15 7.4%

10 5.0%

5 2.5%

39 19.3%

• Total voters

Miguel

Eurovision said:
Max Jason Mai rocks the stage for Slovakia

The only hard rock song in the 2012 Eurovision Song Contest comes from Slovakia, and we spoke to the representative of the Central European country right before his rehearsal today. Max Jason Mai said that he was confident and not nervous, and he even performed an acoustic version of Don't Close Your Eyes for us, just before delivering yet another flawless performance on stage.

"I'm so tired, it's hard to have a rehearsal in the morning", Max Jason Mai jokingly told Eurovision.tv when he was preparing himself backstage for his second rehearsal today. "I'm not nervous at all, I never am when I go on stage", he described his feelings.

As he had presented special hard rock versions of several 2012 Eurovision Song Contest entries on his official party (see video below), we asked him if he could do it the other way round for us and perform a ballad version of his hard-rock song Don't Close Your Eyes - which he spontaneously did, just grabbing his acoustic guitar and singing along!

"Tonight there will be a very important event - the final of the World Ice Hockey Championships, and it's between Slovakia and Russia - I'm very excited about that already", he said before going on to the microphone checks.

On stage, Max Jason Mai started his performance on a dark stage, with just a spotlight on him. Then flashing white lights appear to show the whole rock band supporting him.

The Slovak stage performance was bursting with energy, as Max Jason Mai was moving fast all over the stage, running onto both catwalks, on the left and the right side of the stage. The camerawork during those parts was very dynamic, using tracking shots and wide angles, so that the motion came across very well on the screens.

All band members appeared in black leather outfits today, and they did rock the stage with their powerful and refreshing performance!

Jana Majorova, the Head of the Slovak Delegation, started the press conference by introducing the team, and by showing a little puppet called Maxi, resembling Max Jason Mai, which was made for charity, in support of deaf people.

A journalist asked Max Jason Mai if he had ever considered recording a Slovak language version of his Eurovision entry. "Probably it would sound a little weird", he said. He then translated the lyrics of Don't Close Your Eyes, and then said: "You see, it doesn't really rhyme, and it sounds different."

On his second rehearsal, the Slovak singer commented: "It was so so so much better than the first rehearsal! We felt really at home there. Probably there is just one thing I'd like to change, and that's my hair - I tried to make a miracle happen this morning, but the miracle went wrong", we jokingly added.

"We don't like playbacks or even half playbacks, we are real musicians. That's also why we haven't made promo performances all over Europe before the Eurovision Song Contest, as everywhere they wanted us to do full playback, and that's just very difficult for metalcore music. We want to play live", Max Jason Mai explained.

About his fellow contestants, he said: "I have to say I just love Euro-Neuro, that's my favourite song!"

Grinch

Good luck Max! I really hope you qualify. Otherwise there won't be any rock song in the final :/

Sean

Admin
Staff member
Hoping this'll be great tonight, good luck Slovakia! Of all the countries, you've been out of the final for the longest (Montenegro and San Marino not counted) so it'd be great to see you there :mrgreen:

Jeffie

Should have qualified imo.. It was a great song just hit my taste :)

A-lister

Veteran
I'm not surprised with his non-qualification.

Neither am I.

Seriously Slovakia, I know you failed, but go back to 2009-2010 local style instead of these un-authentic wannabe American stuff you send the past two years.

I REALLY hope you'll stay with us. But this song was a sure non-qualifier.

handeyener

Noooo!!!!!!, im sad this song didnt qualify, it was powerful and unique!!!!, the positive part is that i will continue listening to this after the festival

Cooler

Banned
This song is a cpmplete contrast to the stuff I listen to and like.
At least he's got the biggest one, you know... :p

Miguel

I loved it!!!!!! I was jumping like crazy in my living room during the performance. I had to vote for Max. :lol: Thank you, Slovakia.

vavera4ka

love the song... in the studio recording.
he was in tune on the verse, but refrain.... >.< so so bad...
it could qualify only on perfect vocals, Max failed miserably in that department.
not surprised at all

Rusch

That performance was a complete nightmare. No wonder that he failed to qualify.

nofuxCZ

I'm disappointed :/
And also worried about :sk: participation in 2013.
Eurovision had quite good ratings in the past and for the Slovak TV, it was usually one of the more successful projects of the whole year. (market share above 20%)
But this year, first semifinal - 6% market share, second semifinal 9%

A-lister

Veteran
I'm disappointed :/
And also worried about :sk: participation in 2013.
Eurovision had quite good ratings in the past and for the Slovak TV, it was usually one of the more successful projects of the whole year. (market share above 20%)
But this year, first semifinal - 6% market share, second semifinal 9%

I say bring back the Slovak selection of '09-'10 (GREAT selection method) and DROP this whole "wannabe American" stuff.

dezbee2008

I'm not surprised this was dropped from the finals. It wasn't one of my favorites anyway.

Top Bottom