Contact us

Salvador's approval - "Real music" or "Fast food music" game?

A-lister

Veteran
The part I bolded is exactly why Salvador is right in what I think he was trying to get at. At the moment music like what he makes only exists if you search very deep for it. Luckily I had an interest in jazz and alternative music from a very young age as my parents listened to it, but in our day to day lives, we're only exposed to what radios are being payed to play. Your average young person today will only experience what's being fed to them, unless they decide to adventure themselves.

Salvador wasn't hating on pop as well, may I add. In press releases for Salvador's album, he describes it as a mixture of jazz and pop. In an interview, Salvador explained that he listened to hip-hop. I'm pretty sure he's very open minded. I'm like what you describe there myself, and group most pop music together (except strangely ESC pop music because eurotrash is oh so deliciousxheat), but my mind is open for when a good pop song does come along. I like Katy B for instance and some Clean Bandit songs. I just think most current pop is terrible, and the heart isn't so much as in the wrong place, it's non existent.... and that sucks.

Actually, he sounded quite snobbish in his comment, like many pretentious musicians do unfortunately, so here I can't agree. Because he could have just said "there's room for different type of music" and I would totally agree with him, but when he adds "real music" vs. "fast food music" and other remarks it's clear that he didn't just mean that there should be diversity, but rather that some music is beneath him and not as "worthy".

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Actually, he sounded quite snobbish in his comment, like many pretentious musicians do unfortunately, so here I can't agree. Because he could have just said "there's room for different type of music", but when he adds "real music", "fast food music" and other remarks it's clear that he didn't just mean that, but rather that some music is beneath him.

Yeah, and I can't really argue against this at all, as it could be read in such a way, but he singled no one out. Just mentioned the "fast food music" society in which we live, and how it was a victory for "real music". The polite part of me in his situation would have worded it like you said, "there's room for different type of music". Salvador's only "mistake" was being honest. What he said was pretty much like something i'd say in private to a close friend. He said it in front of millions. It could very well be seen as snobbish but then when your kind of music that comes from an extremely sincere place is not given exposure, and you hear the stuff that is, i'm pretty sure strong opinions are what you will have. Music is so important and I think his speech was awesome. I don't care if it makes him look a snob, and i'm someone that listens to everything. I can see why people do care though.

A-lister

Veteran
Yeah, and I can't really argue against this at all, as it could be read in such a way, but he singled no one out. Just mentioned the "fast food music" society in which we live, and how it was a victory for "real music". The polite part of me in his situation would have worded it like you said, "there's room for different type of music". Salvador's only "mistake" was being honest. What he said was pretty much like something i'd say in private to a close friend. He said it in front of millions. It could very well be seen as snobbish but then when your kind of music that comes from an extremely sincere place is not represented or given exposure, and you hear the stuff that is, i'm pretty sure strong opinions are what you will have. Music is so important and I think his speech was awesome. I don't care if it makes him look a snob, and i'm someone that listens to everything. I can see why people do care though.

But why shading Eurovision though? I know you read into it that he was generally speaking, but he said it in the context of winning Eurovision, that finally "real music" won and all that jazz (no pun intended), I mean you don't throw shade at competitors, it's not being "honest", it's being shady. Also, I think Eurovision has proven to be far more open minded than most commercial radio stations, so take your shade on them instead, because in Eurovision you get alot of stuff that would never be played on commercial radio, I mean what radio would touch ethno music for instance? Almost none except for few exceptions.

Alaska49

Is it kind of evil that if I could i'd totally change history and make it win Eurovision over "Waterloo"? "Moja Generacija" is one of the greatest ESC songs ever in my opinion.... oh, but then Abba might not have hit it off big, and we wouldn't have got "Dancing Queen", the ultimate disco hit for feels.
i wouldn't exchange abba's legacy for nothing in this world, but olivia newton john was just fine being 4th with a trash song, so maybe moja generacija could have won instead!

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
But why shading Eurovision though? I know you read into it that he was generally speaking, but he said it in the context of winning Eurovision, that finally "real music" won and all that jazz (no pun intended), I mean you don't throw shade at competitors, it's not being "honest", it's being shady. Also, I think Eurovision has proven to be far more open minded than most commercial radio stations, so take your shade on them instead, because in Eurovision you get alot of stuff that would never be played on commercial radio, I mean what radio would touch ethno music for instance? Almost none except for few exceptions.

Salvador has never watched Eurovision. He said this during interviews, so he doesn't even know the quality or type of music that competes at the contest, so there's no way he'd be able to think "finally real music won". I really do think it was kind of general, but there's no way to know for sure. He performs the most un-hip genre of music imaginable. You will not hear jazz anywhere, yet it's such a deep genre of music. People often say that once jazz has entered your life, it never goes away and I think it's true. He had just won the worlds biggest music contest with a piece of very understated jazz. I think what he meant is it's time for people to listen to music again and care about honest intentions. If he just wants us to be listening to jazz all day then I don't agree, because music should make us dance, laugh, smile and cry. Music is about feeling, and every kind of music so long as it's intentions are genuine, deserves a stage and our ears.

A-lister

Veteran
Salvador has never watched Eurovision. He said this during interviews, so he doesn't even know the quality or type of music that competes at the contest, so there's no way he'd be able to think "finally real music won". I really do think it was kind of general, but there's no way to know for sure. He performs the most un-hip genre of music imaginable. You will not hear jazz anywhere, yet it's such a deep genre of music. People often say that once jazz has entered your life, it never goes away and I think it's true. He had just won the worlds biggest music contest with a piece of very understated jazz. I think what he meant is it's time for people to listen to music again and care about honest intentions. If he just wants us to be listening to jazz all day then I don't agree, because music should make us dance, laugh, smile and cry. Music is about feeling, and every kind of music so long as it's intentions are genuine, deserves a stage and our ears.

Well, we can never know for sure what he meant, it just felt a bit awkward in the context he said it, and I see people who are fans of his entry also agree on that part atleast.

We do agree though that music comes in different shapes and forms and are there to fulfill different emotions, in our darkest times, aswell as in our lightest ones, bottom-line what is "real" for someone can be be considered "fast food" for another, and the other way round.

popavapeur

[MENTION=9441]RainyWoods[/MENTION] I get your point but as A-lister said, what I disliked the most is making a difference between music and music. Furthermore, some esc winners and daring/"real music" entries were rewarded in ESC. Jamala won, Suus came 5th to give a few. So It's like people are noticing now that this kind of music has some appeal but it often has appeal and is rewarded esc-wise and when it works it works big time.
Maybe it doesn't work outside the esc bubble, I can admit that, and our radios (everywhere I guess) airs only the same kind of music and there's no place for songs like Amar Pelor Dois and I admit that 100%.

I'm disagreeing on a specific point : the point of saying that music should have feels and meaning. And I just don't think you can compare all music genres because the main point of electronical music is to be soulless, cold and very repetitive. The old waltz focused on melody or medieval troubadours made easy-listening music with false meaning to please the royalties everywhere in Europe. And that's what makes me sad about this speech because we are pointing out fireworks entries over real music with meaning but that's not even a point of view, there are really music genres that are not aiming at giving a soul or anything because that's in theirs DNA. And people may like it (I Do) and others people are just more in phase with meanings, lyrics, melody, beats and other stuff but music does not prevail on music.

So I was personally offended with Salvador's speech because I love fireworks music, I love big shows and that's why I'm watching this contest : to see the blending between a song and an act to make a show. But I'm fine with an act winning that's focusing only on music and lyrics rather than the show part of it. And when hearing Salvador I felt like I wasn't listening to music that was worth it and so I was kind of "deaf"? (well I'm sure exaggerating but that why I felt afterwards, I was sad and angry) just I don't get the point of saying that the way he did. Okay he speaks his mind, he's very sincere, but that way of thinking -for me- is not really neither good nor useful. Because it tends to make division inside the big realm of music and we don't need to divide people more and more, we just need to celebrate all music in a positive way and be happy that some Yodelling/rap find its public and some Portuguese ballad too.

xrose

A-lister

Veteran
[MENTION=9441]RainyWoods[/MENTION] I get your point but as A-lister said, what I disliked the most is making a difference between music and music. Furthermore, some esc winners and daring/"real music" entries were rewarded in ESC. Jamala won, Suus came 5th to give a few. So It's like people are noticing now that this kind of music has some appeal but it often has appeal and is rewarded esc-wise and when it works it works big time.
Maybe it doesn't work outside the esc bubble, I can admit that, and our radios (everywhere I guess) airs only the same kind of music and there's no place for songs like Amar Pelor Dois and I admit that 100%.

I'm disagreeing on a specific point : the point of saying that music should have feels and meaning. And I just don't think you can compare all music genres because the main point of electronical music is to be soulless, cold and very repetitive. The old waltz focused on melody or medieval troubadours made easy-listening music with false meaning to please the royalties everywhere in Europe. And that's what makes me sad about this speech because we are pointing out fireworks entries over real music with meaning but that's not even a point of view, there are really music genres that are not aiming at giving a soul or anything because that's in theirs DNA. And people may like it (I Do) and others people are just more in phase with meanings, lyrics, melody, beats and other stuff but music does not prevail on music.

So I was personally offended with Salvador's speech because I love fireworks music, I love big shows and that's why I'm watching this contest : to see the blending between a song and an act to make a show. But I'm fine with an act winning that's focusing only on music and lyrics rather than the show part of it. And when hearing Salvador I felt like I wasn't listening to music that was worth it and so I was kind of "deaf"? (well I'm sure exaggerating but that why I felt afterwards, I was sad and angry) just I don't get the point of saying that the way he did. Okay he speaks his mind, he's very sincere, but that way of thinking -for me- is not really neither good nor useful. Because it tends to make division inside the big realm of music and we don't need to divide people more and more, we just need to celebrate all music in a positive way and be happy that some Yodelling/rap find its public and some Portuguese ballad too.

xrose

Preach! xclap

midnightsun

Veteran
Sorry, but I cannot say anything else but I totally agree with A-Lister.

Not butthurt though I wanted Kristian to win - but to me it would have been okay if Francesco had won though I didn't lke that song either.

To me, Salvador is pretentious. You can't tell me he has never watched Eurovision. At least he must have heard about it. He has also listened to the other songs during the jury final or grand final.

tuorem

And I just don't think you can compare all music genres because the main point of electronical music is to be soulless, cold and very repetitive.

I just wanted to react to that claim because it's a bit of an easy leap to me: yes, wanting to compare music genres is a waste of time because it will always rely on one individual's subjectivity and sensibility (by the way, Salvador hasn't stated there was a hierarchy in music genres, as far as I know). HOWEVER, I think it's extremely reductive to say electronic music (or any particular genre for that matter) can't be soulful. Soullessness doesn't refer to anything in particular sonically-speaking, it's not because a song has been entirely composed with organic instruments that it has de facto a special aura - on the contrary - one can find very poignant and life-changing pieces of electronic music on the market. Any genre has its fair share of gems and trash.

To me, being soulful is trying to be part of a musical family while adding one's own spark of personality in the process. For that purpose, some artists aim to push boundaries, some others don't but care about presenting pieces of work whose (vocal and/or musical) interpretation could bring artistic added value to the music genre they evolve.

And then, there are all the others who settle for following trends and formats to the letter. As their musical approach very often lacks genuineness, they won't leave a mark in music and people's minds, because they are replaceable, hence the use of the term "disposable music". While this kind of artists serves a purpose too, the truth is they have always been overrepresented in the media and it's nice imo to see artists who don't "fit the mould" get significant exposure from time to time.

The genuineness and "interesting-ness" of music depends on what people make of it, not a genre per se.

popavapeur

[MENTION=9195]tuorem[/MENTION]

I'm going to precise my thoughts then

Salvador hasn't stated that, true, but he's smart enough to give a second speech in his speech and that's what a lot of others people and myself heard. We can safely say that his speech intend to expose those kind of things unless he denies it or develops his intention. We're not 3 guys stating that but a lot more so I guess there's something controversial inside.

I'm not saying Electronical music is not soulful, I'm saying their purpose is to be soulless. I know it's kind of tricky but I really meant it that way. Electronical music was made to push the boundaries of robotic and computer soundbites to create a cold feeling that could clash with the very rhythmy and melodic Funk, Jazz or Disco. The thing is, not only it worked but it's still a very popular genre today. "Actually you're very right by saying : there are all the others who settle for following trends and formats to the letter" because that's what these kind of music are all about. Pop music is about creating 1000songs to find THE SONG that's gonna break the chart. Pop is always experimenting so there's a lot of "same base song" with a gimmick more, a gimmick less (and then you have 36 songs that sound the same). They're not genuine because they don't want nor need to be genuine. If we compare with cooking : Desserts are all about following a very strict recipe, there's no "maybe", no "genuineness", no "randomly seasoning", still they're sweet and delicious. And they're not above main courses meals or under, they're equal and complete each other. They just don't need the same process of creation. Still I do agree with you with the high representation of some genres and I do find it refreshing too to see artists or music having some exposure from time to time.

I get you point though but we just have to agree to disagree. For me "Soul" is about ourself, I find so much more soul in the repetitive swedish ballad "Dancing On My Own" than in the sweet portuguese ballad "Amar Pelos Dois" and I can't tell somebody that I'm right cause I think "soul" is truly bond with our personnal feeling of music. So I can find soul in a song from Daft Punk, still it's electronical music, they didn't intend to give me soul, still I can find it in my own way cause I relate to it, you know what I mean ? So I can join you in your last sentence : "The genuineness and "interesting-ness" of music depends on what people make of it, not a genre per se." And by that, I stand by my opinion of feeling Salvador's speech quite disrespectful and narrow-minded for an artist.

Realest

From 2019:

Real Music: :nl::it::al::ge::mk:
Fast Food Music: The Rest, especially :is::ch::cy::mt::au::az::sm::es:

Realest

I get that :is: and :au: are not everyone's cup of tea. But the label "Fast Food Music" does not apply here in my view.

I meant from Salvadors View, these Entries are Fastfood Music.

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
real music: ALL 41 songs sent + siren song + songs in national finals

let's call generic commercial ballads "real music" only because they are ballads xheat

screw him and whoever thinks "real music" exist

and an edit not even horrordor would think :is: and even :au: are generic. he would 100% hate it but not say they are fast food music. same with telemoveis.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
I meant from my views, Salvador's opinions are trash and irrel :-)

Realest

For 2021:

:fr::pt::bg::be::nl: is real Music for him.
:is::fi::mt::lt::gr::md::se::rs::cy::il::no::az::sm::de::uk: is Fastfood Music for him.
The Rest is somewhere in between. Finalists only btw..

Top Bottom