Contact us

Slovakia SLOVAKIA 2023 - not taking part

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

dixenborg

I hope they do it. If the Czechs can, they can.

Financial issues might be a thing but low viewing figures/lack of interest are entirely the fault and responsibility of the broadcaster.

If you don’t enter, and when you do send underwhelming and non-competitive entries (2010 excluded) then people won’t get excited.

elanyvx

The former director Václav Mika was head of Slovak TV from August 2012 to August 2017, and Slovakia never met again at Eurovision. The last participation of the country dates back to May 2012, therefore before the election of Václav Mika.

The current general manager Jaroslav Rezník from 2017 to today has done the same. Among other things, Jaroslav has re-nominated as general manager, in case he wins again I don't think Slovakia will return to the contest, what reason would he have if for 5 years under his leadership he kept out the country? Who knows what the other 7 think they will do if they win.

boyardor

My feelings about Slovakia are 50/50. With the change in the director of RTVS I think we can expect a big comeback but also a comeback not at all. But I believe that Slovakia will come back...

rasmuslights

Veteran
My feelings about Slovakia are 50/50. With the change in the director of RTVS I think we can expect a big comeback but also a comeback not at all. But I believe that Slovakia will come back...
i think after belarus and russia not being in the competition, ebu will try a bit harder to get some countries back.

dixenborg

Russia’s and Belarus’ absence doesn’t make much difference in my view. If we look at the last decade it’s always going a bit up or down either side of 40.

And we don’t actually know what efforts are made to convince other countries anyway.

rasmuslights

Veteran
Russia’s and Belarus’ absence doesn’t make much difference in my view. If we look at the last decade it’s always going a bit up or down either side of 40.

And we don’t actually know what efforts are made to convince other countries anyway.

Belarus' absence wouldn't make a difference but Russia's does since it was such a large market.

I'm speculating tho.

A-lister

Veteran
I don't care about Slovakia. Even 2010 was weak for me

I don't really get why some want some countries out just because they don't like the entries they sent.

Now, there are countries that have yet to send something I personally like to the contest, but I still want them in because 1) I think they still have their rightful place in the contest*/** and 2) I will still give them the benefit of the doubt that they can learn and get better (we do have such examples throughout the ESC history) and 3) The more the merrier ! */**

2010 still remains my all time favorite Eurovision entry, but I can admit the live version didn't deliver. I am also one of few (?) that liked some of their 90's entries as well as their 2009 debut one, however after 2010 all went downhill from there but I still think Slovakia can deliver with the right overall concept (song + performance).

* Except for fascist countries committing war crimes of course
** As long as no further non-European expansion

lilka

The former director Václav Mika was head of Slovak TV from August 2012 to August 2017, and Slovakia never met again at Eurovision. The last participation of the country dates back to May 2012, therefore before the election of Václav Mika.

The current general manager Jaroslav Rezník from 2017 to today has done the same. Among other things, Jaroslav has re-nominated as general manager, in case he wins again I don't think Slovakia will return to the contest, what reason would he have if for 5 years under his leadership he kept out the country? Who knows what the other 7 think they will do if they win.

Why is always something wrong with all the Jaroslavs or Jarosławs? Polish people know something about it. :ROFLMAO:

nofuxCZ

New director of RTVS is Ľuboš Machaj. He is certainly the better option for Slovakia to return to Eurovision. He has worked in public TV/radio most of his life. In early 00s, he created a programme about alternative music on Slovak TV. Between 2006-2011, he was a programme director at Slovak public radio and between 2011-2012 at Slovak public TV. He was in the internal RTVS jury for Eurovision 2011 which selected TWiiNS. I wouldn't be too optimistic though, I guess it will mostly depend on finances which don't seem to be in a good state.

btw, Luboš's transgender son lives in Prague and is a pretty known LGBT+ activist and known director/producer (my :cz: friends here probably know the crimi podcast České Podsvětí) etc. :mrgreen:

lilka

btw, Luboš's transgender son lives in Prague and is a pretty known LGBT+ activist and known director/producer (my :cz: friends here probably know the crimi podcast České Podsvětí) etc. :mrgreen:
Nice title! Does it mean "Czech underworld"? :D

Top Bottom