Staff member
zNJQaqH.png

The Queen of Scots is risen!

giphy.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

daniels1000

Re: SCOTLAND • Vote in WV68 NF!

Voted so far: :mt::in::lond::md:::atti:is::paci::jp::nrwe: Thanks a lot! xhug

Deadline for voting is Tomorrow (August 29), 13:00 CET.

AdelAdel

Re: SCOTLAND • Vote in WV68 NF!

Sorry for not voting, but I didn't even notice this NF :(
Mention me next time you make an NF ;)

daniels1000

Re: SCOTLAND • WV68 • Karen Matheson - Ailein Duinn

WV68
Karen Matheson - Ailein Duinn

Full results of NF:
QzKsREv.png

Thank you once again to everyone who voted! xrose

I gave you an opportunity to pick something just a bit different for Scotland but you decided that I should stick to celtic folk. No problem. :cool: Even though, when I think better, I surprisingly didn't send such a song for a longer time. Also, this song might be a bit different than the other Gaelic songs I've sent so far since it has ethereal-ish and lament-ish feel. I think it was a pretty predictable winner. I'm of course happy with this choice as much as I would be with any other, but "Ailein Duinn" probably represents Scotland the best of all. Gaelic language, tin whistles, bagpipes and all sung by one of the best Scottish Gaelic singers, the wonderful Karen Matheson. I'm really happy to see that this song was loved by some people I didn't think would enjoy it that much, like Kai.

I was very positively surprised to see such a good reception of "Death Comes Howling" by super-unknown Ali Murray. It almost won in the end. It was the only song which didn't receive any 1 pointer and it got some pretty unpredictable top pointers. This haunting piece will most probably get another chance to represent Scotland in the future. "Boudica" was the most divisive song in this selection, getting the most 1s, but at the same time being a favorite for some people. I thought "A Sad Sadness Song" could be the dark horse here but it didn't get the top points from people I thought could love it. I'm pretty sure that you will see Rose McDowall, the vocalist of this song, in Scottish NFs once again, in any shape or form (she was part of numerous projects). Unfortunately, "Ether" didn't etherealize too much most of you and finished on the pretty expected last place. There is another song of Mogwai which I will probably put in one of the future NFs, but I think that one will fail even harder. :(

Stargazer

Mod of All Things
Staff member
Re: SCOTLAND • WV68 • Karen Matheson - Ailein Duinn

Aw, lovely winner! xlove While I would have LOVED for Death Comes Howling to come out victorious, Ailein Duinn is more than deserving! xbow I'm only sad Ether did so poorly. :(

Bless, we had the same top two [MENTION=9441]RainyWoods[/MENTION]! And we used the same voting system too. xheat

daniels1000

Re: SCOTLAND • WV69 • Royal Scots Dragoon Guards - Highland Cathedral

WV69
Royal Scots Dragoon Guards - Highland Cathedral

For WV69 we're keeping the Scottish folk tunes. One of the most popular and most amazing Scottish melodies played on the bagpipes. Even though, the melody was originally composed by German musicians Ulrich Roever and Michael Korb in 1982 for Highland games held in Germany but has undergone various orchestrations later.

Hope you will enjoy it. xrose xheart

ShoeFlo

First of all...Credit where credit is due:

xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow

however...
WV69
One of the most popular Scottish melodies played on the bagpipes.

The melody is as scottish as me, not at all. The melody was composed by German musicians Ulrich Roever and Michael Korb in 1982 (you're welcome, Scotland) :mrgreen:
But of course you are kinda right cause as far as I know this melody is a virally played bagpipe classic in Scotland and I read somewhere that people suggested it as official Scottish National Anthem xfaint But "Flower of Scotland" is amazing too and I wouldnt like to be the person who decides which one would represent Scotland the best xthink is there a time restriction for the length of national anthems? otherwise I would recommend "Aura" or "Pillars of the Earth" by Saor xheart But it's up to the Scots to decide this I suppose :mrgreen:

Anyway, best of luck my friend xrose

daniels1000

First of all...Credit where credit is due:

xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow

however...

The melody is as scottish as me, not at all. The melody was composed by German musicians Ulrich Roever and Michael Korb in 1982 (you're welcome, Scotland) :mrgreen:
But of course you are kinda right cause as far as I know this melody is a virally played bagpipe classic in Scotland and I read somewhere that people suggested it as official Scottish National Anthem xfaint But "Flower of Scotland" is amazing too and I wouldnt like to be the person who decides which one would represent Scotland the best xthink is there a time restriction for the length of national anthems? otherwise I would recommend "Aura" or "Pillars of the Earth" by Saor xheart But it's up to the Scots to decide this I suppose :mrgreen:

Anyway, best of luck my friend xrose

That is correct, I've added some data to the post now! I hope you Germans won't hate me too much. :mrgreen: First I "steal" Hans Zimmer (ok, we have to give credits to the wonderful Lorne Balfe as well xheart) and I win with him for Scotland. Now I also don't give any credits to the original composers of this song. And apparently, I've also "stolen" a future entry from Ben. I'm very sorry, Ben. :( So I guess this melody is also pretty known in Germany? However, I believe the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards' cover/version is the most popular one.

Surely, what I thought with "popular" is that this is one of the most recognized melodies in Scotland. I read it's also usually played on weddings in Scotland for example. And of course, it sounds Scottish and it's composed for bagpipes. Indeed, it's been proposed as the possible Scottish national anthem. Well, there are more than just one popular and amazing melody in Scotland and surely it's not an easy job to pick one. Maybe they can change it from time to time. :mrgreen: In 2006 they held an online poll and 10000 voters decided they would pick Flower of Scotland with 41% of votes (I already sent the Barbara Dickson's version of this song in WV59). Then there was "Scotland the Brave" with 29% and Highland Cathedral with 16% and some more songs were in the game. But I agree with what you said, I would also suggest Saor. Nobody would represent the Scots better than him. xheart

When it comes to the current Scottish anthem, I believe "Flower of Scotland" still works amazing, especially if it's sung like this: xbow

If someone is interested, there are some amazing live versions of Highland Cathedral. I think this one will be especially interesting for you Florian since it was performed in Bremen. :D

ShoeFlo

[MENTION=10742]daniels1000[/MENTION]
I don't actually think that this melody is particularly known in Germany in general. As far as I know, it's very famous in Cologne cause there is obviously an important Cologne local song with the melody of Highland Cathedreal. You must know that Cologne culture is quite independent so some things that are "big" in Cologne are not known or common in other parts of Germany :mrgreen:

Ah, thanks for the link with the performance in Bremen. I didn't pay attention to our "Musikschau der Nationen" event even though I knew that it is held here every year and that it's the most important event for brass music. :mrgreen: If I knew there are played such glorious peaces like Highland Cathedreal I would have bought tickets and invaded the stage. Thanks for teaching me about my home city xheart

daniels1000

Re: SCOTLAND • WV70 • Calum Martin & Isobel Ann Martin - An Iolaire

Better late than never :lol:

WV70
Calum Martin & Isobel Ann Martin - An Iolaire

After failing in last edition, we will try once again with Scottish folk tunes. However, a 180° turn from last time in terms of popularity of the song; from one of the best known Scottish songs to one of the most underrated and unknown songs. The same applies to the artist. He has only 24 listeners on last.fm and all of his songs have <1000 listens on Spotify. Moreover, this song has only 2 listeners. It wasn't even easy to find who sings this song. I find the whole song so haunting; from vocals, over the bagpipes part, to the children choir part (and everything other).

Hope you enjoyed it. xrose xheart

daniels1000

Calum Martin & Isobel Ann Martin - An Iolaire
2nd place, 213 points

Reposting the list of my dear voters:

:12::is::in:::nb:pt::svea: OP
:10::bg::de::jp::lv::md::pl:
:8::mt:
:7:::blgr:il::no:::uusi
:6:::atti:ie:
:5::ca::susa:
:4:::mida
:3::by::eg::fi::pr:
:2::ro:::subc::wscs
:1::fr:

Thanks a lot to everyone once again!
xheart xhug

*enter here missed text about me being very positively surprised about An Iolaire being the most successful Scottish entry ever* - might be edited once

daniels1000

Hello WorldVision, I present you the WorldVision icons™, myself included:

vh49dN7.png

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

Nice to see so many Saor fans on the forum. Am a big fan myself. I love especially his 12 minute songs.

P.S. congratulations again on that wondrous silver place finish with Calum Martin & Isobel Ann Martin.

daniels1000

Unfortunately, I had to close my NF much earlier than I planned to because of obvious reasons. Technically, I could reopen it but since 1. I can't put the deadline on Thursday, 2. I've received a pretty big number of votes, 3. There was already a clear runaway winner and hardly anything could change, I'm not going to do it. I still say thanks to everyone who were planning to vote!

The post with comments and links has been lost but I'm going to post the list of songs here for future reference:
Giles Lamb - Dead Island
FVNERALS - The Hours
Askival - Sorrow Of The Sun
Capercaillie - Breisleach

Voted:

:pa: [MENTION=10140]cegs5[/MENTION]
:it: [MENTION=12553]Krishoes[/MENTION]
::atti [MENTION=12033]Nicholas123[/MENTION]
:lond: [MENTION=14505]Lupus[/MENTION]
:is: [MENTION=11993]whiteshoes[/MENTION]
:md: [MENTION=8763]Gera11[/MENTION]
:in: [MENTION=8788]chontono[/MENTION]
::wscs [MENTION=14007]lavieenrose[/MENTION]
:paci: [MENTION=9441]RainyWoods[/MENTION]
:jp: [MENTION=11243]ZoboCamel[/MENTION]

Thanks a lot! xheart

If you sent me your votes and you're not on the list, please resend them if possible.

Dutchball

The forum went down exactly when I was going to vote here :lol: hoping to do so next time. Good luck! xcheer

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

Hello, in anticipation of possibly getting Saor wearing a disguise at this very edition of the prestigious contest WorldVision, I have made you this present.

5c8zBTX.gif

daniels1000

Re: SCOTLAND

Start of a new edition. Perfect time to introduce you all to my previous entry.

WV71
Giles Lamb - Dead Island Trailer Theme

Full results of NF:
owPbRWZ.png

Once again, big thanks to everyone who voted for :sc::

13th place, 136 points

:12:
:10:::balu:cn:st:de::pl:::subc
:8::bg::in::ie:
:7::is:::nb
:6::il::lv::pt::svea:
:5::uk:
:4:::atti
:3::lond:::sthm::wscs
:2:::mida:pa:
:1::ca::no:

xrose

In WV72, we're going with something a little bit different. A beautiful, little melancholic/nostalgic song by a post-rock band. This time I will probably fail in the semifinal. :D

Top Bottom