Staff member
zNJQaqH.png

The Queen of Scots is risen!

giphy.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

theditz83

Veteran
Re: Scotland (United Kingdom)

Unlikely, but Biffy Clyro, the Fratellis, Glasvegas or Twin Atlantic. Those arent suggestions, theyre demands.

You might be surprised dear boy - three of those groups are already on the shortlist from which the Scottish entries will be decided ;)

Set aside any pre-conceptions you have from my entries in the NSC forum - I aim to showcase every style and facet of Scottish music from the past and present ;)

theditz83

Veteran

Sorry for the double-post, but I wanted to gauge people's preference on the subject of National Final vs. Internal Selection.

I'm pretty sure I know what song I'd send in, but it seems to be the norm for the other regions and countries that they'd be doing an open NF. So what do you guys think - would you be happy to trust my judgement or would you prefer and NF where you can all have your say? I already have a list of over 40 songs that I'd be happy to send to represent Scotland (and the list continues to grow), but I'd probably limit the first NF to 5 songs max.

Just post here saying "Yay, NF!" or "Noo, you choose!" - thankies ;)

Cooler

Banned

Whichever you want.

Anyway, I honestly hope you will be presenting traditional Celtic music also. I am a big fan of it.

Steffan

Which ever you prefer :) But if you decide to hold a NF you can count on me for voting in it :)

LakZaNokte

I won't have nf for first 2 editions xshrug
so, if u really like what u chose, go for it :D

SpZ

Well whatever has a higher chance to end up being as biffy clyro

theditz83

Veteran

Well whatever has a higher chance to end up being as biffy clyro

I have something special planned for those guys in a future contest so look out for that ;)

There will be some more traditional music if I hold an NF as I want the choice to be as varied as possible to reflect all aspects of the Scottish music scene.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys - keep having your say and I'll go with the majority preference ;)

Stargazer

Mod of All Things
Staff member

Why not select internally for the first round or so, and then hold NFs? That's what I'm doing, anyway. And even though I'll be doing NFs later, I still might select internally occasionally. Like maybe once every fifth contest or something like that, just to get a few of my own personal preference in there, every now and then. :)

theditz83

Veteran

I think that my decision is to hold an open NF for this first contest as I am having a tough time deciding on one style or song to put forward (I have too much choice!)

The NF will include 5 songs from a variety of styles and should hopefully showcase some varied talent from our fair nation ;)

theditz83

Veteran

​WELCOME ONE & ALL TO THE FIRST EVER EDITION OF...

NF1promo.png

5 songs, old and new, and from many different genres and artists have come together to fight for the honour of representing Scotland in the first ever WorldVision contest this month in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil!

Below are our competitors - take time to listen and enjoy their compositions, and then check the voting information below to help choose the winner!

WVNF1song1.png

RUNRIG are one of the most successful Celtic rock groups and they formed way back in 1973 of the Isle of Skye. Blending traditional folk instruments and melodies with more mainstream soft rock sounds, they have gained a legion of fans from many different generations across their numerous decades in the business, but their heyday was between 1987 to 1997 when they gained particular notoreity in being one of the few bands to ever achieve commercial success in the UK Singles and Albums charts with music in the Scottish Gaelic dialect.

Their song "Alba" (which translates into English as "Scotland") is taken from their 1987 album "The Cutter & The Clan", and it won an army of new fans when it was used as the theme song for the launch of the BBC's new Scottish language TV station, BBC Alba, in September 2008

WVNF1song2.png

SANDI THOM was one of the first Scottish artists to gain commercial thanks to the Internet, after her series of live webcast performances from her London basement flat grabbed the attention of the bosses at Sony RCA. Born in Banff, Aberdeenshire, her success appeared to many to be an overnight thing, but in reality it was the culmination of years of hard work behind the scenes by Sandi, who had only originally moved to London to pursue a career in song-writing. Her debut song "I Wish I Was A Punk Rocker (With Flowers In My Hair)" became one of the fast selling hits of 2006.

Since then, Sandi has kept a lower profile, trying to remain true to her craft and avoiding the media spotlight as much as possible. Many believe the "The Devil's Beat" - which was the first track on her second album "The Pink & The Lily" - is a direct reference to the trials of being the music industry with its many nasty pitfalls and trying to remain true to yourself.

WVNF1song3.png

Formed in 2006 in Glasgow, this 6 piece Indie pop-punk band sadly never gained the critical or commercial success that they perhaps deserved. In line with a number of other more modern bands, such as Twin Atlantic, their songs could be recognised from the thick Scottish accents that the vocalists in the band don't make any attempt to hide. They are perhaps most famous for one of their tracks - Black Wax - featuring in the FIFA 10 video game.

"Muscle Memory" is an anthemic and raucous crowd-pleaser that features an easy sing-along chorus perfect for those big summer rock festivals. Sadly, the band called it a day in November 2011 and all of the original members have gone on to form two new bands, Alarm Bells and Ex Teens.

WVNF1song4.png

Since bursting on to the UK music scene in late 2006/early 2007, producer (and limited vocalist) CALVIN HARRIS has gone from strength to strength. After originally limiting himself to self-produced and performed tracks in the early stages of his career (such as the quirky "Acceptable In The 80's" and "Girls", it wasn't until he started collaborating with other stars that the international community started to really take notice. After producing songs for Kylie Minogue and Dizzee Rascal (among others), Harris' big international breakthrough came when he teamed up with Rihanna to produce her smash hit "We Found Love", which became Calvin's first success in the US Billboard Charts. He is now regarded as one of the biggest international DJ/producers, and is to Scotland what David Guetta is to France!

"We'll Be Coming Back" saw him back in song-writing mode, as he once again teamed up with Example (who owes much of his own commercial success to Calvin after he produced a number of the biggest hits from his debut album). With Example of vocals and Calvin back in the production seat, this track is still enjoying big success today, not least in the clubs of Ibiza.

WVNF1song5.png

THE DYKEENIES came together in 2005 in Cumbernauld, a town created to house the population overflow from Glasgow in the 1950s. They gained a small yet loyal following in and around the Glasgow area with their Indie Rock style and the band described their main influences as Bloc Party, The Futureheads and David Bowie. After releasing only two studio albums - the first in 2007 and the second in late 2011 - the band made an announcement in early 2012 that they were going their separate ways.

Luckily, before splitting, the band released one last video for the single "Awake" on YouTube, which has come to be almost a swan-song for the band. With its pounding drum beats and driving bass line and the soaring vocals of frontman Brian Henderson expressing the anguish in the lyrics, it remains as a testimony to the band's brief but significant success building their way up from humble beginnings in small competitions in Glasgow's famous King Tut's Wah Wah Hut to the heady heights of the massive O2 arena in London.

VOTING INSTRUCTIONS

Please send your votes in the following format: 5-4-3-2-1 (with 5 being your favourite, and 1 being your least favourite). All votes should be sent by PM to me (theditz83) by 20:00CET on Thursday 6th September.

No late votes will be accepted.

xyaay Hope you enjoyed the show! xyaay

theditz83

Veteran

Voted so far:

SOUTH KOREA
MOROCCO
CYPRUS
CZECH REPUBLIC
SVEALAND
ZAGREB
UUSIMAA
INDONESIA
LITHUANIA
LATVIA
ARGENTINA
PORTUGAL
GREECE
JAPAN

AdelAdel

Hm... will you get angry if I don't vote? :mrgreen:
Although, the first song isn't bad at all :p

theditz83

Veteran

Hm... will you get angry if I don't vote? :mrgreen:
Although, the first song isn't bad at all :p

Why wouldn't you vote if you have listened to the songs? It's up to you, but it would be appreciated if as many people as possible could take the time to vote ;)

AdelAdel

Why wouldn't you vote if you have listened to the songs? It's up to you, but it would be appreciated if as many people as possible could take the time to vote ;)

Because it's the same case as in Lithuania - I didn't really enjoy any of the songs, sorry :oops:

theditz83

Veteran

Okay, well I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy the songs. I hope that you will enjoy our future NFs and entries.

Scotland will be voting in as many NFs as possible tomorrow, and would greatly appreciate everyone else's votes in our NF ;)

Top Bottom