice "Muza" .. :oops:
"Heart of Gold" was likeable since the first day, but still, very overhyped imo

"Ni Predaje, Ni Umika" (No surrender, no withdrawal) is a masterpiece! xmusic

elanyvx

Raiven could skip for EMA 2018!

- Many online commentators encourage you to sign up for the EMA Festival again as they see you on the international Eurovision stage. Thinking about this, will you potentially do the exact song with this in mind?

Raiven: I really like EMA and I would be happy to show up on her stage again. Next year certainly not, perhaps in a few years. In particular, I do not want to write a song with the intention of sending it to EMA. I also sincerely feel that the team would not want to write a song that would only be on the stage of EMA. We are doing music that is a bit different and not just typical hits that would "burn" on EMA. In fact, I'm glad that it is.

http://www.24ur.com/ekskluziv/glasba/video-iskreno-med-saro-in-raiven-ni-veliko-razlike.html

Top Bottom