The Queen of Scots is risen!

giphy.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Lupus

Piece of Wonk

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
WV121: Callum Beattie - "Some Heroes Don't Wear Capes"

So until two weeks ago I had never heard of this chap. But I was at a reet fancy do in Edinburgh (the Thistle Awards) with friends from the Library where I volunteer as we were up for an award. There was musical entertainment and, well, it was this chap! I wish I had noted down the name of the songs he did because I have a terrible memory, but a bit of hunting on YouTube gave me this wonderful entry. He was an outstanding live performer (sadly not captured in the videos I could find) and I thoroughly enjoyed his style. I went for this song because I think it's such a touching song and, given what's going on in the world at the moment, it's a good sentiment to share :)

theditz83

Veteran
WV121: Callum Beattie - "Some Heroes Don't Wear Capes"

So until two weeks ago I had never heard of this chap. But I was at a reet fancy do in Edinburgh (the Thistle Awards) with friends from the Library where I volunteer as we were up for an award. There was musical entertainment and, well, it was this chap! I wish I had noted down the name of the songs he did because I have a terrible memory, but a bit of hunting on YouTube gave me this wonderful entry. He was an outstanding live performer (sadly not captured in the videos I could find) and I thoroughly enjoyed his style. I went for this song because I think it's such a touching song and, given what's going on in the world at the moment, it's a good sentiment to share :)

I entered Callum in FSC for UK almost a year ago with his song "Connection" after hearing it while shopping in my local Co-op food store (of all places!) He got an okay result, but he definitely has some catchy tunes, so great choice. Best of luck xup

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
Thank you one and all for giving me a most fabulous bronze medal result with Callum Beattie!! One of my proudest moments in WV to have done so well with someone I think very few had heard of before I sent him!

As for next edition, hmm... :unsure: I still have a few names I want to send, but my itchy feet mean that I might end up heading south in the near future - although not for this edition, I promise!

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
So I have come to a decision... It's time for a returning artist whom I discovered thanks to a previous Scottish juror! Which one? Ooo wait and see... ;)

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
WV122: Glasvegas "It's My Own Cheating Heart That Makes Me Cry"
With possibly the longest title I have ever sent to WV, I give you Glasvegas! Well, I don't really... I have to think a certain Mr. Flo Shoes for his introduction to this chap and his group. Glasvegas was sent to WV92 with their song "Ice Cream Van" and I utterly loved the song - so much so that when a CD by the band turned up in my local Oxfam, I bought it, and was slightly surprised to find that "Ice Cream Van" was utterly unrepresentative of the other songs on the CD :lol: I really enjoyed the band and wanted to showcase the other sides of their music in WV! So now it is finally time to bring them back to the WV stage with one of my favourites from their first album. I had a hard time choosing which song to go with, but finally settled on this one! Hope you agree with my choice xlove

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
So for my next entry, I will be holding a national final. Well, hopefully... I am currently in protracted negotiations with the PR guru for the artist in question so I'll keep you updated. Hopefully Ms. Monsoon and her friend will be in a friendly mood once she gets the crate of Bollinger I sent her as a sweetener... ;)

2572092-3x2-700x467.jpg

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
Great song, Robert. Such a shame it didn't make it. :( xrose
^^And "Absolutely Fabulous"! xlove Iabsolutely love it! :lol:
I, somehow, had not seen the series until this year! I've been having an absolute ball with it! There is a connection, I promise ;)

JSSArcos

Ohhh, I want justice ... How did that not qualify xgaah

Glasvegas It's such a good band, i love them ... they and Mogwai must be my favorite bands in scotland hahah

sad that I didn't vote for this semi (I just saw the song now) that would be very high on my TOP.... But Congratulations Robert, mainly for sending in the last 2 editions 2 magnificent songs xbow

Lupus

Piece of Wonk

Last edited:

Eulaliya

Ooooh former ESC winner onboard! To Sir With Love and The Man With the Golden Gun are two of my faves from her :D

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
So for my next entry, my memory got somewhat jogged and I realised that there was something I had been planning on sending AGES ago, but forgot about as it was when the Scottish juror seemed fairly well entrenched, so it slowly slipped out of my memory. It's back now and I am overjoyed to be finally sending it!

(Lulu NF returning next edition. I may have a rethink as to what to include seeing as the three songs didn't seem to grab many people's attention :lol: )

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
WV123: Alasdair Fraser and Natalie Haas - "The High Reel Set"

For WV123, I have dropped back to a piece of music that I first heard a long while back. My Dad had a CD of Scottish tunes played by this pair and I particularly enjoyed this track! It has a lot going - a slower introductory half before it really explodes and comes to life for the final three minutes or so. I was reminded of it last week when a friend of mine was reminiscing about her birthday ceilidh a few years back and it reminded me just how much I love that kind of music! In fact, it's prompted me to find a few other things down this path, so my Scottish stay might just be extended a little longer than I had thought! Anyway, for the time being, I hope you enjoy this dance hit and are reminded of kilts flying everywhere! :D

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
WV1234 National Final - Lulu

I am overjoyed to announce that we have secured the services of the ICONIC Scottish artist Lulu to represent us in WV124. Despite the initial objection from the artist herself, we have been assured by her PR lead, Edina Monsoon, that all is fine!

17992912935233b121a2169416271d6e.jpg

To showcase her immense talent, we have shortlisted songs from across her career to hopefully pique your interest! On with the show!

Relight My Fire (with Take That)

Shout (with the Luvvers)

Faith In You (with, err, an orchestra?)

To Sir With Love (with no one :p )

Given there's only four songs, I'm giving you 6-5-4-3-2-1-0 to play with (no repeats). Votes to me as per usual and the deadline will be roughly the day before the WV124 submission deadline! Hope you enjoy and thanks for listening :D

Copypasta list of entries:

Relight My Fire
Shout
Faith In You
To Sir With Love

Last edited:

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
Thanks to :de: :dk: and :kr: for voting! An early favourite has emerged, but way too soon to say if it'll stay in the lead! ;)

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
Another three icons have voted so thanks to :it: :be: and :lond: for their votes. One song is beginning to run away, but the others are not too far behind!

Top Bottom