Contact us

Semi / Final qualification speculations

Fluke

So, it's time to start guessin' who we think will go on to the semis and final, or who we think should. My own guess is somewhere between these two, so here it is:

Guaranteed:
Oklahoma: Alexa - Wonderland
Just no doubt about this one, easily the most talked about entry already, and the most advanced and distinctive staging. Even with a vocal failure, it's hard for me to imagine this not being in the top 4.

Pretty sure:
Connecticut: Michael Bolton - Beautiful World
The most famous artist to the overall audience this year, and the song really isn't bad, though it isn't superb either. It's got a positive, kind of inspirational tone to it that's unlike any other entry, which helps it even further, and it's hard to imagine this not making the top 4 that qualifies, though a disappointing vocal performance and dreary staging might make it end up just missing out.

Mississippi: Keyone Starr - Fire
Simple idea well executed and delivered, i feel pretty sure that this is going to be among the qualifiers too, though not as surely as the top two.

Inbetweeners:
Wyoming - Ryan Charles - New Boot Goofin'
Call it cheezy, even unmusical, but this is just so much fun, and totally unlike anything else - or anything people expect from this contest. I think this might get enough votes to qualify, but it's gonna be very tight for the 4th place.

Rhode Island - Hueston - Held On Too Long
The other obvious choice, the typical "simple and serious entry", good vocalist with minimal staging and the no-gimmicks-gimmick.

Wisconsin - Jake'O - Feel Your Love
He's really doing his own thing, and i kind of want him to qualify (over Michael Bolton or even Alexa) but it's probably not happening, unless several of the above do worse than expected.

Minnesota - Yam Haus - Ready to Go
Kind of like this song, it has potential to be really catchy but the vocals aren't very good, just weak and unimpressive, but if they somehow improve and really nail the staging a qualification could still happen.

Out:
Puerto Rico: Christian Pagán - Loko
The strongest of these bottom 4, but i just find it silly, forced and plasticky, with nothing sincere or memorable about it. If it was to make it, it's entirely because of the language, genre and because it's Puerto Rico - but there's probably stronger Spanish language/latin style entries coming, anyway.

Arkansas: Kelsey Lamb - Never Like This
This isn't doing anything at all for me, and i think it's not really going to get noticed.

Iowa: Alisabeth von Presly - Wonder
Just hideously noisy and screamy "girl power dance pop" we know too much from Melodifestivalen and the likes. Might have had a better chance if Alexa wasn't in the same heat.

Indiana: UG skywalkin ft. Maxie - Love In My City
This is just plain bad, amateurish dime-a-dozen auto-tune-hop. In defense, it seems slightly better in performance than the awful studio version, even sounds slightly better, but top 4 is nowhere in sight for this one.

midnightsun

Veteran
Iowa: Alisabeth von Presly - Wonder
Just hideously noisy and screamy "girl power dance pop" we know too much from Melodifestivalen and the likes.

To me this is the only safe qualifier so far and certainly a contender for the overall win.

Fluke

I really think 4 qualifiers are too few, it could just have been one more, 12/13 entries in the two semis is a fair amount.... it's almost impossible for all of the entries i liked to make it (Fire, New Boot Goofin, Feel Your Love in that order), and Alexa is almost sure to qualify anyway, don't think Michael Bolton is set in stone though, so my 2 favorites could still make it.... i'm just hoping now!

Top Bottom